Best remote access (web)

It's about time I got off my chuff and set up some way of helping my ma out with her Win7 PC.

Within my own network I use RDP but is this practical to an external host? Via ssh I guess? VNC is sloow.

Was looking at Logmein as well.....but put off a little by the fact it says even the client must be Windows/Mac, even though it's browser based. Sounds odd, but I guess they know.

So, I want to access a remote PC running Win7, preferably from linux but could also be from Win7 at a pinch. Has to be secure, with a minimum of faffing about for the host.Oh and free :)

Ayone any ideas or, better yet, experience?

geek_smac, Sep 16, 1:48 pm

I'd just use RDP (provided your host version of Windows supports it).Should be fairly secure.

geek_vtecintegra, Sep 16, 1:53 pm

Ya I hacked my own Win7 (home) PC to allow it to host.....could do that....

geek_smac, Sep 16, 2:00 pm

teamviewer

geek_jancemord, Sep 16, 2:53 pm

logmein.com

geek_cambocambo, Sep 16, 4:02 pm

logmein does work under linux but just a little clunky without the plugin thats available from the logmein labs.

geek_cambocambo, Sep 16, 4:03 pm

geek_cambocambo, Sep 16, 4:05 pm

Agree, teamviewer is worth a shot and its free.

geek_pcfix4u, Sep 16, 4:22 pm

If you use RDP just change the port number in the registry from 3889 or map a different number through the router. Using a VM with win7 or vista to connect would be more secure as well, unless you have a static IP then you can only allow the one IP and would be bulletproof.

geek_jcmp21, Sep 16, 4:23 pm

+1
I've used teamviewer with my ma (mid 70s) and it's pretty simple.

geek_radiowaves, Sep 16, 4:24 pm

teamviewer user here as well

geek_trevix2k, Sep 16, 5:41 pm

OK, the masses have spoken....thanks

Anyone know what protocol this is using?

Also, I see there are versions for both windows and linux, but does anyone know for sure if a linux client can talk to a windows host?

geek_smac, Sep 16, 6:04 pm

Logmein can, I'm using it right now.

geek_jcmp21, Sep 16, 6:06 pm

I use RealVNC & frequently fix my bro's PC but never had lag problems. It is a little bit slow but that's to be expected. PS, the remote PC is in Christchurch & I'm in Auckland.

geek_lostdude, Sep 16, 6:14 pm

Do you tunnel it over ssh or anything?

geek_jcmp21, Sep 16, 6:17 pm

Nope, can't be bothered lol.

geek_lostdude, Sep 16, 6:27 pm

wow bugger that lol

geek_jcmp21, Sep 16, 6:29 pm

Agree used teamviewer a lot it's good, also tried mikogo it's fine to but you need to register (I think)

geek_quick-trade, Sep 16, 10:52 pm

I use tightvnc
the older version works on linux and windows

geek_ferita, Sep 17, 6:57 am

Zolved ................

geek_cursedone, Sep 17, 9:16 am

Teamviewer is good but requires someone on the other end.

VNC is good.

geek_makgeeknz, Sep 17, 9:25 am

Teamviewer is good.

geek_michael.benn, Sep 17, 10:48 am

No problem with needing someone at the other end - I'm looking to use this as remote support, and won't be fiddling when they're not there. Ma having to be there to acknowledge an incoming connection is probably a good thing - she won't be worried about me connecting, but she WILL be worried about someone else connecting without her knowledge. This way I can tell her that if she gets a request, and she doesn't have me on the phone, don't accept it.
(I realise VNC can be set up to require acceptance as well)

geek_smac, Sep 17, 11:13 am

If that's all you want to do then Remote assistance is built into Windows and pretty straightforward.

geek_vtecintegra, Sep 17, 11:15 am