ADSL2+ modem, wireless router

Intending to get a good ADSL2+ modem or router whats the best one out there. Currently using D-Link G604T Wireless router.

geek_sky-dragon, Nov 20, 9:43 pm

Dynalink RTA1025W
It does everything except VOIP, which is internet telephone.
Don't pay more than $100 for this second hand.

geek_peter148, Nov 20, 9:53 pm

Good move upgrading from DLINK. Worst brand ever. Too many faults and bad tech support from the manufactuer.

geek_satellitebeep, Nov 20, 9:57 pm

actually DLINK is very good and very easy to use! only reason im upgrading is due to ADSL2+ modem not sure that Dynalink RTA1025W is any good it was given out by from slingshot before!

geek_sky-dragon, Nov 20, 10:07 pm

Fair comment. You realise the D-Link G604T can handle ADSL2+?

geek_satellitebeep, Nov 20, 10:16 pm

Yeah I have a 1025W that SS gave me and it seems pretty good so far although since I got my new laptop at least 3 times a day I have to go into the router setup and connect again? and yes I am running the latest firmware. Weird.

geek_vitaminh, Nov 20, 10:20 pm

thas what I thought too but there is a bug in the router were its says im connecting at 7500kbps but im on ADSL2+ line it should read something like 16000 kbps downstream

geek_sky-dragon, Nov 20, 11:19 pm

no. it will read what the connection is. Why do you say it should show 16000 ??

geek_swivel, Nov 20, 11:24 pm

Have you got the latest firmware for the G604T?

http://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-G604T-GenII_NZ/REV_C/Firmware/Firmware_V3.02B01T01.NZ.20080827_EXE/

Assuming you have a GenII modem

geek_satellitebeep, Nov 20, 11:32 pm

"best" ?
cisco, go. Anything over $5000 will be good.

geek_willfam, Nov 21, 12:52 am

I've had problems with Linksys on a dozen different occasions, all consecutive, all with slightly varying hardware and in different countries. D-Link has served me faithfully on the other hand. Having said that - anyone with knowledge able to recommend a modem with a good chipset that tends to perform better than others over shit poor quality phone lines?

geek_volkier, Nov 21, 1:26 am

I had a linksys modem adsl2+ on the same line and it read 16000kbps but now when I try this Dlink G604 it reads 7500kbps!

geek_sky-dragon, Nov 21, 12:52 pm

Yeah I have a 1025W that SS gave me and it seems pretty good so far although since I got my new laptop at least 3 times a day I have to go into the router setup and connect again! and yes I am running the latest firmware. Weird.

geek_vitaminh, Nov 20, 10:20 pm

no. it will read what the connection is. Why do you say it should show 16000 !

geek_swivel, Nov 20, 11:24 pm

"best" !
cisco, go. Anything over $5000 will be good.

geek_willfam, Nov 21, 12:52 am

I've had problems with Linksys on a dozen different occasions, all consecutive, all with slightly varying hardware and in different countries. D-Link has served me faithfully on the other hand. Having said that - anyone with knowledge able to recommend a modem with a good chipset that tends to perform better than others over shit poor quality phone lines!

Don't care about the cost (other than being something ridiculous going into 7 digits to run fibre from the exchange to our property) - just something which would handle high noise and lower signals better.

geek_volkier, Nov 21, 1:26 am