Windows 7 (64bit) will only start in Safe Mode

When I try to start up my PC in normal mode it gets to the login screen, I enter my details (admin account) and it completely freezes up. Can anyone help me identify what may be causing the problem, please?

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 28, 10:29 pm

tried system restore to a day or 2 ago?

geek_zeropower510, Nov 28, 10:35 pm

Firstly, make sure it's free from viruses & malware.

- Start PC in Safe-mode with networking
- Download, install & update malwarebytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php - Run a FULL scan with Malwarebytes. - Run an online scan: http://www.eset.com/online-scanner
- Restart into normal mode.

geek_lostdude, Nov 28, 10:36 pm

Okay, further to that I was playing an online game when the system initially locked up. Whilst in safe mode I uninstalled the game itself and was then able to launch my PC in normal mode.

I tried reinstalling the game from scrtch and then my system locks up again part way through installation. I try restarting and same thing happens. Get to windows login screen, enter my details and it freezes up. So I restart and can get the system up and running in safe mode, uninstall the game again and am then able to login to my PC.

I've played this game for a week prior to this issue cropping up (on this PC, it's a new one I got last weekend) Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 28, 10:39 pm

Yeah, I tried a system restore.. as long as those game files are on my PC system restore doesn't work (still freezes at windows login)

I'll try malwarebytes now (I'm logged in at the moment via normal mode now that I've removed those game files) The game is WoW (World of Warcraft) if that matters any.

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 28, 10:41 pm

Check you video settings. Might have to do that in safe mode.

geek_swivel, Nov 29, 8:17 am

I was just streaming content from youtube prior to coming to work when my PC froze up again. I figured it might be my video card drivers so I uninstalled them and reinstalled them again. But I'm still having issues on start up and if I do manage to get past the login screen it will eventually freeze up on me. When it freezes up is completely random: I could be doing different things (listening to music, browsing the internet, streaming video content, trying to reinstall WoW) etc

Could this be a hardware issue? How can I diagnose what, exactly, is causing this? (any diagnostic tools?)

This PC is just over a week old :(

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 29, 8:51 am

Try a RAM testing program.

geek_r.g.nixon, Nov 29, 8:55 am

Recommend a program?

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 29, 9:20 am

Does your video card have a fan, and is it turning freely.But as it's just over a week old, go back to the seller about the problem

geek_swivel, Nov 29, 9:21 am

I got it custom made by a friend. It has two video cards and the case also has three fans IIRC. I took it to my friend (who put it together for me) over the weekend and he wasn't sure what was causing the problem either.

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 29, 9:30 am

I'd say it's a software problem because they can get into safe-mode fine. The offending app is not running in safe-mode so try msconfig in safe-mode, select Diagnostic Startup then restart back into normal mode. If you can get in that way, then go back to post #3 & this time respond to requests.

geek_lostdude, Nov 29, 10:04 am

Also get this:

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/portable

run, then check the system temps.

geek_lostdude, Nov 29, 10:07 am

Thanks lostdude. I will do that once I get home (am at work at the moment) I really appreciate all the help posted so far in this thread. :)

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 29, 10:19 am

Did all of the above (the scans came back clean) and also installed speccy. The temps I see are around the high 30 range to early 40s before the system crashes again :(

Any other ideas?

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 29, 9:46 pm

Did you try a RAM test as r.g.nixon suggested?

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.10/memtest86+-4.10.iso.zip

geek_lostdude, Nov 29, 10:07 pm

I'm not sure that I'm doing this properly but every time I try to burn the ISO my system crashes. I tried the USB flash drive version but I'm not sure what to do once the files are on the flash drive? :-x

I may just need to take my box to a PC Repair place.

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 30, 7:28 am

Okay, so I start to boot up with the files on the flash drive but it constantly stalls before the login screen.

Taking it to a PC repair shop this morning ><

geek_miss_vampy, Nov 30, 8:54 am

Yep, Take it back to the guy that built it.

geek_swivel, Nov 30, 8:55 am

My guess is a crook stick of ram. Memtest will freeze before it reveals which one is crook. Only way is by elimination, one at a time.

geek_hakatere1, Nov 30, 9:56 am

geek_miss_vampy-- Anything ever happen with your comp?

geek_guest, Jan 5, 4:19 pm