Acer Vs. Sony Vaio Laptop

Any negative reviews or experience about Vaio? My only gripe is the LCD screen when you close it, it slams on the surface, other than that, can you point out any issues? Planning to replace my Acer with Vaio... cheers

geek_maxi090605, Nov 13, 10:54 pm

Don't buy it if the screen touches the keys. You'll end up with key imprints on the screen. Look at Asus, Toshiba, Dell.

geek_dunedin_ree, Nov 13, 10:57 pm

The Asus"s that I have worked on have NO support in NZ.Vaios' don't have such a good rep, but are often made from other manufactors parts. So you can hardly, as usual, compare apples with apples.Ie. A fuitsu HD's intel Nvida etc.

geek_rlr29, Nov 13, 11:02 pm

What's your take on Toshiba? I heard they are not reliable that's why they come in cheap?

geek_maxi090605, Nov 13, 11:02 pm

hhmm, I'm about to pickup a new laptop on Monday, but I still haven't decided which brand other than Acer (my one is 4 yrs old and haven't given me any single problem!). Please post what you think is the best, reliable and sturdy laptop out there. Is Sony Vaio just impressive on the looks, but has underlying issues?

geek_maxi090605, Nov 13, 11:06 pm

I don't rate Vaios at all.And Acer are generally considered to be crap.

geek_dunedin_ree, Nov 13, 11:11 pm

we have two toshiba laptops in this house one has had no problems what so ever in the 11 months its been here the other has been a pain in the rrrs guess its like every thing...theres always good n bad

geek_micky_1, Nov 13, 11:14 pm

Watch the specs for included software.The last Vaio I bought needed to be upgraded to run the included software. Will not buy another

geek_loose.unit8, Nov 13, 11:14 pm

Gary, I can't advise you on the best make/model laptop out there. I have worked long enough in the industry to know that if you get, a lemon, its about getting it fixed in a reasonable timeframe. A pessimistic attitude I know, but the reality is, there is a lemon in every bunch! What I do know to be true is that under warranty HP/Compaq and Toshiba generally have good parts supply which advocates a relatively quick turn around when warranty repairs are necessary. Regrettably the same can't be said in my experience for Acer. Sony I can't comment on because I have only fixed these under extended warranty, but my personal experience of Sony has been very good. I hope this helps.
A PS to this post would have to be that turn around time for repairs does vary dependent on the repair centre concerned.

geek_zaowl, Nov 14, 12:00 am

In my experience Acer hardware is pretty solid these days, but support is still lacking.

Anyway, for a full sized laptop (i..e not a netbook) I'd be going for either the cheapest Macbook (the plastic one) with a bigger disk, or Dell XPS 16 at the higher end (the 15" Macbook pro is a waste of time IMO, because of its low res screen)

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 14, 12:16 am

Toshiba or Asus are great,they are the only brands I would buy or get anyone I know to buy...I am NORMALLY anti laptops.For me to say Toshiba or Asus means they have to fairly good.

Avoid NEC & Acer,both are known for problems.

geek_mr_lovebug, Nov 14, 12:24 am

What do you mean you are 'anti laptops'?

Thats like saying I'm anti-hatchback and everyone should buy a Landcruiser instead - utter nonsense that fails to take into account others requirements

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 14, 12:26 am

It means that Personally I don't like laptops...I always get people to buy desktops 95% of the time...

Saying that I have found that Toshibia & Asus are the only two brands that don't have as many negative posts/problems...
We had a laptop & that gave nothing but problems,all the people that I know have laptops also have more problems than anyone I know with a desktop.

The only people that don't have problems with their laptops are the people that don't use the laptop all that often.EG use it like a laptop was made to used etc...

geek_mr_lovebug, Nov 14, 12:56 am

'often made from other manufacturers parts' ???

MOST laptops are......

Asus at least make their own motherboards and video cards....MOST manufacturers are really assemblers

geek_drcspy, Nov 14, 5:02 am

That is 100% untrue.

I've taken my current netbook traveling and have had zero issues.The full sized laptop I used before that went to uni with me every day and only died from a spill into the keyboard.

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 14, 10:55 am

my acer laptop runs fine.

geek_movies2go, Nov 14, 10:57 am

I've just bought a new Toshiba satellite L500 01W running Win7....it is by far the best laptop I have ever owned...easy to use and, after shopping around, the best value in terms of what I wanted in a laptop on my budget. I have had a Compaq, HP & Acer in the past. My Dad has the Compaq & I still have the HP...both still running well (XP). I have just sold the Acer as I personally didn't like it....and I hated Vista. When I asked around about the best laptops HP & Toshiba were mentioned the most.

geek_nik298, Nov 14, 11:22 am

mind telling why ?

geek_drcspy, Nov 14, 11:28 am

I think some are confusing acer and asus....different beasts.

geek_smac, Nov 14, 11:36 am

A tech working for for an insurance firm wrote off my partner's Asus and replaced it with a Vaio, hmm.

