Thank god for torrents

its handy to be able to download iso copies of things you own when your cd drive goes mental and wont read original cds anymore

and the morons who run the country want to stop us downloading things.

geek_pcmaster, Aug 25, 12:54 am

dunno bout torrents but along the lines of what you said all my operating system copies are iso's (and a lot of other stuff) and I just open em using a virtual drive anyway (zero wear'n'tear eh)

geek_drcspy, Aug 25, 7:44 am

If you want a backup you should buy another copy... -- MPAA

Yeah, right!

"There has grown up in the minds of certain groups in this country the notion that because a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of years, the government and the courts are charged with the duty of guaranteeing such profit in the future, even in the face of changing circumstances and contrary public interest.This strange doctrine is not supported by statute or common law.Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back, for their private benefit."-- Robert Heinlein, Life-line (1939)

geek_little_egypt, Aug 25, 7:47 am

All my OS are iso from Torrents, Great for fixing PC's, and when the disk is scratched, just burn another. Also saves your originals

geek_swivel, Aug 25, 8:28 am

They make millions in selling you games in discs that are fragile and easily scratched.Imagine if you bought milk in containers that easily break, and when you try and get free milk they charge you for piracy.The big companies need to make backup games available for downloads or in ISO copy, as long as you have a serial number or original disc.But no, there is NO possible way of getting the game that you paid for again, if your cd is scratched (by their console even)

geek_mone, Aug 25, 9:44 am

For my Games.I install them and then go looking for the No-CD. This saves my disks

geek_swivel, Aug 25, 9:48 am

Just buy a new CD Drive then

geek_johnlyn, Aug 25, 9:50 am

Optical media is not particularly fragile though.I have a pile of pre-Steam games sitting on my desk and all of them still work despite having minor scratches.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 25, 11:49 am

geek_badcam, Aug 25, 12:22 pm

got the cash to donate?
didn't think so.

I'm always running short of cd drives, plus all my spare gear happens to be about 2 hours drive away.

geek_pcmaster, Aug 25, 3:10 pm