Internet access problems (Surely a simple cure)

Don't know what it is but must be missing something real simple. .. .. . .
Internet access drops randomly several times a day which in it's self is annoying but no biggy.
What is frustrating is that when it drops, it also kills internet access to my computer resulting in having to do a computer reboot.
Been using onboard network till recently AND tried a brand new network card.
Run an LSP fix to repair the tcp/ip stacks
Scandisk
Spinrite scan
Installed AV scan & onluine av scans
Uninstall/ reinstall network card files
Ip release & renew
Swapped the 504g adsl Dlink for a Linksys adsl2+ modem
Factory settings & custom settings on the modems
Changed my network cable
Changed the phone cable & ph socket to the modem
= same result

Kicks MY computer off the network & BB BUT the connection statis will still say it's connected

It's only effecting MY computer as the other 4 computers reconnect fine.

Had this going on for a few weeks now & just can't seem to get to the bottom of it

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 9:15 am

Hasn't got a Manual DNS set in it (Malware does that some times).

geek_swivel, Oct 14, 9:18 am

obvious dave I know but network card powersettings off ?Oh and ......you haven't had that pc or any part of it in the tardis haev you ?

geek_drcspy, Oct 14, 9:20 am

also "Run an LSP fix to repair the tcp/ip stacks"..........that include winsock repair ?

geek_drcspy, Oct 14, 9:21 am

turn off x device when inactive/to save power?

geek_0800xford, Oct 14, 9:23 am

Duh, oh yea
Xp pro / sp3 / no gaming done on this comp /dx 2007 (9c) etc

Short of a full format & reinstall, I currently don't know what else to try.
Both BB modems are 4 port units
Only the Linksys has wireless onboard & run an AP when using the D-link
Cables have been swapped around a lot.
Resident linux geek thats done cisco is lost (suspect more a case of can't be bothered)

..............................-

NO such thing as a full on linux nerd/geek with good PR skills or without a "holier then thou" attitude
but hope to be proven wrong. . .. . ..

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 9:24 am

Yep checked on both & disabled

Yea Perry that crap repair as well (winsock /tcp/ip whatever crud repair tool.
Got me lost & thats not often

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 9:26 am

Tried static IP's on all the computers in this network but that only "seemed" to work for a day or 2 but made NO difference to mine.
Dropped all back to dhcp now & no difference.

All network settings are on default auto obtain & dhcp

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 9:29 am

sfc /scannow ?..............repair install (only takes 40min or so) ........how long ago did you install the sp3? cause I had issues recently with an older sp3 servicepack release which because I had it system would NOT install IE8 etc.....

geek_drcspy, Oct 14, 9:32 am

Perry, Tardis is currentlyparked up so not my problem.
(not like anybody else around here would know how to drive it)

Sp3 been on about 1 year ish
Whole install coming up to about that age-ish
Will buzz the sfc /scannow through later today but trying to avoid any of MS's fix's (nasty habit of screwing the systems aye)
Ie7 & FF3.5

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 9:38 am

Nope sfc/scannow did nothing.

Now locking me out with the D-link back in place.

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 1:41 pm

I'd change all the boxes DNS settings (including Router) over so they use the OpenDNS servers,,Might be a problem with something there.

geek_helpless, Oct 14, 2:22 pm

Only ONE computer effected out of 5 connected via the same switchs & router.
Running a mix of win 7 /winXp /Vista/ Ubuntu (3 with xp only)

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 3:23 pm

When the connection drops, what happens when you unplug and then reconnect the network cable?

geek_cybertao, Oct 14, 3:42 pm

dave how is this pc plugged into the router ?if' it's kinda remote what happens if you plug a different pc into that connectin ?

geek_drcspy, Oct 14, 4:15 pm

Craig,... nothing to fix it .. altho the windows port agent notices it being removed & plugged back in.
Perry,....Direct to the router & swapped ports plus cables.
Done the ip release/renew
logoff back on/
Only a shutdown/restart gets me back on.

Got part of the problem just now,
TC (nz) BB helpdesk reported 27 disconnections today (12am to 4pm) & a loading problem on the ph line (the more devices connected the less speed & more noise) BUT that doesn't explain why I get locked out & the other computers are ok.