Fortunately, the keys don't seem to touch the screen. It also has a nicer keyboard than the Asus. I hope it has a long life.

geek_rua69, Nov 14, 11:45 am

My Asus X50RL keys shouldn't touch the screen but they have marked it a little (pressure on the top when in the bag I suspect) anyway as soon as I noticed that happening I started to use a cloth between the screen and keyboard when closed anyway......it's so simple and not any kind of drama and it works very well.........As for the laptop in general I've used many and I like this one it has nice easy to use keys and almost feels like a a full sized kb (- even though it isn't it seems to fit my fingers very well)......very quiet keys and respond well to finger taps......the touch pad works very nicely and is a pleasure to use compared to some I've usedand the machine just hums along..............

I've managed to toast the operating system a couple of times but the lappy came supplied with a recovery partition, (now wiped) and recovery cd/dvd........very good I reckon - also comes with 24month global warranty

geek_drcspy, Nov 14, 11:58 am

I'd guess thatyour sample size isn't that big, and that you're not in the tech/IT industry.

geek_dunedin_ree, Nov 14, 1:06 pm

I use my Asus laptop every day and i've had NO problems

geek_drcspy, Nov 14, 1:11 pm

normally the reason laptops are so cheap is because the company shops around for cheap parts so they can build the laptop for as cheap as possible and sell it off fast so you see a ridiculously cheap laptop in a shop that seems to good to be true but all you are buying is rubbish. :)

geek_west67, Nov 14, 2:23 pm

don't buy the new Toshiba satellite pro

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/toshiba-satellite-pro-l300d-notebook.jpg

horribly slow and i have had expirence with 6-7 of these all the same, sound card don't work properly possibly because of the slowness

geek_west67, Nov 14, 2:41 pm

drcspy....I guess I was one of the unlucky ones who had a lot of trouble with vista from the start....had a desktop at work with the first build on it, horribly slow compared to the HP laptop running XP at home...have found win7 so much more user friendly & faster...has the speed of XP & the looks of vista.
West67....that model laptop you mention above is over a year old...I use one at work and have no probs with it. I had to ask the store for the new Toshiba satellite I bought as they hadn't put them out yet (want to get rid of old stock no doubt), they still had them on the pallet out back! Look on the Toshiba website for the latest release laptops....that's where I found mine.

geek_nik298, Nov 14, 5:52 pm

all depends what features you require - personally I would recommend something from the hp business range...

geek_inteltech, Nov 14, 5:57 pm

yea, they are the one's ministry of Education sent out to schools at beginning of the year. but i agree with you there are some really good Toshiba's on the market today

geek_west67, Nov 14, 6:07 pm

I'm really happy with my Toshiba...only had it since Wednesday. It's built really well....best keyboard I've ever used....no screen distortion when you push lid, great display, good sound...I could go on - I really love it!

geek_nik298, Nov 14, 6:21 pm

I've searched TM MB for defective Vaios, only found a couple, that means they're seem to be sturdy...? On the other hand, I checked most computer shops today and compared prices, Toshiba and Lenovo appears so much cheaper than the rest with the same specs, I wonder why, could it be that they are not reliable in the long run????

geek_maxi090605, Nov 14, 11:19 pm

I think alot of MOA establishments have swaped over to HP as the lease agreement was quite a bit cheaper than the Tosh laptops were this time around.

HP Business stuff is usually very good, had a few problems with elite books but other than that not to bad.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Nov 14, 11:54 pm

UM...........Yep that doesnt' suprise me. Initially as with xp machines were being sold 'underspecced' (not enuf ram for a start) and vista WAS a pig.It's dramatically improved since they put out the service packs.......

win7 is a lot less demanding on the system tho.

bloody microsoft.....put out vista and forced millions of people to buy it as it came pre-installed on most machines.Then a mere couple of years later 'oh sorry we screwed up it's a pig- but never mind - heres ANOTHER operating system you can buy from us'Greedy bastards

geek_drcspy, Nov 15, 4:38 am

The desktop at work was a Compaq with only 512MB RAM....just not big enough for Vista....we still have it & even with all the service packs, it's still a dog to use...drives me nuts! I also use a Toshiba Satellite L300 with Vista at work and it runs alot better......I have just sold my 8 month old Acer....wasn't impressed with it - I think it was the specs combined with Vista that I didn't like....looked very impressive on paper though (also didn't like the 16" screen - too big for a laptop)....I ended up getting my 4yo HP out and using that the last few weeks.

