Orcon hosting so slow!

anyone else host a website with orcon and notice its very slow to load any pages?Ive since setup a webserver running "ubuntu server" with apache/php5/mysql and hosting my websites all on the one server now, had my upload increaed to full speed and the websites load within a couple of seconds externally from another broadband connection, not 7 to 8 secs like before when using orcon hosting, and what makes it even better using my own server is i get full control over it, "register globals turned off etc..." running joomla with no issues at all, where as before i was contacting orcon just about every second with issues i was having trying to get joomla to work, firtstly their server was using php4 and not 5, secondly they had too many restrictions in effect preventing joomla from functioning properly. all i can say, if your with orcon and want a website hosted, then build your own server and host it on that, by default all orcon broadband customers get a free static ip, it worked out cheaper too for me, used an old amd box with 256mb ddr400, raided hdd's, got it running in the garage 24/7 and never had any issues with it, very stable, been running for months without restart, windows normally cant do that without slowing down and having problems!

geek_chessman, Oct 24, 6:42 pm

you should just buy your own vps server or equivalent... orcon is free, what you expect ;)

if youre looking for a cheap vps i recommend www.webslice.co.nz

my brother setup with them just over a month ago and its working smoothly. id imagine its much faster than hosting your own server at home as they have faster connectivity. guess it would depend on the amount of traffic you'd get though.

geek_cplanet, Oct 24, 11:41 pm

you should just buy your own vps server or equivalent... orcon is free, what you expect ;)

if youre looking for a cheap vps i recommend www.webslice.co.nz

my brother setup with them just over a month ago and its working smoothly. id imagine its much faster than hosting your own server at home as they have faster connectivity. guess it would depend on the amount of traffic you'd get though.

geek_cplanet, Oct 24, 11:41 pm