Thunderbird update 3.1.4 hogging CPU usage.

Since I updated whenever I go to thunderbird it slows my computer down and according to the task Manager is using 25-100% of my cpu. Why is this, and what's the solution? It doesn't appear to be sending data at the time.

geek_chito, Oct 13, 8:22 am

Updated from which version? Some people prefer version 2.something for that or a similar reason.

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 13, 8:43 am

Not sure what I had before, probably 3.1.1, because I update when it tells me there's a newer version.
I just unticked the check for updates. task manager says it's using 67% CPU and the hard drive is spinning. Can I just download an older version to downgrade?

geek_chito, Oct 13, 9:13 am

Turn off Global Indexing in the preferences menu. Somewhere under the advanced tab I recall. I don't have TB on this PC, so I can't tell you exactly where it's located.

geek_badcam, Oct 13, 9:14 am

www.oldversion.com might have it

geek_drcspy, Oct 13, 9:14 am

Also, it may be creating a copy of your IMAP folders on your local drive (stupid implementation). File syncing??? Turn that off too.

geek_badcam, Oct 13, 9:15 am

Turn off, "Global Search Indexer" under --> options --> Advanced. May help.

geek_shinedog, Oct 13, 9:16 am

Or just leave it open for a while to let it finish indexing.

Its only a problem when the initial index is being built, and quick content searches are a very useful feature

geek_vtecintegra, Oct 13, 11:09 am

Thanks all. I will give it a try with global indexing off. Badcam, I can't see an option to copy, or not IMAP folders.

geek_chito, Oct 13, 12:35 pm

http://www.filehippo.com/download_thunderbird/

Can't beat good old file hippo for old version and new versions of common apps. All in one.

geek_johnf_456, Oct 13, 2:45 pm

I think it's settled down now. Must've been the global searching for a couple of days. Fingers crossed. THanks for your help.

geek_chito, Oct 14, 7:36 pm