Wireless adapter slow... Page 1 / 2

becky21, Nov 4, 1:00am
I have a NetComm NP545 wireless adapter on my desktop.Also have a laptop using wireless and it does speeds of 3-4 mb/s on speedtest.net.My comp never does over 1.5 mb/s on the same test.Is this an issue with my computer or is the adapter just crap ?

drcspy, Nov 4, 1:35am
maybe it's only working at 802.11b speed ? (11Mbs)....
cause 11Mbs is 11 megaBITS per sec

divide that by BYTES (8 bits to abyte) then you get about 1.5MB/s which is the speed you seem to be getting online

becky21, Nov 4, 1:47am
Na it's working at B/G mix but it gets same internet speeds when i change it to B only...thanks anyway

smac, Nov 4, 1:52am
You mean the PC is working on B/G or the access point is? If all your devices can handle G then disable the mixed mode.

drcspy, Nov 4, 1:54am
dont you mean 'when I change it to G only' ???

cause B WILL result in that slow speed

drcspy, Nov 4, 1:54am
whats the reported LAN speed ?

becky21, Nov 4, 1:56am
Can't change it to G only.Only B or B/G mix...

becky21, Nov 4, 1:59am
What is it and how do i know ?

0800xford, Nov 4, 2:02am
emailing tm for that, no need for personal attacks.

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:02am
the LAN speed is the LOCAL AREA NETWORK speed

are you running vista or xp

becky21, Nov 4, 2:03am
running xp pro, 54.0Mbps...does that sound right ??

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:04am
hm..........well thats 802.11G

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:06am
what router ?

and when you change 'it' from g/b etc what is it you're changing your netcom or the router ?

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:07am
you could try plugging the comp into the router thru a cable and see what speed you get then.....

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:08am
yeh that comment is NOT cool !

voted

becky21, Nov 4, 2:14am
It's a brand new Thomson Modem/Router from telecom.Did the same speeds on a D-Link DIR-300 though.

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:16am
so try plugging the pc into a lan port on the thompson then run the internet speed test see if it improves.......this'll eliminate the possibility that it's a computer problem............

ah ha ! a thought......

are you running usb2.0 on that computer cause if not that'll be the bottleneck (usb1.0 runs at 11Mbs same as 802.11b)

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:16am
how was it connected to the d-link ?

becky21, Nov 4, 2:19am
drcspy wrote:
so try plugging the pc into a lan port on the thompson then run the internet speed test see if it improves.......this'll eliminate the possibility that it's a computer problem............

ah ha ! a thought......

That would completely make sense !!! How do you tell if its usb 1.0 or 2.0 ??

becky21, Nov 4, 2:21am
That would completely make sense !!! How do you tell if its usb 1.0 or 2.0 ??

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:21am
check device manager for usb 'enhanced usb controller' that'll be usb2.0

becky21, Nov 4, 2:24am
Used to have a d-link modem hooked up to the DIR-300 but for some reason telecom gave us a new one.We dont use those two at all anymore

drcspy, Nov 4, 2:25am
........you SAID you got the same speed on the d-link

HOW was the computer hooked to the d-link was it wireless or what ?

becky21, Nov 4, 2:32am
Yes.. it was wireless.Just checked out the device screen and im pretty sure its 2.0

smac, Nov 4, 2:37am
This is faarny.....the USB thing is a complete red herring if it's not being used. Becky it might pay to describe what devices you have in your network (ALL of them), and how each of them is connected.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)