Can I downgrade from the Windows 7 on my PC

back to Windows XP? If so can you point me in the right direction, I'd very much appreciate it. I have too many programs and hardware that aren't compatible with W7 and it's driving me insane. THANKYOU.

geek_huddiegirl, Jun 23, 8:49 pm

Is it a new PC? If so, I doubt it.

geek_lostdude, Jun 23, 8:50 pm

Huh? You can install Win XP on any PC, as long as it meets the min system requirements

geek_mone, Jun 23, 8:51 pm

If you installed Win 7 over the top of XP you can't "undo" or "downgrade" it. There's no such thing.

You can install XP on the computer though as mone said.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jun 23, 8:52 pm

Some laptops won't have XP drivers for some components.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 23, 8:56 pm

Yup & even some propriety PC systems won't have xp drivers either.

geek_lostdude, Jun 23, 8:59 pm

You could always UPGRADE to Linux.

Linux Mint would be a good first choice:

http://www.linuxmint.com/

geek_badcam, Jun 23, 9:07 pm

"Upgrade" is your opinion. In my opinion, that would be a downgrade, especially for someone like the OP which obviously has a limited knowledge of computers and would benefit from the user-friendlyness of Win7 (no offence intended).

geek_suicidemonkey, Jun 23, 11:08 pm

They said "back to XP" which suggests XP was on it before.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jun 23, 11:12 pm

ooops sorry, I was called away last night - my apologies for not answering Q. s. I have a new PC, it came with Windows 7 installed. I want to replace that with XP.

geek_huddiegirl, Jun 24, 7:55 am

You shouldn't.

Replace any software that simply won't work (it'll be because its poorly written anyway)

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 24, 7:56 am

Is it a laptop or a desktop? Some of us may have a dead computer with an XP COA sticker that you could buy to use.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 24, 7:58 am

No the XP OEM COA is not transferable. You can not sell it.

geek_vtecintegra, Jun 24, 8:03 am

If your hard drive is SATA you wont be able to install XP straight on to it, You'll need an XP disk with SATA Drivers on it.
However, You can Install XP straight onto an IDE hard drive.

I agree with Vtecintegra tho.

geek_slowenemy, Jun 24, 8:03 am

ok the best thing you can do is to get a tech to partition the system and setup xp on the 2nd partition as a dual boot system... ... Thus you'll have BOTH xp and win7 on the computer and can, at startup choose which you want to log onto... ... . . it's a superior idea as you're not 'burning your bridges' by wiping 7 and then trying to get xp running etc... ... ... ... . it's not difficult either

geek_drcspy, Jun 24, 8:12 am

What make and model is your computer. ? ? ? ?

What programs and devices dont work with Win7? ? ?

geek_pcfix4u, Jun 24, 8:13 am

It worked for me in March. Brand new computer. XP Pro CD (original, not even SP1 version)

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 24, 8:14 am

Of course it's my opinion. That's why I said it.

I disagree. Something like Linux Mint would probably be ideal for someone like the OP. More information is needed of course.

If the OP insists on downgrading to XP, good on them, but why do that when there are better alternatives. Just staying with Windows 7 is a better alternative. XP will soon no longer be supported, security wise, by M$. It's well known for it's security flaws and still unresolved zero day exploits. The more people that look towards moving to Linux, the better, I say.

I also completely disagree with your statement about W7 being more user-friendly than Linux. My experience, through having to constantly sort out friends PC's, tells me otherwise. Those that I know, that have moved onto Linux don't have anywhere never the issues or problems compare to Win7 users, let alone Windows users.

