How Do I Restore My Computer To Original Factory

How Do I Restore My Computer To Original Factory State... It is Vista Home Premium and A HP dv2000 notebook

geek_pawlovers, May 21, 1:22 am

Re... you can restore the bios i know that much.Is that what you want to know ?
I like your nick.I sometimes use huskyfur but not here

geek_peepme, May 21, 1:25 am

Um, Im not sure lol I want everything gone and for windows to be running likw when i bought it =)

geek_pawlovers, May 21, 1:29 am

Ah... sounds like you need to format the hard drive and install windows (xp?)again.Have you got an xp cd with the pc ?

geek_peepme, May 21, 1:30 am

Um, i guess i need to format it... It is vista No CD came with it... Damn haha... It has a problem with some virus and when you start the computer the desktop screen doesnt come up... It opens up My Documents On a blank screen. I will post a pic soon showing

geek_pawlovers, May 21, 1:33 am

A suggestion that you put xp on it,get rid of vista.Maybe that is where the problem is

geek_peepme, May 21, 1:34 am

Na, it is a virus... had it before. But i cant find how to restore it again... this is a screenshot of what comes up when i start it (Actual) http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/40/68057240_full.jpg

geek_pawlovers, May 21, 1:38 am

Hmmm you most likely have a recovery partition....Try pressing F8 when the computer starts up...or look in the program files (start, all programs) Peepme, suggesting removing Vista and installing XP isn't always a good idea, they may find there are no drivers available. What antivirus are you using #1?

geek_soodanim, May 21, 1:40 am

Re... I thought vista had its own anti virus software with it

geek_peepme, May 21, 1:41 am

Obviously (or not) you will lose anything you've put on the computer so make sure before you do it you backup data you want to keep (Favourites, Emails, Photos etc)

geek_soodanim, May 21, 1:41 am

Just installed antivir... i will try the restart thing. dont want to remove vista though, I cannot access start menu as only what i showed u in the screenshot comes up at start.... No start, no tool bar, nothing =(

geek_pawlovers, May 21, 1:41 am

Aahhh no... You still have to install antivirus software.

geek_soodanim, May 21, 1:42 am

Soodanim ah i was hoping one of the experts would come along,leave it to you then

geek_peepme, May 21, 1:42 am

OK... tried safe mode? also F8...and/or read the screen as it's booting.....looking for options to recover. Tho I did think HP/Compaq requested you to create Recovery Discs when first used....

geek_soodanim, May 21, 1:44 am

Accessing the start menu what happens if you press the windows key? (usually bottom left)

geek_soodanim, May 21, 1:54 am

Go buy a small piece of hardware and get a copy of Vista Home Premium OEM for under $200 ;)

geek_mcceltic, May 21, 2:40 am

Lol why would you want to?....They have a license they could contact Microsoft if they wanted and probably get one for $50! Not to mention the manufacturers of the laptop, would probably supply the recovery discs for a price...or FREE like NEC did for me when my copy wouldn't read (and I had deleted the partition..haha silly me)

geek_soodanim, May 21, 2:42 am