Bit torrent

so i am 30 something percent downloading a file on bit torrent and my speed drops out, there are no seeds

i did not know how bit torrent worked, so turned off all my uploads, my ratio/sharerating for this file is something like 0. 031 %. And i have heard that the trackers ban you if you have a bad rating.

i looked at the share rating of other files i have downlaoded and it is a different figure, so i guess the share rating is per file and not over all.

So do i have zero speed and no seeds because there are no seeds or because of my share rating?

geek_shimmy93, Aug 23, 9:20 pm

just use limewire

geek_0800xford, Aug 23, 9:23 pm

http://tinyurl.com/nl3yt

geek_swivel, Aug 23, 9:29 pm

What ISP, what tracker?

Slingshot do stupid shit to tracker updates which make things go real bad sometimes. If you stop torrenting and leave it a while it will stop doing stupid shit and you can get another trackerupdate in.

Whats the trackers own interface reporting as the seed and leecher count?

geek_richms, Aug 23, 9:33 pm

i know very little about torrents, i just know there are things called trackers and they ban you if you are free loading. So cant answer the interface question. .
im with xtra, i have frostwire. . but can i keep the 30% of the file i already have?

geek_shimmy93, Aug 23, 9:45 pm

If there is never a seed online with 100% of the file, then you're wasting your time - you, and all the other peers, will never be able to get to 100%.

geek_gyrogearloose, Aug 23, 9:45 pm

the cake is a lie!

geek_0800xford, Aug 23, 9:48 pm

but do i see no seeds because lots of trackers have already banned me for free loading or do i see no seeds because there simply are none at all?

geek_shimmy93, Aug 23, 9:53 pm

Would have to agree with Gyrogearloose, and if you were smart you would be using atleast somesort of peerblock while dll'n of Bit Torrent. :)

geek_encoure_trade, Aug 23, 9:53 pm

If you're worried about your ratio, there are some options such as uTraitor.

geek_cybertao, Aug 23, 9:58 pm

do people not steal from shops any more? i thought that's what all the hoodies were for.

geek_0800xford, Aug 23, 9:59 pm

uTorrent is not bad. Just annoying GUI

geek_mone, Aug 23, 10:10 pm

can that only be used with utorrent?

i dont have a problem changin to another client, its just i dont want to start the download from zero again. Is there a way to continue downloading the file i have already downloaded 33 % off in bit torrent?

geek_shimmy93, Aug 23, 10:18 pm

Yes just go into uTorrent and open/browse the folder. As long as you have the tracker, youre sweet

geek_mone, Aug 23, 10:25 pm

Just make sure you set uTorrent as your default torrent downloader, then open the file from within uTorrent, then download.

geek_mone, Aug 23, 10:30 pm

well im running u torrent now, but i think there are simply just no seeders, bummer

geek_shimmy93, Aug 23, 11:31 pm

whats the file

geek_swivel, Aug 24, 9:59 am

From what I understood you could still get the entire file if there are no seeders as even though people don't have the complete file they have collectively the parts to make it complete.

geek_jcmp21, Aug 24, 10:09 am

but they would have to be seeding to get the parts

geek_swivel, Aug 24, 10:11 am

yeah they come and go the seeders. You might see zero one day and then the next there are half a dozen. I've got heaps of uncompleted torrents, some been going for months. I just leave them, and usually, eventually someone will come and seed it to completion.

What's the file bud. I might be able to find you some more trackers. Only private sites require ratios. I just stick with the public ones Kick Ass, etc.

geek_paddaricko, Aug 24, 1:55 pm

If you got heaps of incomplete torrents for months inactive, you simply have to wait and hope that people re-seed one day lol good luck.

geek_mone, Aug 24, 2:54 pm

it does happen.

geek_paddaricko, Aug 24, 3:54 pm

I'm glad at least we can now mention the word torrent without the hall monitor screaming out "voted"

geek_jcmp21, Aug 24, 4:34 pm

I hear they're hot on the case of someone who mentioned getting "AnyDVD" for free? We're lucky we have them to protect us from ourselves.