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 4:24 pm

If the problem is solved by resetting the computer, but isn't by resetting the router, then it must be something to do with your computer.Try running a linux livecd in it for a while to see if it's something to do with Windows.
You never know, you might like it enough to finally ditch Windows and make the move.Go on, you know you want to.

geek_cybertao, Oct 14, 4:34 pm

LOL Graig

I KNOW.... it's not the router ITSELF. ... mearly the fact that the BB disconnections are triggering something in the windows networking system to block internet access & yet.... leave the windows port agent (task bar notifacation balloon) thinking it's still connected.
This install is like an old pair of shoes you LOVE,....stinks a bit but feels comfy & gets me where I want to go.

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 4:42 pm

Linux is like a pair of ugg boots. B-)

...join us...become one of us...we are *nix...

geek_cybertao, Oct 14, 4:53 pm

when it "goes down" can you ping an IP? Like TM's one 202.162.72.2
Or can you access or see any other PC on your network?

geek_thunderstorm, Oct 14, 6:47 pm

...one of us...

geek_cybertao, Oct 14, 7:17 pm

Running a 3rd party firewall? Uninstall it to see what happens.

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 14, 9:08 pm

the live cd idea is good it eliminates windoze and will pinpoint whether it's hardware or windoze at fault........

geek_drcspy, Oct 14, 10:15 pm

...one of us!!!

geek_cybertao, Oct 14, 10:17 pm

It's definantly a windows thing, in this case but only because it's what I am running on this computer.

Thunderstorm: Can't ping anything & can't even get access to the router admin

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 10:43 pm

Two of us: !!

geek_mrfxit, Oct 14, 10:44 pm

Go on, prove it by running linux to see if it packs a sad.You know you want to.

geek_cybertao, Oct 14, 11:27 pm

OK. Must be a bug from this post. Mine stopped last night. Even a format didn't do it. Just tested the PSU, and it's not potting out what it should, Changed PSU and all good.Just an Idea.

geek_swivel, Oct 15, 8:21 am

As the testing continues

Gets even odder

When running the D-link, the net drops but will reconnect & allow my comp & the others to carry on

When using the new Linksys, the net drops/ have to reboot the router & everybody else carrys on but MY comp is locked out.

Can do any combinations of disconnect my comp from the Linksys/ logoff/ rebooting the linksys while attached/ unattached, but the ONLY thing that gets me back on is a comp reboot.

D-link 504G (5 years old)
Linksys Wag200G annex-A (approx 4 months old)

Both with latest firmware available

Linksys ran perfect for original owner for the 3 months they had it (he upgraded for free, plick)... it also ran perfect for cybertoa

geek_mrfxit, Oct 15, 8:40 am

Would you like me to deliver a hard-drive with Debian installed on it?You can just plug it into your computer and it's ready to go, linux is great like that.

geek_cybertao, Oct 15, 11:24 am

You should call round a computer technician to fix it - look for someone that has "no fix - no charge".

geek_gyrogearloose, Oct 15, 11:31 am

LMFAOcyber,
With a resident linux geek already living here, why would I need to get a linux n00b in to help with a linux box?????

Gyro
Always a possiblilty . .. .. .. . .. .. .. ... .. .. .after I die .. .!!!

Need more of a networking wizard that fully understands networking systems& the system Xp uses plus how they interact, along with a good understanding of Linksys routers (cisco).

geek_mrfxit, Oct 15, 11:37 am

Because you need a lot of prodding, you stubborn old fart.

You're still clinging to your XP install like it's your flesh and blood, and totally infallible in your disconnections.Despite it being the only thing left after eliminating everything else.
We understand that you are attached to the fond memories of your glory days that XP brings you, but it's time to let it go and move on.
If not for yourself, then for the sake of your family who are sick of you messing with the fully functional network, and your fellow message boarders who all know that the problem is your install.

Be strong.You can do it.There is a lot of support around you, when you are finally ready to make the move.We believe in you, Dave.All you need to do is believe in yourself...and linux.

geek_cybertao, Oct 15, 11:49 am

LOL ...now now
Don't go getting all religous on me at this stage.
Not freaking well at the crying stage YET.
Mmmm I dehappen to LIKE my old pair of socks & a little dip in some fresh water brings them back JUST FINE!!

But really .. ........ .. . .. .
What sort of tech would I be if I simply gave up & installed an alternative o/s WITHOUT finding out what the real problem was 1st.

