Trying to Access Hulu here in NZ

Can someone else have a go at following these instructions?

Doesn't work for me sadly (on a Mac) but would love to get it going!

http://gizmodo.com/5583762/access-hulu-from-outside-the-us-w
ithout-a-proxy-server

geek_aarun1, Jul 11, 8:37 pm

What US website IP address are you using?

geek_jcmp21, Jul 11, 9:09 pm

You can do it using this. It is a VPN (so technically is a proxy)
http://www.anchorfree.com/

Im not sure if it works on mac though

geek_ferita, Jul 11, 10:15 pm

ugh windows exe

geek_seriouslycgi, Jul 11, 11:30 pm

go to the settings for iphone and try those

geek_seriouslycgi, Jul 12, 1:12 am

jcmp, just pinged google.com through terminal and copy pasted the IP address from there.

But I pinged a whole bunch of .com websites (gizmodo, Apple, Engadget etc) and none worked. Did any of you guys actually try the instructions in the article?

I'll have a look at that website now, cheers guys :)

geek_aarun1, Jul 12, 6:44 pm

Those instructions are for a mac. I would try it but not to interested in getting hulu.

geek_malachiman, Jul 12, 6:53 pm

Great, now this is common knowledge it will not work anymore. :(

geek_richms, Jul 12, 10:16 pm

just find a VPN that works on mac

geek_quick-trade, Jul 13, 2:40 pm

i got it going with the technique on #1, my wife is happy now she can watch all the shows she wants lol thanks, remember you have to use superuser to manipulate the firewall on the two decent operating systems.

mepis linux 8 and firefox 3. 5. 6

now i need to figure out how to save the vids

geek_seriouslycgi, Jul 13, 5:57 pm

I think if you pinged google you may get a server that's not actually in the US. You might have to find an IP from a regular home IP range from over there maybe.

geek_jcmp21, Jul 13, 6:58 pm

If you have a Linux machine at home and a shell anywhere in the US, it's really easy. "ssh -D 1080 youruser@shell-host.com" from your Linux machine, then configure your browser to use localhost:1080 as a SOCKS5 proxy.

geek_little_egypt, Jul 13, 9:33 pm

the way in the first post is a direct connection you dont even use a proxy, its pretty awesome and the speed on 480p is good enough to watch, no buffer anyway though cos they only stream and cache 3-4mb of data.

geek_seriouslycgi, Jul 13, 10:58 pm

i dont think they really care if you exploit it anyway, they want to go international, so hopefully they don't plug that hole.

geek_seriouslycgi, Jul 13, 10:59 pm

Are you running a firewall, or did you just block the port on your router? What IP address did you use for Hulu? Is it72. 247. 244. 97

geek_badcam, Jul 15, 5:04 pm

I have a webhost in the states, that I've set up a password protected proxy server. Could you please give me some advice on how I can use this to connect to Hulu, as in, the correct ssh command? And so, once I'm running that in the terminal. What next? Foxy proxy in FF? Thanks.

geek_badcam, Jul 15, 5:07 pm

sorry, i have just been using random ips (lesser known websites (randomsite. url) cos they seem to stop working after a few times. iptables. your supposed to put in an ip of any machine in usa.

geek_seriouslycgi, Jul 18, 6:40 pm

That's what I did too. I think I pinged walmart or something then just changed the last octet

geek_jcmp21, Jul 18, 6:59 pm