Thunderbird wont open........

and when i try to uninstall it, it wont either, anything I can do to fix this please? ?

geek_cat1340, Jul 29, 4:47 pm

do you get any error messages or... ?
is it a new installation or... ?

geek_0800xford, Jul 29, 5:26 pm

Close it before uninstalling it. Do you mind losing all the mail?

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 29, 5:40 pm

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:454 4. 7. 0 TLS not available due to local problem.

Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp. unifone.net.nz was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.

these are the messages i get when trying to send an email... ... ... ...

geek_cat1340, Jul 29, 11:33 pm

Are you using Linux? http://is. gd/dRpvT

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 30, 8:20 am

Most ISP mail servers in New Zealand do not use any sort of authentication other than source IP. The default for Thunderbird is authenticated SMTP and you probably need to turn that off, or change it to SSL if your provider supports that.

geek_little_egypt, Jul 30, 8:28 am

im on vista home basic and its thunderbird 3. 1 i think the latest one anyway

geek_cat1340, Jul 30, 1:24 pm

thanksw have done that and it still wont send, the same for my windows mail it brings up the same message

geek_cat1340, Jul 30, 1:25 pm

An unknown error has occurred. Subject '', Account: 'pop3. unifone.net.nz', Server: 'smtp. unifone.net.nz', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 454 4. 7. 0 TLS not available due to local problem', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

thats from windows mail account

geek_cat1340, Jul 30, 1:26 pm

is it set up correctly?

www.unifone.net.nz/smtp_thunderbird. php

geek_0800xford, Jul 30, 1:27 pm

yup checked all of that

geek_cat1340, Jul 30, 2:14 pm

have you called your isp?
have you googled the error?
do you have another email client you can use [to test]
why can't you uninstall it?

geek_0800xford, Jul 30, 2:19 pm

yes
no
yes
have now
I closed thunderbird and went to windows mail and it does the same thing, as in the above post, havent googled it though ill try that thanks... ... ... .

geek_cat1340, Jul 30, 8:08 pm

google didnt help much

geek_cat1340, Jul 31, 3:15 pm

Set up a free email account at gmail.com

geek_r.g.nixon, Jul 31, 3:51 pm

i got one and its a pain in the ass tryin to use i receive emails at my other account and have to go across to gmail to send its alot of mucking around,

geek_cat1340, Jul 31, 4:59 pm

Pretty sure it's a missing library in Windows, which means it'll affect any program that wants to use TLS (Transport Layer Security. . aka encryption)

But I've googled a fair amount and I can't any information about what exactly would be screwed up to cause this problem.

geek_little_egypt, Jul 31, 5:13 pm

random suggestion; updating MSIE just might repair the TLS library in Windows. Worth a shot!

geek_little_egypt, Jul 31, 5:16 pm

thanks ill give it a shot

geek_cat1340, Jul 31, 10:49 pm

nope that didint work, any other ideas anyone please? ? ?

geek_cat1340, Aug 2, 9:34 am