Unable to access any Microsoft web site

When I try to access any web site with "Microsoft" in the address my browser displays a message that it cannot be found. This doesn't occur wit any other addresses. I have tried browsing withMS Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome and it's the same with them all. - Microsoft help desk declined to help and correspondence to them has gone unanswered and of course I can't access the Microsoft knowledge base.
- Any suggestions, please?

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 7, 3:17 pm

Can you get to any security software sites? .

www.avast.com
www.symantec.com

geek_jcmp21, Jul 7, 3:23 pm

?????????????

geek_malachiman, Jul 7, 3:36 pm

Try the free program from malwarebytes.org

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 7, 6:12 pm

Sorry but I can't read Braille

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 7, 10:36 pm

r. g. nixon wrote:
Try the free program from malwarebytes.org[/quote

I have tried that, also AdAware] and SpyBot. A clean bill of health on all counts

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 7, 11:02 pm

Malwarebytes, updated, and run in safe mode?

geek_dunedin_ree, Jul 7, 11:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I have very satisfactory software and hardware security on all counts, so I don't think those offerings would be any improvement. I don't think it's a security problem, I think there is maybe some blockage at the Microsoft end.

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 7, 11:12 pm

If there was, then millions of users would also be complaining.

Suggest that you do a Malwareytes scan in safe mode.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jul 7, 11:15 pm

I was suggesting you try accessing those sites to see if you were being blocked from them by some nefarious software.

geek_jcmp21, Jul 7, 11:21 pm

Are you able to access from any other machines from you network? .
Does the URL resolve to microsoft ip addresses?
have you tried a tracert?

geek_jcmp21, Jul 7, 11:24 pm

zl2oah, had a callsign like that once upon a time, long time ago tho,

questions, , you've tried several browsers with no luck, so which version of windows, xp, vista, win7? ,

if xp, using firefox, go to tools, options, and click on network tab, see 'configure how firefox connects etc, clcik on the settings box, does it show 'no proxy or auto detect proxy, change it so it has 'no proxy' selected, restart the computer and report back, if you cannot get back you can change it to auto detect and then try again

in one of the later windows updates this has often been changed in the process and depending on how your machine is configured can cause the type of problems you have, just changing it to something else and even sometimes changing it back after a restart may fix it, defies logic I know but in some cases does work

geek_skin1235, Jul 8, 7:28 am

I have a similar problem. Cannot access any microsoft website. I have an Xp and have run all the standard checks - malwarebytes, spybot and also have a licesenced anti virus.

I might try the safemode malware run though. will report if it works...

geek_gul, Jul 8, 7:55 am

Look in windows\system32\drivers\etc, if you have a HOSTS file there (no extension), rename it to HOSTS. LOG and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then edit the file with Notepad, removing the microsoft entries, then rename it back.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 8, 8:33 am

Thanks, but sadly it makes no difference.

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 8, 9:50 am

who is your ISP? have you told them? maybe reset your router? do you have any live linux discs you could try?

geek_0800xford, Jul 8, 9:56 am

I'm using Win XP Professional and Firefox 3. . 6. 6, although as I mentioned the problem arises with other browsers. I tried what you suggested but again, no luck.

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 8, 10:19 am

Thank you. My ISP says it's a Microsoft problem. No I haven't ventured into Linux. There's nothing amiss with the browser i general, but this one annoying feature.

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 8, 10:21 am

WHO IS YOUR ISP?

geek_0800xford, Jul 8, 10:22 am

Thanks, I hadn't thought of running it in Safe Mode. It didn't find anything amiss.

geek_zl2aoh, Jul 8, 10:23 am

Why would the problem be at microsofts end? .

Have you tried connecting from another machine on your network?
What IP is your machine resolving microsofts URL?
Do you get your DNS from your router, or is it set static in your network config?
what's the results of tracert to Microsofts site?

geek_jcmp21, Jul 8, 12:26 pm

Solved. Repaired my windows xp installation. And the best part is almost all my old applications seem to work!!

geek_gul, Jul 9, 3:47 am