Suspended from ISP for using Torrents !

Suspended from ISP for using Torrents ! My ISP suspended me for 5 days for using torrents. They said Lions Gate Entertainment sent them a notice about me using torrents. My ISP said if it happens again, they will have to disconnect me, because of threat from Lions Gate.

geek_mone, May 13, 2:45 pm

What ISP? :)

geek_darrylwilliams, May 13, 2:46 pm

Yeah, what ISP? Friend sent me a PM on Yahoo! a while ago telling me that a Rellie got a letter from Paramount accusing him of downloading a movie he's never seen before. Methinks we will have to be more vigilant! Bugger!

geek_sighkick, May 13, 2:50 pm

Probably Xnet They have a 2 strike policy, you get 1 warning, any more and they kick you off. However with the new copyright law in effect ISPs are now bound by law to do something about those notices so don't be surprised if other ISPs start doing it as well

geek_evoeater, May 13, 2:51 pm

The Rellie mentioned above .... uses XNet too... so it looks like it is an XNet thing. The point is, he does do torrenting but he never downed that particular movie.

geek_sighkick, May 13, 2:55 pm

Evoeater is right Xnet

geek_mone, May 13, 2:55 pm

They said one of my torrents happened to be a Lions Gate licensed product.

geek_mone, May 13, 2:56 pm

New thread perhaps? Heading: XNET Dobs Users In for Torrenting!

geek_sighkick, May 13, 2:57 pm

Im on xnet using rapidshare, getting full speed download n all movies games and applications, fun fun fun

geek_graw3, May 13, 2:59 pm

Sighkick 2 possibilities. The Anti-Piracy investigation Company commissioned by the big Entertainment Companies track IPs of downloaders, or that Xnet dobs them in. Considering the struggle for ISP market share, I think it is the latter. I dont think Xnet can afford to kick customers out, but xnet also cannot afford lawsuits or legal actions.

geek_mone, May 13, 3:01 pm

Sorry I mean its the former .

geek_mone, May 13, 3:01 pm

Then wonder why.... Everyone mentioned so far, poster #1 and my rellie are both on XNET - coincidence? Are they actively monitoring traffic? Are the XNET clients all bad buggers and we are all ^Angels^ ?

geek_sighkick, May 13, 3:04 pm

They'll be outa business in quick time if they follow through on everyone that does it. Lol, that they weren't even accurate with the actual movie he's supposedly downloaded.

geek_paddaricko, May 13, 3:16 pm

Does he use peerguardian? Apparently not fail safe but adds some security to your downloads.

geek_paddaricko, May 13, 3:19 pm

#13 paddaricko tXnet wouldnt be doing it unless they really have to. Obviously the threat of legal action worries them. You think the manager would risk his job by kicking out customers unnecessarily?

geek_mone, May 13, 3:21 pm

#12 Xnet don't monitor the traffic themselves, they act on notices given to them by the piracy police. They then link the IP to whoever was logged on at the time and tell them. Stay off the public trackers and/or rent a seedbox

geek_evoeater, May 13, 3:36 pm

@#1 You're probably a dumbass that didn't set encryption on in your torrent options and/or use a port that being tracked. El stupido.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 3:36 pm

Dudekrulz probably, i regret not hanging out with geeks at school.

geek_mone, May 13, 3:45 pm

I am on xnet 2 However i have to agree with above. Be careful with which sites you download form. Xnet doesnt care what you do but if a torrent site gave up your IP and it can be traced backed to your ISP then they have to do something about it. I use peerguardian2 sometimes, if i am not downloading from the piratebay, isohunt or superfundo. These sites will not give up your IP addresses but other sites will.
ps make sure you have utorrent's encryption on.

geek_qazzy03, May 13, 3:50 pm

You do know... that people that typically look like geeks in high school comeout quite hot in later life and more successful in typically all aspects of life. Nice stereotyping though. Anyway, to properly help you out, what torrent client you got? Also some of the tools used by hired anti-pirate groups is the use of what I call 'baiter-torrents'. See moi video I made when Mediadefender emails and phone calls got leaked (due to lack of basic corporate security on one end and the dumbass that forwarded all the internal company email to a gmail address):

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 3:51 pm

If you have utorrent go to 'preferences' then 'bittorrent' then under 'protocol encryption' set it to 'enabled'. Also with your port, make sure it's a port 60,000 and up and or course if needed, forward that port and make sure the 'randomize port' box is unticked (unless you are ultra paranoid and don't mind a slower speed for extra paranoidic security).

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 3:54 pm

You dont have to be a geek... I didn't start until i got to Uni.
only then did i learn of the magical world of p2p.

geek_qazzy03, May 13, 3:56 pm

#20 dudekrulz I never found any geek boys or non-geek boys hot, but thats just me. Anyway I am thinking of using peerguardian2 or some other programme to hide or at least block my IP. that would be a great start.

geek_mone, May 13, 3:58 pm

Also the use of private trackers greatly reduces the chance of 'baiter' torrents.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 3:58 pm

@#23 Might slow down ya speed though.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 3:58 pm

Ditch Torrents and go Usenet you'll never go back!

geek_rhys.m, May 13, 4:00 pm

@#26 True but torrenting is free you see....

