Wireless adapter slow...

I have a NetComm NP545 wireless adapter on my desktop.Also have a laptop using wireless and it does speeds of 3-4 mb/s on speedtest.net.My comp never does over 1.5 mb/s on the same test.Is this an issue with my computer or is the adapter just crap ?

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 2:00 pm

maybe it's only working at 802.11b speed ? (11Mbs)....
cause 11Mbs is 11 megaBITS per sec

divide that by BYTES (8 bits to abyte) then you get about 1.5MB/s which is the speed you seem to be getting online

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 2:35 pm

Na it's working at B/G mix but it gets same internet speeds when i change it to B only...thanks anyway

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 2:47 pm

You mean the PC is working on B/G or the access point is? If all your devices can handle G then disable the mixed mode.

geek_smac, Nov 4, 2:52 pm

dont you mean 'when I change it to G only' ???

cause B WILL result in that slow speed

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 2:54 pm

whats the reported LAN speed ?

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 2:54 pm

Can't change it to G only.Only B or B/G mix...

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 2:56 pm

What is it and how do i know ?

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 2:59 pm

emailing tm for that, no need for personal attacks.

geek_0800xford, Nov 4, 3:02 pm

the LAN speed is the LOCAL AREA NETWORK speed

are you running vista or xp

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:02 pm

running xp pro, 54.0Mbps...does that sound right ??

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:03 pm

hm..........well thats 802.11G

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:04 pm

what router ?

and when you change 'it' from g/b etc what is it you're changing your netcom or the router ?

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:06 pm

you could try plugging the comp into the router thru a cable and see what speed you get then.....

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:07 pm

yeh that comment is NOT cool !

voted

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:08 pm

It's a brand new Thomson Modem/Router from telecom.Did the same speeds on a D-Link DIR-300 though.

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:14 pm

so try plugging the pc into a lan port on the thompson then run the internet speed test see if it improves.......this'll eliminate the possibility that it's a computer problem............

ah ha ! a thought......

are you running usb2.0 on that computer cause if not that'll be the bottleneck (usb1.0 runs at 11Mbs same as 802.11b)

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:16 pm

how was it connected to the d-link ?

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:16 pm

drcspy wrote:
so try plugging the pc into a lan port on the thompson then run the internet speed test see if it improves.......this'll eliminate the possibility that it's a computer problem............

ah ha ! a thought......

That would completely make sense !!! How do you tell if its usb 1.0 or 2.0 ??

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:19 pm

That would completely make sense !!! How do you tell if its usb 1.0 or 2.0 ??

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:21 pm

check device manager for usb 'enhanced usb controller' that'll be usb2.0

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:21 pm

Used to have a d-link modem hooked up to the DIR-300 but for some reason telecom gave us a new one.We dont use those two at all anymore

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:24 pm

........you SAID you got the same speed on the d-link

HOW was the computer hooked to the d-link was it wireless or what ?

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:25 pm

Yes.. it was wireless.Just checked out the device screen and im pretty sure its 2.0

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:32 pm

This is faarny.....the USB thing is a complete red herring if it's not being used. Becky it might pay to describe what devices you have in your network (ALL of them), and how each of them is connected.

geek_smac, Nov 4, 3:37 pm

With a wired connection to the router it just did 3.5 mb/s on speedtest.net

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:42 pm

dimwit the wireless adaptor IS a usb dongle ..........duh

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:46 pm

I realise it's a USB dongle. The reason I asked is because it's not at all clear that this user knows what hardware they are using for what function. It wouldn't be the first time you and others have talked at cross purposes trying to help someone because you didn't have ALL the info. If that's not the case here then no problem. Have a nice day....

geek_smac, Nov 4, 3:51 pm

so what was 'faarny'

like George Thorogood says "every body funny - now YOU funny too"

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:51 pm

it appears fairly obvious that they're using this usb dongle that's why I was asking them to check their usb stuff in device manager also to check speed when directly connected to router thru ethernet

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 3:53 pm

So...back to the whole USB thing.Pretty sure its the problem but how do i tell ?

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:55 pm

What's "faarny' is this has been going for nearly 30 posts and you were still having to ask about what devices were being used because it hadn't been clarified up front. If you've got it under control no problem I'll leave them in your capable hands.....

geek_smac, Nov 4, 3:55 pm

In device manager, Theres a list of USB controllers...what will it say if they're usb 1.1 ?

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 3:58 pm

it should say 'enhanced' that'll mean usb2.0

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 4:01 pm

heres another idea plug the usb wireless dongle into the lappy (you might have to install drivers) and try connectin with that ......see what speed you get if it's the 'slow' speed then you've identified the problem as being the adaptor most likely ......if it's fast then it could be the usb ports on teh comptuer..........you can buy a usb 2.0 pci card for about $25 for the computer if you need.You're running xp are you running it with any service packs ?Sp2 at least ?.......right clik 'my computer' then clik properties for this info

geek_drcspy, Nov 4, 4:06 pm

There is 4 that say 'USB universal host controller'and one that says ÚSB2 enhanced controller'...does this mean i only have one 2.0 port ?

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 4:07 pm

Im running service pack 2,kk il try it on the laptop

geek_becky21, Nov 4, 4:09 pm