Faulty WD 1GB SATA drive - Replacing Circuitboard.

My WD Elements 1GB external drive died today. I wouldn't mind some of the stuff off it (luckily I had backed up my important stuff). Unfortunately, I ripped it out of the enclosure and stuck it in a working machine and it won't even show up in disk management (shows up in BIOS though). So it's not the enclosure, it's the actual HDD. I need to buy a new HDD to replace it. . I'll get the same one. Is there any reason why I can't use the new drives circuitboard (not to be confused with the enclosure's circuitboard) on the faulty HDD to rule out that as a problem. Have you guys used a donor circuit board on a HDD?

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 12:16 am

yep - needs to be (in general) an exact match though (same firmware etc)

geek_gibler, Aug 21, 12:31 am

Cheers. Bit of a gamble then, even with the same model WD Elements external there could be a different beast inside. Will have a crack tomorrow and report back. Looks like I need to buy a set of Torx screwdrivers too gu'h.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 12:43 am

Yeah I've heard of it being done but I wouldn't attempt it. Hell I just replace aHDD in a dead notebook today and gave it to my wife to replace her heap of $hit and she thinks I'm clever. Please don't spoil the illusion *G*

geek_radiowaves, Aug 21, 12:43 am

warranty? CGA? ... ... . . if not either use hoursssss of your life you will never get back trying to do as you suggest or simply sigh and remember shite happens:)

geek_dino7, Aug 21, 12:49 am

Will a warranty cover data recovery? I'd be pretty iffy about trusting some tech with my shite anyway. If I can get my stuff off it, i'll put it back together and them claim warranty.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 12:54 am

WD warranty and service is excellent. Fill out an RMA form.

geek_peter148, Aug 21, 3:32 am

wont cover data they never do

geek_drcspy, Aug 21, 4:24 am

Hey puddleduck00.

Boot from a Hiren disk and run getdataback.

There are 2 versions of getdataback on the disk, Fat32 & NTFS

You can run this from windowsas well.

geek_pcfix4u, Aug 21, 8:34 am

I might actually give that a go, thanks! It's worth a shot. I tied the WD diagnostic utility, but it only recognises the drive, won't do anything else, says something about a cable error (which I have ruled out).

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 10:59 am

RE: but it only recognizes the drive, won't do anything else
That's a good sign, I reckon getdataback will crack it.

Good luck

geek_pcfix4u, Aug 21, 11:07 am

If you've opened it up, you can forget about them honoring any warranty it may have had.

geek_jayc2007, Aug 21, 11:25 am

Only if you leave evidence.

geek_pcfix4u, Aug 21, 11:38 am

Have done this twice, once successfully and once not. That's not much of a sample to go on, but it's enough for me to say sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. YMMV ;)

And after recovering the data (or not) I've always put the board back into the "good" drive and tossed the "faulty" one, rather than keep using a drive that might still have other problems. .

geek_little_egypt, Aug 21, 11:55 am

Come on dude, give me some credit

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 12:43 pm

It didn't work haha. I changed it over fine, but I think the firmware may be different as they were manufactured on different dates. I'll just cut my losses I think. I lost 800GB of stuff, but the important things like my photos and Uni documents were synced to another drive.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 12:44 pm

To avoid this happening again I'm going to sync two external drives. Do you guys know of any software that will sync in realtime? I have syncback, but that only does scheduled syncs.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 1:41 pm

Set up a software raid1 array with two USB drives? You probably can't do this in Windows...

geek_little_egypt, Aug 21, 1:46 pm

Don't think I would like that, It would delete the copy in real time also. Delayed by an hour would be good. There's a free version of Genie Timeline that may be worth checking out.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 21, 1:49 pm

I repeat:

RE: but it only recognizes the drive, won't do anything else
That's a good sign, I reckon getdataback will crack it.

geek_pcfix4u, Aug 21, 4:13 pm

I forgot to mention, I did try that. It comes up the same error. I'm not gonna chuck the drive away just incase, but I'm pretty sure it's poked.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 21, 4:24 pm

Shame you are so far away, I would have had a crack for free for you seeing as you are a music man.

geek_pcfix4u, Aug 21, 6:53 pm

I bet it can be saved due to " but it only recognizes the drive"

If Hiren wont testdisk will.

geek_pcfix4u, Aug 21, 6:55 pm

I'll keep trying. . I have accepted that any loss is permanent, so if i get it back it's just a bonus haha.

geek_puddleduck00, Aug 22, 11:16 am