Change channel on old Teac TV to AV without remote

I have just hooked up a dvd player to my old Teac TV. I want to change the channel to AV but it has no remote. I'm not to TV/dvd player savvy. Can anyone help?

geek_ryderc, May 31, 8:59 pm

push channel minus repeatedly

geek_beanie, May 31, 9:10 pm

If it doesn't have a 'source' button to change to AV1, then press the 'channel down' button to go 3-2-1-AV2-AV1...

geek_gyrogearloose, May 31, 9:12 pm

I've tried holding down channel up and down buttons but that doesn't seem to work on this one. Thanks for your input beanie.

geek_ryderc, May 31, 9:15 pm

Are you sure it has an AV channel?

geek_gyrogearloose, May 31, 9:21 pm

Not at all. It has a Scart connector for line in. it has 40 programmable channels. It has a remote sensor on it. There is a PP button, I don't know what it does but it doesn't seem to do much... Does this help?

geek_ryderc, May 31, 9:26 pm

So if it has a Scart connector, have you used a Scart-to-Scart cable to connect the DVD player, or what cable have you used?

I'm still of the opinion that pressing the channel down button repeatedly should get you to the AV channel. Don't hold it - press it, again & again...

geek_gyrogearloose, May 31, 9:37 pm

If I press it again and again it goes from 1;0;39;38... . If I hold it down it just flicks through them. I have a Scart to RCA plug.

geek_ryderc, May 31, 9:44 pm

It should have an AV channel if it has a Scart line in shouldn't it? Otherwise what else would the line in be for?

geek_ryderc, May 31, 9:45 pm

PP button: 'Personal Preference' from memory

geek_ottoitis, May 31, 9:53 pm

You could try a universal remote.

Some TV's can only be set to AV via remote control.

geek_jeremy_74, May 31, 10:04 pm

Yeah I suspect this old girl is one of them. I was hoping that there might be some tricky button combo that might change the channel. looks like it will have to be tomorrows task. Thanks all:)

geek_ryderc, May 31, 10:07 pm

I've noticed Euro TV's with scart inputs will automatically change to AV when a signal is detected.

Not sure if it's the same when using a scart to composite adapter though.

geek_jeremy_74, May 31, 10:11 pm

Oh ok, does this mean I have to have something playing?

geek_ryderc, May 31, 10:16 pm

Just having the device powered on will do it.

May be a signal being sent from scart to scart only though.

geek_jeremy_74, May 31, 10:23 pm

Just in case but are you absolutely sure it's AV "IN" & not "OUT" that you've connected your DVD to on the TV? lol

geek_lostdude, May 31, 10:46 pm

some have a separate AV /TV button.

geek_scuba, Jun 1, 1:04 am

My opinion would be that this cable is the wrong cable, I suggest that this is the kind of cable you would use FROM a Sky decoder (scart) TO a television (composite). You're going in the other direction, FROM a DVD player (composite) TO a television (scart).

The Scart connector has pins for AV-in and for AV-out, but I'm suggesting your scart cable is wired for AV-out while what you need is a Scart with AV-in.

If you go to Dick Smith you'll see what I mean, they sell a Scart box which has RCA sockets to connect an AV cable - and on this Scart box there is a switch to change from Input to Output. This would work for you.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jun 1, 10:30 am

This problem seems to be universal with most crt TVs. I also believe in some unique combo will do the trick to av1. my wife somehow gets to do this by pressing ch and vol wildly and i am unable to trace the combo. :-(

geek_vig, Oct 21, 7:21 pm

I'm in the same position... stupid TV makers don't even give the open of manual buttons on the tv... outraged!

geek_donny_brooks, Mar 26, 5:01 pm

what the bogert is this?

geek_guest, Jul 3, 3:05 am

i have the same problam

geek_guest, Oct 22, 4:40 pm

How to go av mode without remote control on samsung (hitron) tv. it is 11 year old tv

geek_guest, Nov 8, 9:20 pm

It seems all you need to do it fit a jumper (Or switch) between pins 1 and 3 on IC 701 to get AV Mode
See this diagram from the manual
http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/AV_Command.jpg
dezbaz [at] ymail.com

geek_dezbaz, Dec 8, 11:53 pm