Moving back to XP is a retrograde step. Rather than getting upset that I should dare have the temerity to advocate Linux, you, suicidemonkey, should be either supporting my suggestion or spending your time trying to convince the OP to stick with Windows 7. I suppose though, you're happy for them to go back to XP.

geek_badcam, Jun 24, 8:15 am

And if the OP has 4GB of RAM, XP would only use 3 to 3. 5GB of it.
- Ubuntu is the best if you are not a gamer.
- Windows 7 is the best otherwise.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jun 24, 8:31 am

depends on whether it's ide emulated in bios... .

geek_drcspy, Jun 24, 8:34 am

Well, XP 32 bit would only use 3GB of it. I don't think there are that many 64 bit copies of XP around though.

geek_bidda2, Jun 24, 9:00 am

So you have old hardware you're trying to use. what is it? Makes and Model numbers please. Also, what software isn't working? that's usually quite a simple fix.

geek_badcam, Jun 24, 9:08 am

slowenemy wrote:
If your hard drive is SATA you wont be able to install XP straight on to it, You'll need an XP disk with SATA Drivers on it.
However, You can Install XP straight onto an IDE hard drive.
/quote]

Er, what? Many machines will have a SATA compatibility mode you can set in the bios. With a bit of cunning you can enable AHCI after XP is installed.

geek_gibler, Jun 24, 9:11 am

Is there any specific reason you want xp? just used to it or bit of software not working on 7? ?

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 24, 9:39 am

thanks everyone, I think I'll go with what drcspy said about getting a tech to partition the system - sounds like a good solution. For those asking, it is a desktop, HP2009f - none of my kids CD ROMs will work on it because W7 doesn't support them, my HP all-in-one printer can't be installed forthe same reason and a few other minor things. I was only saying I wanted to revert back to XP because thats what was on my last PC when everything worked. Obviously I am ignorant about anything other than the basics. I really appreciate all your posts though, it's always very helpful in here. Thanks.

geek_huddiegirl, Jun 24, 11:13 am

Thats you're screen model number, the one off the PC its self would be handy. OK, I would first get the tech to try and install the games in Windows XP compatibility mode, which is built into Windows 7, and also have you tried HP's website for newer printer drivers? Going back to XP you will need to buy an XP licence to do it legally and it really is a bit of a step backwards, security and useability wise.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jun 24, 11:17 am

I did this yesterday.

Use windows 7 disk management to shrink your current volume. This will create unallocated space (presuming your hard drive is not near full capacity). Do not reassign this leave it unallocated and let the winxp install do that later.

Reboot pc, change bios to boot from DVD, throw it in boot it up. If your sata HDD doesn't get picked up by windows and you have no floppy, then you can just make a slipstream cd with the sata drivers on it from your windows xp cd using a program called nLite.

When xp setup loads, use its installer to take the unallocated space, partition it then quick format. Install xp, hopefully on reboot it boots to XP (else you have to restore the win7 bootloader I forget exact commands and then install EasyBCD in win7 and setup the loader from there instead) else if xp loads then install EasyBCD, this will reset the bootloader so you can boot back to Win7 on startup.

Done.

If your ok with computers this is about a 5/10 in difficulty if you've never installed windows maybe 6-7/10. It's pretty easy just little things may stump you but anyone can do it if they spend the time to research a bit.

geek_quick-trade, Jun 24, 11:54 am

It may be easy for computer literate people but when poster 1 says that she is not computer literate and only knows the basics those instructions are not really helping her.

geek_ringo2, Jun 24, 12:56 pm

upgrade your hardware and stick with win7, xp is old and will soon be unsupported.
or at least dual boot xp and win7 or dual boot with some kind of linux like mint [as above]

geek_0800xford, Jun 24, 1:02 pm

I admit I didn't read OP fully. But most people know someone with enough PC knowledge who could probably do it, have them follow those instructions or similar (plenty around) and then give them a dozen beer or a nice meal as payment :)

geek_quick-trade, Jun 24, 1:31 pm

Hmm, I was near computer ignorant when I first used Linux Mandrake and I found it made vastly more sense than Windows did (Windows being 98 and XP), and was more user friendly. That was in 2002.

I haven't tried Win7. I feel no need, no desire - I am well over the Windows world. gnome, xfce, and kde are incredibly easy desktop environments to use and are highly customisable. While many Win-apps will run in wine (I don't bother because the free apps in the repos get my jobs done), I can see why a careful Windows user used to certain Win-specific programs and isn't a tinkerer would be inclined to stay with M$, even though I feel Mint would be a better choice.

geek_rua69, Jun 24, 1:42 pm