Actually I haven't seen a "voted" for a while. I think they have a new word for it?

geek_paddaricko, Aug 24, 5:11 pm

voted

jk lol

geek_hayster94, Aug 24, 7:39 pm

haha rofl

geek_matthew1324, Aug 25, 10:33 am

voted, no joke, yellow el...

geek_0800xford, Aug 25, 10:34 am

It has got better I must admit. It was just odd to me that people would see a word and would automatically vote it.

geek_jcmp21, Aug 25, 10:36 am

yeah man, automatons.

Probably talk like Daleks as well... if you remember that far back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek
"a race of mutants". How apt is that. hahaha!

geek_paddaricko, Aug 25, 11:20 am

have a look at the "its gone" thread at the last ten or so posts.

geek_jcmp21, Aug 25, 11:24 am

im starting to hate torrents, i started another torrent of the same thing downloaded for 1 day, 4 hours (dial up) its at 74% but all my seeders have disapeared again. I had up to 6 at one stage.

I know above you say they can come and go, but i have left the first file i tried downloading in u torrent aswell and have not seen any seeders on that since

geek_shimmy93, Aug 25, 4:03 pm

bump

geek_0800xford, Aug 25, 6:50 pm

The trick is to google "software/move/iso/image name" trackers.

it'll hit on every site with a tracker.

the trackers is what determines how many seeds you particular taste of torrent downloader can find.

for example Bitlord has a search function just for the trackers once you start the download.

geek_nizmonut, Aug 25, 8:48 pm

PMSL man thats a crack up. Downloading on "dial up" theres your problem!!. Even getting one mp3 on dial up is painful enough even on itunes if your into that. Crack up hahaa.

geek_johnf_456, Aug 25, 9:17 pm

Only if you using some dumb tracker, real trackers have stuff seeded all the time.

geek_johnf_456, Aug 25, 9:19 pm

what the .........!!!!!!!
so after 1 day and 16 hours of downlaoding i get this rar file thing. I have winrar. But I extract it and can see a 800 something mb avi file , but when i click on it it starts extracting that too and ask me for a password..it says go to www.zthis.com so i go there and you have to sign up some BS love calculator or iq test to your cellphone to get the password WTF!

geek_shimmy93, Aug 26, 12:56 pm

Run a brute force password cracker. Should only take about 200 hours.

geek_r.g.nixon, Aug 26, 1:05 pm

Fake torrent lol

geek_hayster94, Aug 26, 1:17 pm

Ahhh... dialup / torrents...That takes me back a few years.

Remember when it took a week or so to download an album, and a month for a 700mb game?No one could get through on the phone, and download speeds of around 5kB/s were the norm.

geek_peg228, Aug 26, 5:34 pm

I can download around 1Gb in four to five days on dial-up which is fine.

Yes, I use both ADSL FS/FS and dialup - try to keep my monthly cost down below $100 - thats 51Gb (I pay for the phone separately).The plan includes 1Gb and then its $10 per 10Gb - only problem is that if I go 1Kb over the 11Gb I have to pay for the next 10Gb whether I use it or not.

geek_sighkick, Aug 26, 6:59 pm

back to the original question :p

you need to open some ports on the router for incoming, outgoing tcp/udp transfers to occur properly on p2p networks, then configure your client to use those ports.
look up your torrent softwares manual or wiki and the manual for your modem / router.

geek_kmonk, Aug 26, 10:28 pm

also see = best antivirus if you're getting software from untrustworthy sources, especially if you're running windoze.

geek_kmonk, Aug 26, 10:29 pm

You've been scammed out of some bandwidth.

geek_kcf, Aug 27, 3:01 pm

Ah, codec malware, thought that had died out long ago.

geek_richms, Aug 30, 12:29 am