Help, PLEASE - my Acer laptop keeps shutting off

I have an Acer laptop (Aspire 5002WLMi), about 3 years old. About 2 months ago it started shutting down like someone had pulled out the battery. I have reinstalled everything, I am using a registry cleaner, have a current anti virus - but it seems to be getting worse - last week it took 5 restarts before I could get to run and use the registry cleaner (which seems to work) and then it was OK! Not good as I was using it for a uni presentation. Anyhoo. . I am running XP, not sure what else people may need to know, but I am at my wits end! ! !

geek_pauapooh, May 31, 8:24 pm

boot a linux live disk and see if it still shuts down if it does it would mean it has nothing to do with windows and is a hardware fault.

geek_jcmp21, May 31, 8:27 pm

Sounds like great advice - where do I get a Linux live disk? Off the web? I am assuming it is a different operating system. My partner seems to thinks because it is really random that it may not be hardware? Not sure if this is good advice :-)

geek_pauapooh, May 31, 8:30 pm

A working Acer that is 3 years old! Count yourself lucky!

geek_r.g.nixon, May 31, 8:31 pm

Yeah - I get that impression. Puppy? ?

geek_pauapooh, May 31, 8:32 pm

Puppy Linux
www.puppylinux.org/main/index. php? file=How%20to%20download%2
0Puppy.htm

geek_r.g.nixon, May 31, 8:33 pm

Did you think of giving Acer a call or go to their website, you might find others have had this problem. - I did and found the fix for my Acer Aspire One not booting. It was a new computer.

geek_rawill, May 31, 8:33 pm

Sadly, didn't think of either! I am happy to try a different operating system as well.

geek_pauapooh, May 31, 8:35 pm

having the same prob this has been a good one only cn use for short periods of time. then its like the plug is pulled.

geek_dbarbara2010@hot, Dec 17, 9:20 am

Is big Bob there?...

geek_guest, Jan 24, 6:25 am