Alternative DVD Player for Mac OS X

I have downloaded VLC but cannot get it to play my DVD. VLC has the little box I press play and it brings up the black screen which shows the title of my movie then the whole screen box disappears. Am sitting here going WTF? Any help appreciated - ta.

geek_chatrbox, Aug 13, 8:10 pm

Just one DVD or all of them?

geek_dunedin_ree, Aug 13, 8:13 pm

Have tried a handful to see and it is all of them.

geek_chatrbox, Aug 13, 8:16 pm

So you're saying that your Mac won't play any DVD either in the DVD player or VLC?

Do you actually have a DVD reader in your Mac?

geek_dunedin_ree, Aug 13, 8:17 pm

Yea have dvd reader. Only have one more region change available on my dvd player so want something else to watch dvds with.

geek_chatrbox, Aug 13, 8:19 pm

What happens when you use the built-in dvd player?

Read: http://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html

geek_dunedin_ree, Aug 13, 8:20 pm

It asks me to set region code but I do not want to use up my last one. Have already read the faq's and to no help. Am reinstalling to see if that makes a diff.

geek_chatrbox, Aug 13, 8:23 pm

You didn't read all the FAQ's then.

Does VLC support DVDs from all regions?
This mostly depends on your DVD drive. Testing it is usually the quickest way to find out. The problem is that a lot of newer drives are RPC2 drives these days. Some of these drives don't allow raw access to the drive untill the drive firmware has done a regioncheck. VLC uses libdvdcss and it needs raw access to the DVD drive to crack the encryption key. So with those drives it is impossible to circumvent the region protection. (This goes for all software. You will need to flash your drives firmware, but sometimes there is no alternate firmware available for your drive). On other RPC2 drives that do allow raw access, it might take VLC a long time to crack the key. So just pop the disc in your drive and try it out, while you get a coffee. RPC1 drives should 'always' work regardless of the regioncode.

geek_dunedin_ree, Aug 13, 8:25 pm

Have just used up my last region change. Piss me off. Whoever thought of limiting the region changes is a cucking funt.

geek_chatrbox, Aug 13, 8:35 pm

If you didn't limit them there would be no point having regions.

Oh well, buy a $50 region-free dvd player and watch it on the TV instead.

geek_dunedin_ree, Aug 13, 8:37 pm

Havn'ttried it but have a look at this
http://www.viddler.com/explore/since76/videos/20/

geek_dbolton, Aug 14, 8:41 am

Depending on your mac's dvd drive you may be able to unlock your drive. A search for RegionX and drive unlocking should help here. This involves flashing your drive to a modified firmware-note this sometimes kills the drive so approach with caution. Research via google.

VLC can to a degree circumvent locked drives by ignoring the RPCC coding but only for some dvd's, in conjunction with Fairview software (versiontracker.com) the dvd's that can be accessed increases a little.

geek_pogue1, Aug 15, 12:36 am

I agree. It's especially frustrating that not all of the DVD's sold in NZ are the correct zone. If a zoned DVD player/DVD drive can be sold in NZ then all of the DVD's sold in NZ should be the correct zone. Alternatively if multizone DVD's can be imported and sold in NZ, then only unlocked/multizone equipment should be sold.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 15, 11:29 am