Shite that would make me like the ppl that promote FF simply as a cureall for an existing & unresolved IE problem.

geek_mrfxit, Oct 15, 11:58 am

rofl............

geek_drcspy, Oct 15, 12:00 pm

M$ Internet Explorer is the problem.

Do you see what those two problems have in common?

geek_cybertao, Oct 15, 12:03 pm

DNS confusion...Had it before with Linux and D-Link Routers never with Windows though..Same indicators. Says connected but no connect. Can't believe you haven't at least tried it..Suffer.

geek_helpless, Oct 15, 12:43 pm

He'd be able to ping other computers on the network (and the internet) if it was only a DNS fault.

I give up, it's a PEBCAC problem and beyond help.

geek_cybertao, Oct 15, 12:50 pm

mmm..You think..As I've said had it before..Couldn't ping a thing..Nothing local not Router not anything.,you guys know best though. Probably the boys Linux box shagging with something network related..

geek_helpless, Oct 15, 12:56 pm

Cyber, (& other linux advocates) Yes it's MY install of Windows Xp thats the problem (never desputed that fact) BUTT the other computers with various versions of Ms windows are FINE (.. ok!! ..)

Narrowed it down a bit further but slightly off the track

TC reset the exchange port a few times in 1 day this week & while the D-link (adsl 1) is being used, theres no disconnections .. .. .. . ..
While using the Linksys (adsl2+) theres disconnections & my computer gets locked out of the network (regardless of setting the linksys to g.dmt or adsl2+)

So it appears the adsl2+ router is triggering the BBfault in 2 ways, disconnections AND locking MY computers network

Taking MY computer out of the story simply appears to mean that theres a specific fault with the adfsl2+ system in our area.
Could well be wrong on so many counts but it's about all I can see going on at the moment.

Helpless,
thankyou for your suggestions but because the network locking only effects my computer & with whats happened over the last couple of days, your suggestion may not be a issue.

geek_mrfxit, Oct 17, 7:48 am

Helpless
[quote= Probably the boys Linux box shagging with something network related..[/quote]

LOL yea but linux nerds are SOOOoooo hard to put back in their box that Ican't risk suggesting that idea to him.

geek_mrfxit, Oct 17, 7:50 am

Did you try another PSU ??

geek_swivel, Oct 17, 8:38 am

You know best mrfxit. I'm kinda surprised that D-Link still works if the Networks switched over to ADSL2..My old old grey longish 4 port one of them refused to connect under ADSL2 forcing me to buy a new 504..The old one went in the bin on E-Day as well as an old 500 that also wouldn't work under 2..Maybe I screwed up throwing them away but I couldn't get them working at all when the change came. I also tried updating the firmware in the 504 in case that was the issue but it already had the latest so a bin job it became.

geek_helpless, Oct 17, 8:55 am

helpless , the DSL-500 does work, But is only adsl (I have the single port, and router models here)

geek_swivel, Oct 17, 9:01 am

Yep..Maybe that 500 I had was already shagged. I brought it for like ten bucks and never really tested it so it may have been a goner from the start..That old 504 I'm not really certain what happened to it..just seemed odd that as soon a s adsl-2 arrived it was a no go anymore. Course I have no evidence the ADSL-2 was the cause..Just suspicion.

geek_helpless, Oct 17, 9:12 am

LOL helpless
Wish I did know best but sadly just trying to explain it all as it appears to happen.
Yea it's been a pretty good unit over the years.

Swivel
The psu in here is only about 8 months old & rated well in excess of what the computer needs.
Suspect your case was more about a total "power down" combined with a temp amperage glitch" problem.
Could be ok with the old psu now?

geek_mrfxit, Oct 17, 9:15 am

LOL yea but linux nerds are SOOOoooo hard to put back in their box that Ican't risk suggesting that idea to him.[/quote]

Possibly the only thing I can think of in that regard is if he was running a DNS server from it confusion may arise..If he isn't then yeah..I have no clue whats happening..As well you know I'm not an expert so my thinking their may well be all wrong also.

geek_helpless, Oct 17, 9:39 am

Still poking away at this problem.
Getting the tech out in the morning to rewire the house to end any speculation of house wiring being the problem.

geek_mrfxit, Nov 4, 8:56 pm

And after that, if the problem persists, you're going to install linux aren't you?
Aren't you?
AREN'T YOU!

geek_cybertao, Nov 4, 9:15 pm

wikkid nekkro

geek_0800xford, Nov 4, 9:33 pm