Can I downgrade from a 64 bit to 32 bit?

in windows 7? Thanks

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 5:21 pm

If you buy the new version, yes.

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 1, 5:31 pm

o ok excuse my ignorance is the newest version 32 bit?

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 5:35 pm

64 bit is the latest out there, 32 bit is old school and is slowly heading into obscurity though it will take a few more years before it vanishes completely.

Some versions of Windows 7 when it first came out gave you both 32 and 64 versions so you could easily swap.But there is no real need to drop to 32 bit unless your hardware cannot handle 64 bit which given the min specs for win 7 it should be able to.

geek_odin5, Oct 1, 5:50 pm

Thanks, bugger so many of my daughters software programs run on 32 bit and are not compatible!

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 5:51 pm

Why would you want to downgrade? Would cost several hundred dollars and several hours (or more) of work.

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 1, 5:51 pm

Have you tried compatibility mode? If it still doesn't work, pick up an old dunger computer for $200

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 1, 5:52 pm

You have too much time on your hands I am unable to run the virtual thing they suggested cause I do not have enough RAM! I tried!

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 5:57 pm

good idea think i will pick up a cheap PC for daughter, thanks

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 5:58 pm

well you only need say 1.5gb of ram and ram is CHEAP...... and what version of windows DO you have ?

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 6:05 pm

Its a laptop.... was not aware RAM is cheap for a laptop (have been told otherwise) I have windows 7 home premium

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 6:07 pm

so right clik my computer then clik properties and report how much ram you got also any version of win7 will run ms virtual pc...........however you'd need to have an xp liscense code to install it..........these can be acquired very cheaply I have several for example just floating around (legal ones)

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 6:09 pm

if your laptop is modem which it will be then it'llmost likely take ddr2 sodimm ram's and they're about $45 for 1gb

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 6:11 pm

I have 2Gb of RAM and 1.74 usable.... when i tried to download from the previous link i was given it said i needed a min of 2Gb RAM so did not continue.

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 6:12 pm

hahah

I run ms virtual pc on my laptop and desktopthe lappy has 1.5gb ram and the desktop 2gb.....you ASSIGN whatever amount of ram you want to the virtual pc............ I usually go about 800mb for xp it runs ok .......

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 6:14 pm

just run the download and install and see what happens........

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 6:14 pm

ok thank you very much for your help really appreciated!

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 6:15 pm

From what I can tell Windows XP mode will run using Virtual PC but you do not need a windows xp license code to install.Just watched the video here and there is no mention of actually installing windows XP just the XP Mode componants.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/default.aspx

geek_odin5, Oct 1, 6:33 pm

yeh but xp liscenses are cheap now

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 7:07 pm

When did MS say they would stop supporting XP, is it 2012 or 14 ??I'm fairly sure it is soon.

Out of curiosity what does it cost for an AX license now? I have a couple of comps here but no OS to install on them.

geek_odin5, Oct 1, 7:10 pm

AX ?

AS for MS support of xp who cares it wont suddenly stop working

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 7:11 pm

xp home maybe $50 ?

geek_drcspy, Oct 1, 7:12 pm

thanks for looking, thats what i had tried when i had seen the I had the wrong version of windows... (i didnt explain it well cause i'm not sure what any of it really is lol)

geek_shore-trader, Oct 1, 7:13 pm

lol sorry meant XP sometimes my fingers type things completely different to what I run through my head.

I only ask because once the support stops the price will drop even further :)

geek_odin5, Oct 1, 7:16 pm

MS support of XP stopped about July this year I understand.

geek_rsr72, Oct 1, 11:46 pm

the answer is yes if you have the right versoin of Windows 7, home premium and above should have both 32 bit and 64 installers on the dvd (from ms site for home premium 'This product includes both 32- and 64-bit versions') you do need to do a curstom install, you can choose for all your 'old' files to be copied to a directly call windows.old. im not sure when you actually choose if you want 32 or 64 bit though, I don't recall seeing that option.