geek_nik298, Nov 15, 7:41 am

512mb ram with vista is ASKING for SLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

geek_drcspy, Nov 15, 8:05 am

acer = problems

geek_stressed568, Nov 15, 8:06 am

I totally agree....I knew we were getting a new PC and I suggested my boss buy one with XP installed before Vista came out........

geek_nik298, Nov 15, 11:00 am

I never had any real problems with my Acer...just didn't suit me or my needs....a friend of mine did have BIG problems though...especially with the service!

geek_nik298, Nov 15, 11:01 am

Well i have an asus Z92T and it worked fine the first 2 years, but this year has been nothing but problems. First the battery wouldnt charge and it constantly died, turned out the motherboard needed replacing (now also have a dead battery that is not covered under warranty), took 7 weeks to fix.
Now(approx 3months later) having more problems, strange lines and patterns on screen, screen going black, laptop not rebooting etc. Guess what? motherboard need replacing again after only 3 months of me having it back. The repair place has had it for 3 weeks now, they say it will be another 2 weeks before it is ready. so the saga continues.... getting a bit pissed off though. mine must be a lemon.
I'm now thinking about getting a macbook pro 15 inch, but might wait till the new ones come out. Are macbook pros reliable? do they have many problems?

geek_kitty251, Nov 15, 12:08 pm

I had to ring Asus last week about an issue I had with my laptop.I spoke to a very helpful person in Auckland who arranged for it to be picked up the next day.
They rang me on Fridayjust to let me know what was happening and assured me I will have the laptop back by next Wed, a week after it went away.
Pretty good service and support, I think.

geek_datoofairy, Nov 15, 12:14 pm

mine is now under extended warranry, so i don't deal with asus direct. I now wouldnt buy another asus, but thats just from personal experience. I guess i got a lemon

geek_kitty251, Nov 15, 12:19 pm

Being highly rated compared to Acer is not saying much.

geek_mone, Nov 15, 12:20 pm

Being an avid Toshiba fan, I wouldn't buy any thing else(except perhaps dell or alienware) heck have a look for yourself on trademe, more Toshiba lappys listed than any other brand, Why ? been round longer? no... just more reliable, you will find more older models are still running ok, perhaps with dead or dying battery's where other brands older models have died, Acer's are the worse & Dr Asus might make there cards & mobos but they don't make there chips or components its either Nvidia, Radeon etc , & yes Toshiba might use a lot of Intel but at least they do make a lot of there own components chips & semiconductors etc never seen an Asutek capacitor,diode or transistor. In my opinion Toshiba's a strong notebook manufacturer but you do get what you pay for, they have budget models too & any new real untested technology could become a lemon, like the Qosimo video card lemon model.

geek_got2bin2win, Nov 15, 1:19 pm

What Is good about Dell???

geek_west67, Nov 15, 1:34 pm

Not a lot ^ but there high end machines, im talking when they bought out Alienware & started making some expensive higher spec machines, not the budget mass produced in the millions ok.

geek_got2bin2win, Nov 15, 1:40 pm

My Toshiba is a budget model ($1199) but it's alot better than a $1900 Acer!!!

geek_nik298, Nov 15, 2:06 pm

Thats a pretty stupid generalisation.

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 15, 2:08 pm

No they freaking don't ok, they subcontract to foundries like TMSC, UMC etc No manufacturer makes their own chips anymore. Even AMD spun off their fab as Global Foundries, mkay...

Edit/ Well except Samsung...

geek_osymandias, Nov 15, 2:11 pm

What are the specs on your Toshiba??? and what are the specs on the acer??? why do you say your Toshiba is better?

geek_west67, Nov 15, 2:14 pm

agree

geek_west67, Nov 15, 2:15 pm

Have owned both, worked on both, Acers have died or have freezing problems have had no problems with any of my toshibas except my 2 yr old tipping water on them which was easily fixed, And you lot get ya facts straight Toshiba Corp (6502.T), Japan's biggest chipmaker, the world's No.2 maker of NAND flash memory after Samsung Electronics Co (005930.KS), is eyeing stronger demand for the chips used in Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) iPhone, and for its system chips, used in Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation3 game console. Just as an example why don't you google Toshiba semi conductors & actually find out what they do make, Good amps will have a lot of Toshiba IC's in them for starters.

geek_got2bin2win, Nov 15, 2:49 pm