Acer laptop any good

I need an new laptop urgently as mine has died!I know nothing I genreally use it for trademe,facebook,MYOB and surfing the net.Do you think this auction is a good buy?#328810796 .?TIA

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 3:36 pm

no

geek_lostdude, Nov 3, 3:37 pm

nope.

geek_gibler, Nov 3, 3:38 pm

thanks but why not?Has a 5yr warranty with it?Please help as I know nothing!

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 3:41 pm

After sales service generally isn't the best.

Reliability at the very low end of the market isn't much different between brands, HP/Compaq and Acer generally come out worst because the majority of their system are very cheap - no only are they lower quality they are also less likely to be looked after properly.

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 3, 3:45 pm

geek_lostdude, Nov 3, 3:49 pm

thanks that is good to know.I rang smtihs city and they said Acer is a great brand!?

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 3:52 pm

lostdude is that a good buy?Can I buy online?

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 3:53 pm

and you believed them?

geek_gibler, Nov 3, 4:01 pm

No.

geek_tissuebox, Nov 3, 4:03 pm

lol gibler yes have used smiths city a lot and they have always been really good with me so I trusted them with what they said!!Ok sounds naive but I know nothing!

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 4:06 pm

What do you think the Acer would be worth then as I have made him an offer?

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 4:07 pm

About start price ($800)

geek_vtecintegra, Nov 3, 4:10 pm

hahahahahah they sell them !

acer is the WORST brand

DON'T buy the bloody thing

buy an Asus they have a two year global warranty and they're the most reliable.........laptops are EXPENSIVE to repair:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

geek_drcspy, Nov 3, 4:15 pm

My new Acer had to go back for repairs after two weeks - bad sectors on hard drive. Hard drive had to be replaced. Then they sent me a customer satisfaction survey to fill in !

geek_wardz4, Nov 3, 4:53 pm

ok thanks all I think I will withdraw my offer!

geek_blackbnz, Nov 3, 4:56 pm

That is not an Acer issue, you cant accredit that to a brand other than the maker of the actual Hard Drive.And Hard Drives can fail even brand new ones.

On another note, Yeah Acer are not so well know for quality and reliability.

geek_malachiman, Nov 3, 5:51 pm

I have an acer goes fine... Had it for 3 years took it in once to get ram upgraded and some viruses removed

geek_pipi66, Nov 3, 9:15 pm

And I'm pretty sure the ram on that laptop is meant to be 3gb not 3mb because 3mb ram couldn't handle ATI Radeon 4250

geek_pipi66, Nov 3, 9:16 pm

The brand of laptop is one issue.Another - and possibly a deciding factor - is the compatability between the version of MYOB you have and the operating system installed.More details here - http://myob.co.nz/business/customer-service-support/support/new-microsoft-environments-page-1257828256821

geek_builders_mate, Nov 6, 11:38 pm

If you get windows 7 pro or ultimate, I believe both come with XP compatibility mode via a VM, which should run most oldersoftware.

geek_mattnzw, Nov 6, 11:47 pm

That's still a pain in the butt though, if I needed to run something that needed XP, I'd stick with XP.

geek_jp.r, Nov 6, 11:56 pm