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 4:00 pm

It is interesting that the bit torrent protocol and clients are being singled out at the moment, as the big p2p threat, where as usenet and ftp sites actually have far more members yet are harder to track down. Because anyone can use bit torrent with relatively little knowledge it is being targetted where as I only know of one ftp farm (ftp forest) that has closed down in the last 2 years and I know of no successful prosecutions or raids on usenet provider companies. I think this is a case of being seen to do something rather than go ing after the source since torrent releases trickle down from the topsite ftp servers to access groups then on to private torrent sites and finally public ones like mininova etc. So in reality they are going after the easiest targets rather than attempting to close the source and as fast as one is shut down another 4 pop up. As for ISP's here in New Zealand the Cease and Desist letters are the only thing these companies can do, the cost of mounting individual prosecutions here isn't worth the time.

geek_madazu, May 13, 4:01 pm

If u want faster Utorrent
it worked for me. I know they guy sounds a bit weird but he explains how to do it easy as.

geek_qazzy03, May 13, 4:01 pm

I think he had the mic too close to the bass. liked the sound of the old typewriter though.

geek_paddaricko, May 13, 4:35 pm

#1 ouch so where to from here mone?..move to another BB isp ( ugh! what a hassle ) 2. Put up with them forever filtering every ounce of data you pull online ( you'd be naive to think your not in there blackbook of shitlist customers ) or 3. staying the hell away from public trackers and randomizing ports every session..

geek_tessal, May 13, 5:11 pm

Tessal Not usre, I dont want to tie in 12 month contracts that Vodafone and Orcon are offering, and Telecom is way beyond my budget for big data plans. $80 is a joke. Just wait and see.

geek_mone, May 13, 5:26 pm

Yeh,i hear yah man you've probably incurred a huge headache looking at other options no doubt..

geek_tessal, May 13, 5:31 pm

Rhys.m (usenet) I use easynews,one of the best in my opinion

geek_peepme, May 13, 5:52 pm

Mone must have been your wireless router cos you have no idea what they are talking about...... get dban!

geek_seriouslycgi, May 13, 5:56 pm

Only heard good things about Easynews however their lack of an unlimited plan (last I checked) led me to go with Have been with them for about 3 years now and have definitely got my moneys worth haha. Do you use the HTTP interface or do you use a NNTP client?

geek_rhys.m, May 13, 5:57 pm

.... Can an ISP just 'look' at what your doing on the internet ? (vodafone/ihug)

geek_pixma, May 13, 6:03 pm

Rhys.m I use web interface but i also use reget to maximise my download speed.But what is the use of unlimited when you have a data cap ?easynews have 20GB per month and i am on a 15GB data cap,so that is plenty for me

geek_peepme, May 13, 6:15 pm

Yeh,they can but you really need too give them a good reason too dig up dirt on complaints p2p, spam abuse..etc

geek_tessal, May 13, 6:16 pm

Fair enough, I have Go Large so its well worth it for the unlimited plan.

geek_rhys.m, May 13, 6:17 pm

21. You use random ports? That would suggest that you use UpnP on your router. A bit risky don't you think?

geek_badcam, May 13, 6:31 pm

@#41 I don't use random ports. I have a specific port for it. Good thing about cable = no need to port forward.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 6:36 pm

@#37 No, but they do know typically what ports are typically used for p2p applications thus monitor them and that's why you always change the default port, preferably to anything above 60,000 as they're rarely used thus rarely monitored ports.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 6:38 pm

Then why did you say tick "randomise ports"? I'm not familiar with cable modems, but to do this on a regular BB modem means they need to have UpnP enabled. That's not good. I assume that you meant to say that they should choose a random port in the 60000+ range. They should NOT put a tick in randomise ports for a regular modem.

geek_badcam, May 13, 6:41 pm

RE #37 pixma, your ISP can tell what you are doing on the net because data is passed through specific ports and also the type of data can be found out by the protocol being used, so randomising the ports is very little use here since the packets can be 'sniffed' by your ISP, the data is after all being passed through their routers.Utorrents inbound protocol encryption is some help here since it spoofs the type of data, but if you have a huge amount of traffic going through a random high UDP or TCP port it doesn't take a genius to work out that it is p2p data that is being downloaded .The simple answer is you are not as anonymous on the internet as you think you are, and if your ISP receives a C&D letter from one of the companies they are bound to look into your traffic history to see whether the claim is supported.

geek_madazu, May 13, 6:43 pm

... You do realise that protocol encryption provides NO anonymity or confidentiality. Anyone connected to the tracker can see your IP address. It's sole purpose is to make it harder for ISPs to shape your torrent traffic.

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 6:43 pm

... Also you should still forward the port you choose for torrents if you have a router between the cable modem and your PC

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 6:46 pm

@#45 "The simple answer is you are not as anonymous on the internet as you think you are" - Usenet = basically anonymous. Currently too stingy to sign to a Usenet newsgroup. Enabling encryption in your bittorrent client (both incoming and outgoing) is a must for torrents.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 7:01 pm

@#44 Re-read my original post. I said make sure it's UNTICKED.

geek_dudekrulz, May 13, 7:02 pm

... Explain why? It's only a must do if you are experiencing slow performance as a result of traffic shaping.

geek_vtecintegra, May 13, 7:02 pm