Woud an ADSL filter

Help in increasing my download speed?

I've done a speedtest and it's .26 (upload is .14).

I understand I'm in an ADSL1 area and no chance of ADSL2 apparently.

One of my workmates suggested the filter (he said about $17).

I'm not computer savvy so hopefully any answers won't be too technical.

I'm with Telstra.

geek_matuq, Sep 18, 10:00 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

You should already have one. It simply filters out all the other signals, so when you use your phone/fax/etc, it doesn't kill you internet.

geek_rgtrading, Sep 18, 10:04 am

a splitter can increase bb speed when you run a dedicated line from splitter to modem and hook existing phone sockets to old wiring..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Networking-modems/ADSL-modems/auction-317075945.htm

geek_intrade, Sep 18, 10:41 am

And of course you're right!... I'm even MORE computer illiterate than I originally thought!!Oh well...saved myself $17

geek_matuq, Sep 18, 10:42 am

telstra cable or dsl
cable is no adsl filtering dont apply

geek_intrade, Sep 18, 10:42 am

I agree, and often this is because the old wiring is not satisfactory, and has been extended from the wall socket to the adsl modem with phone extension leads. Installing new cable to a new outlet next to the adsl modem will improve the speed, not simply because of the splitter.

My tip: install the splitter at the point where the Telco copper comes through the wall of the house, and install a jackpoint at that spot. Then you can test your adsl modem speed and stability without any of the internal wiring connected. Then you can compare that speed and stability with what you get at the end of the internal wiring and extension leads further back in the house.

geek_gyrogearloose, Sep 18, 10:49 am

no

I'll bet you've paid for a 256kb connection ?

in that case you're already getting what you paid for...........

geek_drcspy, Sep 18, 3:22 pm

That would be like paying someone to shoot you in the foot.

geek_peter148, Sep 18, 5:52 pm

plenty of people have signed up to those types of connection deals without really comprehending what they're gettin - all they see is 'broadband' they dont understand the numbers or even try to.....

geek_drcspy, Sep 18, 5:56 pm

Perhaps you could come up with a helpful suggestion then?

geek_matuq, Sep 19, 6:40 am

Bit tricky to be clearly helpfull without some plan details.. ....

geek_mrfxit, Sep 19, 10:46 am