Mixing wireless adapter brands

Is this generally a bad idea? Our xbox, iPad, phones and neighbors laptop all connect and stay connected but the tp-link adapters in our pcs are forever disconnecting or loosing connectivity at random intervals with or without any load, both pcs have a direct line of sight on both xp and wseven, our modem is a netgear dgn3500

geek_kane199, Oct 18, 9:30 am

"Wireless G" should be fine, "Wireless N" may cause issues as there are a few different types.

geek_stevel_knievel, Oct 18, 10:22 am

tp-link is generally regarded as being a budget brand, get yaself some linksys adaptors and i bet your issue will disappear.

geek_princelee, Oct 18, 10:23 am

Would have to disagree with the statements on brand. Have yet to see any issues with TP, but I've personally had nothing but trouble with Linksys.

geek_smac, Oct 18, 11:02 am

Linksys does sell some poor quality stuff that ive had issues with in the past, but most of its better quality N series products etc ive never had any issues with. TP is crap as i see a lot that has issues in my line of work.

geek_princelee, Oct 18, 2:27 pm

check device manager for the powersettings on those adaptor properties..........

geek_drcspy, Oct 18, 2:34 pm

Thanks drcspy, tried setting it so pc can't turn it off and yet still http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/29/147319029_full.jpg

net on the phone and ipad still worked fine.

Been looking at adapters and can't seem to find anything in my price range of a different brand with the same specs unless i go USB, as the primary adapter i don't want to go USB

geek_kane199, Oct 18, 5:55 pm

Looks like it is connected to me. No internet access would imply an IP address problem to me. Completely different layer.

geek_spyware, Oct 18, 6:46 pm

or dns problem

geek_lostdude, Oct 18, 6:55 pm

I set my IP at the modem so it holds it and doesn't change, disabling it does nothing towards the issue, when it does as pictured i can't browse network or web pages unless i reboot both the PC/s and modem, doing ether separately wont help.

Doesn't matter if I'm streaming to the Xbox, playing WoW, browsing the net or even away from the PC

geek_kane199, Oct 18, 7:17 pm

Run "ipconfig /all" on the interface (obviously during network loss) and post results. How can we guess what is happening.

geek_spyware, Oct 18, 9:49 pm