Brother multifunction printer/scanner/copier

styxchix, May 21, 11:53pm
I thought I'd try the computing forum for this question - does anyone out there have a Brother DCP195? If so, can you confirm it scans copy to pdf? Dick Smith have said it won't, a very helpful firm in Wellington tells me it will, but I don't want to buy one and then find out it won't and can't return it. Any advice gratefully received!

badcam, May 21, 11:59pm
It uses the COntrol Centre so it will print ot PDF. DSE don't know sh^t.

kevin16, May 22, 12:03am
http://is. gd/cjGYB

badcam, May 22, 12:05am
This is from the FAQ's for that particular printer:

http://welcome. solutions. brother.com/BSC/public/eu/eu_ot/en/
faq/faq/000000/002500/000099/faq002599_000.html? reg=eu&c
=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp195c_all&Cat=14

badcam, May 22, 12:06am
Snap.

styxchix, May 22, 12:06am
Brilliant! Thanks so much for your help - and I agree with your comment too. I could hear the guy umming and aahhing down the phone so I wasn't overly confident! I know very little about these things as you can probably tell. My husband bought one recently from a computer shop here but it turned out not to do pdf and they wouldn't take it back once opened, so we are a little gun shy.

styxchix, May 22, 12:07am
Brilliant! ! Thankyou Computing Thread Guys, you have been a huge help. Really appreciate your quick response, cheers.

badcam, May 22, 12:12am
Glad you had the sense to come here first.

trevix2k, May 22, 12:24am
have you considered other models?

styxchix, May 22, 12:24am
I thought of posting a thread last night but was worried I'd look like a complete thicko... ... ... . . then this morning decided I'd risk it and give it a try lol. Glad I did!

styxchix, May 22, 12:25am
Do you recommend one in particular? The Brother appeals because I've seen it in action and to be honest the price is the most appealing part of all at the moment!

hymac, May 22, 3:20am
Do you XP? My brother does and bought that model Brother printer. If you wanted to change the print from colour to black , when you get to "Preferences" it is in German and another language. Even when you have installed it in "English". You have to go online and inststall new drivers. Even then still had problems. Dick Smith's had no idea. Took it back and bought an Epson. No trouble with that.

For what it is worth

hymac, May 22, 3:20am
Do you have XP? My brother does and bought that model Brother printer. If you wanted to change the print from colour to black , when you get to "Preferences" it is in German and another language. Even when you have installed it in "English". You have to go online and inststall new drivers. Even then still had problems. Dick Smith's had no idea. Took it back and bought an Epson. No trouble with that.

For what it is worth

trevix2k, May 22, 4:32am
My personal preference woulb be HP . My printer is the 2100 series bought it for 38$ 3 years ago. Just remember, the consumables are always expensive, ink and paper. My is 58$ for the XL size but last me about 3 months. That's something to watch out when buying printers.

drcspy, May 22, 6:34am
completely irrelevant anyway its very easy to create pdf files and it's free also... ... .

flockton55, May 22, 10:57am
I think Brother have had a long standing issue with a time-bomb that is impossible to fix and they have spent millions on warranty issues.

http://printerinkcartridges. printcountry.com/brother-printer
-ink-cartridges-articles/top-brother-printer-problems/

cb34gs, May 22, 7:03pm
flockton, that is an interesting artical. I said to myself sometime back that I would never buy another Brother printer, but I did, a DCP185. To date, it seems OK, my last Brother, hell, cannot remember the model now, it was c^&p - it was noisy, slow, would ONLY go well on genuine Brother ink and then when the print head died, it was going to cost me $150 just fro the Brother agents to look at it yet it was still under an extended Brother warranty because Brother knew about the printhead problems. As I say, I bought anothee Brother and thus far OK.

I would NEVER buy an Epson after my experience with one a few years back when the time came to change the ink. I followed the instructions to the letter. In the end i took it back to Epson and stood there while they tried... ... . and failed. I got a new one and guess? when the time came again - the same thing! So that is why I would NEVER buy Epson again.

My choice I think would be for HP followed by Canon.

I print cad drawings only on A4 and they are OK on the Brother, any larger prints, I print as PDF and wander down to the print shop.

My 2 cents worth.

hymac, May 22, 11:00pm
cb34gs

I also have a Epson printner. NO problem at all. Inks very easy to change

kew, May 23, 7:47am
I have a mfc-7840w. It's a laser and it is so easy to use. Really great for scanning to file/email/jpeg etc.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)