ADSL2+ Telco Maps?

http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps
Anyone 'in the know' about this map system. Fair enough to assume that the exchange is in the middle of the map?

geek_acura, Oct 27, 8:31 pm

nope its not in the middle of the map!

geek_cplanet, Oct 27, 8:49 pm

That map shows cabinets, not exchanges.

geek_gyrogearloose, Oct 27, 8:59 pm

in terms of broadband speeds... am i looking at distance from the cabinet then?

geek_acura, Oct 27, 9:11 pm

depends if you have a cabinet or not. it will say whether its done now or when youre scheduled to be cabinetised.

geek_cplanet, Oct 27, 9:14 pm

thats silly, im 2kms away from the exchange, house is only 12 years old and i cant get the adsl2+ speeds, not paying my $84 to get a tech out to see why tho or should i.....

geek_make_a_bid, Oct 27, 9:18 pm

At the moment you are looking at the distance that the copper takes from your house, to the cabinet which is currently a non-active patch frame, to the exchange. And that's up and down the road, not as the crow flies. Once the cabinet project is completed, my understanding is that there will be active equipment in the cabinet, with fibre backhaul to the exchange. Other ISP's, Vodafone Red network for example, already have ADSL2+ equipment at some of the exchanges Where Telecom permits. But Telecom is hoping to steal a march by extending their active equipment closer to the users, cabinetisation, and obviously there isn't going to be any room in the cabinet for anyone else's active equipment.

geek_gyrogearloose, Oct 27, 9:21 pm

Looking at moving houses and checking out the essentials - ie broadband speeds. hehehe

geek_acura, Oct 27, 9:22 pm

We live in the Fendalton(FDN) exchange area.
The map only shows four cabinets in the bottom left corner.
Does that mean that they are the only cabinets in the Fendalton exchange, or are they the only cabinets that Telecom has decided to update?

geek_sparkyz, Oct 28, 7:54 pm

The website makes it hard to comprehend. If you click 'exchange' and type in FDN, you see the 4 you mention? If you click 'address' and type in fendalton, you get 3 different ones. Some of the suburb will be served directly from the exchange, not via cabinets.

geek_gyrogearloose, Oct 28, 8:07 pm

Thanks gyro,
I might go for a walk at the weekend to see if I can follow where my phone line goes.

geek_sparkyz, Oct 28, 8:32 pm

http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps
Anyone 'in the know' about this map system. Fair enough to assume that the exchange is in the middle of the map?

geek_acura, Oct 27, 8:31 pm