Cant access router, but internet works

got a mates laptop here that they have just got a broadband connection needing setup.

They were on the phone for hours to orcon, and had no luck getting into the router to set up the connection.
i connected my router to the laptop and i cant access mine either, but you can ping both routers fine, and the internet is working fine on the laptop through my router even though i cant access it in the browser.

Ive tried doing netsh winsock reset, using the winsock fix tool, and ran combo fix to check for malware corrupted entries etc, any idea what it could be? has me stumped. im on this laptop right now. lol

geek_nzoomed, Nov 20, 5:14 pm

Are you connecting wirelessly? most routers by default only allow access to physically connected machines.

geek_jess531, Nov 20, 5:16 pm

no its not connected wireless, just the ethernet cable

geek_nzoomed, Nov 20, 5:17 pm

what OS are we dealing with here zoom?

geek_tessal, Nov 20, 5:20 pm

xp home

geek_nzoomed, Nov 20, 5:22 pm

hows the state of his laptop looking,running wise? does it look like its got a ton of crap installed .. does it have in the right-hand corner 10+ statup items? disabled firewall for test purposes ( all firewalls ) ? have you run malwarebytes or an AV scanner on it?..

geek_tessal, Nov 20, 5:26 pm

Are you sure you are using the right address? What actually happens when you try to "login"?

geek_soodanim, Nov 20, 5:26 pm

also check msconfig for crazy a$$ startup items,and kill em..

geek_tessal, Nov 20, 5:27 pm

yeah i agree, some not all routers have a crazy default setting of 192.168.1.254 ( thomson ) most use 192.168.1.1 and then there is 10.1.1.1

geek_tessal, Nov 20, 5:29 pm

you have his router there with you now yes? what breed is it..

geek_tessal, Nov 20, 5:32 pm

post the ipconfig /all output if you can.

geek_tessal, Nov 20, 5:33 pm

dont worry its working now
did a driver update seems to work OK now lol

geek_nzoomed, Nov 20, 5:58 pm

Driver update? Interesting. What driver was that nzoomed?

geek_rich_mild, Nov 20, 6:36 pm

just for the realtek 8139 onboard lan

geek_nzoomed, Nov 20, 7:32 pm