Acer Recovery Discs?

HI guys, I have an Acer aspire laptop which I need to do a recovery on but the discs I made initially are gone and I have no way of getting them back (Long story) & since the laptop came with no recovery discs from new I was wondering how I go about loading vista basic back onto it? Or do I have to get a new Vista pack? I thought about Ubuntu but would prefer to stick with Windows if possible? I have the product key on the bottom of my Acer if that helps? Thanks for any advice on this matter. Have a good night.

geek_cushla28, Nov 20, 8:48 pm

Do you not have the option of creating new recovery discs or a recovery partition?

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:01 pm

Hi the reason I need the discs is that my laptops hard drive broke and I have put a new one in it and need the discs to load Vista onto the new HD :) Thanks.

geek_cushla28, Nov 20, 9:15 pm

you could download or borrow a vista dvd and download the drivers its the product key that counts.

What is the model number?

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:21 pm

Thanks, Its an Aspire 5315 I think I am not at home but I am sure thats the model.

geek_cushla28, Nov 20, 9:26 pm

Warning, You can't just use any vista disc as you will have a Large OEM license.

You NEED Acer Recovery Version of Windows otherwise it won't activate. Best bet is to ring Acer Support and order some new discs

geek_baker-assoc, Nov 20, 9:29 pm

The product id on the bottom of the laptop will be unique to there system.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:32 pm

Sorry I am not that sure what you mean by "Large OEM license"?? Sorry for my ignorance :) Cheers.

geek_cushla28, Nov 20, 9:32 pm

They mean that recovery discs or partitions use the same product key for millions of pcs..

Your fine if you have a product key for vista on the bottom of your laptop.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:46 pm

Hey again guys, I got a hold of a Vista Basic install disc(not Acer) and installed it and that all went fine. Then I dled the atheros driver for my internet and updated windows and all that went fine. however even after I deleted the old version of windows I only have 83gb of space left out of 120gb, That seems low to me after a fresh install. Am I wrong? Also there are not many programs when I go to c;program files. DO I need to get any other programs etc? Cheers guys.

geek_cushla28, Nov 21, 8:33 pm

you should of formatted the drive before reinstalling.
Vista installed on this laptop including office etc uses only 18gb.

hope you have antivirus installed.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 21, 8:39 pm

Hey I popped Avast on there. Should I start again? and format the HD? If yes then how do I go about doing it? As I just booted from a vista dvd in BIOS? Sorry to be a pain. Thanks BT :)

geek_cushla28, Nov 21, 8:49 pm

This was a brand new hard-drive ?
The extra space maybe from restore points..

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 21, 9:14 pm

It is a refurb. 120GB and it was blank before I installed it in my laptop the first time but when I did the second install today with the correct version of vista it created a folder with the old version I installed but I delated that when I had loaded the new vista.If I took it out of the laptop and connected it to another pc could I delete evertything on it that way and start again? Or is that just not how it works? Thanks.

geek_cushla28, Nov 21, 9:19 pm

It will be fine as it is your harddrive is probably only 111gb formatted so your actually only using 28GB

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 21, 9:26 pm

HI guys, I have an Acer aspire laptop which I need to do a recovery on but the discs I made initially are gone and I have no way of getting them back (Long story) & since the laptop came with no recovery discs from new I was wondering how I go about loading vista basic back onto it! Or do I have to get a new Vista pack! I thought about Ubuntu but would prefer to stick with Windows if possible! I have the product key on the bottom of my Acer if that helps! Thanks for any advice on this matter. Have a good night.

geek_cushla28, Nov 20, 8:48 pm

Do you not have the option of creating new recovery discs or a recovery partition!

usually ALT+F10 or F10 at startup.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:01 pm

you could download or borrow a vista dvd and download the drivers its the product key that counts.

What is the model number!

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:21 pm

Warning, You can't just use any vista disc as you will have a Large OEM license.

You NEED Acer Recovery Version of Windows otherwise it won't activate. Best bet is to ring Acer Support and order some new discs

geek_baker-assoc, Nov 20, 9:29 pm

Sorry I am not that sure what you mean by "Large OEM license"! Sorry for my ignorance :) Cheers.

geek_cushla28, Nov 20, 9:32 pm

They mean that recovery discs or partitions use the same product key for millions of pcs.

Your fine if you have a product key for vista on the bottom of your laptop.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 20, 9:46 pm

Hey again guys, I got a hold of a Vista Basic install disc(not Acer) and installed it and that all went fine. Then I dled the atheros driver for my internet and updated windows and all that went fine. however even after I deleted the old version of windows I only have 83gb of space left out of 120gb, That seems low to me after a fresh install. Am I wrong! Also there are not many programs when I go to c;program files. DO I need to get any other programs etc! Cheers guys.

geek_cushla28, Nov 21, 8:33 pm

Hey I popped Avast on there. Should I start again! and format the HD! If yes then how do I go about doing it! As I just booted from a vista dvd in BIOS! Sorry to be a pain. Thanks BT :)

geek_cushla28, Nov 21, 8:49 pm

This was a brand new hard-drive !
The extra space maybe from restore points.

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 21, 9:14 pm

It is a refurb. 120GB and it was blank before I installed it in my laptop the first time but when I did the second install today with the correct version of vista it created a folder with the old version I installed but I delated that when I had loaded the new vista.If I took it out of the laptop and connected it to another pc could I delete evertything on it that way and start again! Or is that just not how it works! Thanks.

geek_cushla28, Nov 21, 9:19 pm

It will be fine as it is your harddrive is probably only 111gb formatted so your actually only using 28GB

Try emptying the recycle bin and checking used space.

Here's a good guide on how to do a clean install of vista.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallVista/installvista1.htm This is the screen where you would format the drive.
http://www.blackviper.com/images/Articles/OS/InstallVista/images/Windows_Vista_Install_Guide_10_png.jpg

geek_blenheim-trader, Nov 21, 9:26 pm