geek_ruderger, Oct 2, 7:54 am

Win7 64bit is backwards compatible. It handles 32bit stuff just fine. It won't run 16bit however.
What programs speciifcally?

geek_lythande1, Oct 2, 8:13 am

Spelling Beez essential words, it will not run in compatibility mode, she has a several others as well

geek_shore-trader, Oct 2, 9:34 am

look if you cant install the microsoft xp virtual mode for win7 then just download 'microsoft virtual pc' it's a smallish download........you can easily get a version of xp home ed on trademe (as I said I have a few liscenses) for a few dollars...........it's not a major job to install and setup and very easy to run afterwards.........you can run it 'full screen' also so it looks/feels/acts just like the 'real thing'.

geek_drcspy, Oct 2, 9:42 am

I am I was just answering the above question

geek_shore-trader, Oct 2, 9:44 am

I've been testing kiaoradvd using an XP virutual machine on my laptop with only 1GB ram... it works just fine as long as I don't try to do too much at the same time, pretty sure it would handle old 32-bit games just peachy!

geek_little_egypt, Oct 2, 10:19 am

VM's are damn handy

geek_drcspy, Oct 2, 10:26 am

Right, but support continues for XP with sp3, & you can still download & install sp3 from ms website. So??

geek_richard112, Oct 2, 12:14 pm

I'm on the shore. If you need hand setting up virtual pc or virtual box or just xp compatability mode. Happy to help - no charge as long as its only this.

geek_northshorepx, Oct 2, 2:43 pm

Why 64 bit is far more superior to 32bit. What are you having issue with that 64bit cannot do.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 2, 2:54 pm

Its 2014 thats ages away.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

It got extended and has drcspy said. Licenses are cheap, I have several floating area to.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 2, 3:00 pm

geek_johnf_456, Oct 2, 3:01 pm

Missed the extension announcement. That's why the ?? - Thanks.

geek_richard112, Oct 2, 3:12 pm

Why recommend MS Virtual PC and XP?
Why not recommend other virtualisation software like Oracle VirtualBox which is lighter weight than Virtual PC and has less limitations? Then the OP can run any OS from MS or Linux, whatever?

Hardly a smart move to put a teen onto an insecure OS like XP especially after the TradeMe ad exploit recently proved for the upteenth time how out of date XP is now.

geek_carkitter, Oct 3, 11:52 am

Lol i run xp and i was on the site at the time i didnt get it. Since i use both seven or xp depenfing what pc.

Xp aint that bad, but a pebkac behind the keyboard is.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 3, 11:59 am

Idiots running a dodgy setup greatly increases your chances of been attackd imho. All about kiss. Keep it simple stupid see the trade announcements page. About keeping everything up to date regardlesd of what os for non it savy people.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 3, 12:06 pm

Protecting XP is hard work - ask Google how secure XP is. They're accelerating development of Chrome OS to get rid of XP asap. Even Microsoft doesn't support it any more. XP has had it's day, perhaps if we weren't in a recession then more companies would have upgraded by now.

geek_carkitter, Oct 3, 1:05 pm

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/08/06/26/windows-xp-support-extended-until-2014
The company has decided to offer technical support for Windows XP with updates and security patches for an extended period until April 2014.

Yes they do support it, hence the word updates and security patches to April 2014. Perhaps get your facts right before spouting your mouth. But yes xp is aging and no shit newer OS will be better.Why would you have newer OS's if they were worse. lol.

But what I'm saying is most peoples computer issues are caused by the "user" not the software. Go ask any tech, they will tell you the same. Outdated software been the number one thing, updates are no good if morons don't patch the OS to stop it been attacked. Some do not even know what a anti virus program is and even how to make sure there pc is up to date. Start with the basics.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 3, 1:18 pm

HARDLY an issue when running a virtual is it ?absolutely meaningless actually

geek_drcspy, Oct 3, 1:33 pm

Not compeletly. Virtual machines can still access the internet, so they are vulnerable. It's no biggy though, as most users will know to save one or two 'snapshots' that they can roll back to if they screw the system up.

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 3, 1:42 pm