Dino7 & other V845 users, some advice please?

I'm using mine on the 2degrees network, so I guess it's roaming much of the time. Seems to allow GPS, but no browsing. I have installed appkiller, but nothing else so far. What do you peeps recommend as 'must have' apps for this little cheapie? I bought it to teach me how to use Android, before getting a better unit later in the year. My son already wants to pinch it off me.

Also, I bought it with a free Vodafone connection pack, how do I claim my $200 call credit?

geek_papariccardo, Dec 28, 9:41 am

i got the ideos and love it :) but the apps i have so far are Bluetooth ON/OFF, GPS ON/OFF, 2G-3G ON/OFF, App Killer, Flight Director Game LOL love that, WiFI ON/OFF and the various vibration meters to measure for aftershocks here in the shaky city :)

geek_flewy, Dec 28, 10:10 am

I'm using:
Aldiko (ebook reader)
Chrome to Phone (send urls, text etc from your pc to the phone)
Compass
Dropbox (sync files between many devices)
Google Reader (news reader)
Google Sky Map (shows where the stars)
IMDB
Launcher Pro (home screen/app launcher replacement)
Google Listen (podcast player)
mPass (Air NZ booking app)
Shazam (music recogniser)
Tricorder (simulation of the classic Star Trek device)

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 28, 10:24 am

arcmedia to i got , gives the phone a better media player wityh more codec support.

geek_flewy, Dec 28, 10:26 am

I use Music Mod as the media player (built into the ROM I'm using but think you can get it from the market)

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 28, 10:29 am

Choice! Maybe I should give you fellas my phone for a day or 3, to tune it for me!

geek_papariccardo, Dec 28, 10:47 am

Cool

First things I loaded up:
FrozenBubble
GPS Test
c:geo
WhereYouGo
ConnectBot
andriod-vnc-viewer
HamSatDroid

I might take a look at some of the ones you mentioned too.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 28, 2:21 pm

Also saw an ideos here for $170 buy-now (from a trader with lots of trades and 100% feedback) just after I bought mine. If you're patient there will probably be others.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 28, 2:28 pm

Damn 2degrees gave them away willy-nilly, effectively slashing the value of them. I'm waiting to buy one from them direct for $200. Although, I understand if I buy one today and immediately load $150 credit, I get the phone for $150. Don't want to spend another $300 this week tho!

geek_papariccardo, Dec 28, 3:14 pm

copilot
wifi analyzer
evernote
Better Keyboard pro
Winamp
Documents to Go paid
Retro Cam
Google sky
Miren Browser
mPass
Root Explorer
Better Terminal
Titanium Backup Pro
Penetrate
Barnacle Wifi
SetCPU
GO SMS
K9 Mail
Net Scan
SwitchPro
tappatalk pro
VLC remote

That's the essentials to make android functional.

geek_osymandias, Dec 28, 9:33 pm

What's the safest/easiest way to get root? And how much risk is there of bricking the phone?

I found a howto but I'm a bit afraid to do it;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=890138

geek_little_egypt, Dec 28, 9:47 pm

sorry mt andy is x10, depends on each phone. But, zRoot / rageagainstthecage is a well documented, much used, hack; so it shouldn't be risky.

geek_osymandias, Dec 28, 10:03 pm

Sorry but mine really is just a toy and I'm losing interest in it, as i have a work phone and its a pain carry 2 around, i haven't had issues with the data usage as i get no mobile coverage at home so it can only use my wireless network. So it can use a 2degress sim? wonder if i will get a reception out here (15 mins from Hamilton:P) The best apps i have found are the built in gps and google sky oh and google translate is pretty cool, in fact great if going away. oh the cat app:P the spirit level lol ...........i have tried a few but the 'osy' essential list looks more than essential.
I'm going to try a few of the apps listed on here ..........if i can find the 845:)

geek_dino7, Dec 28, 10:07 pm

is there any point to rooting it?? Doubt im brave enough LOL

geek_flewy, Dec 28, 10:18 pm

probably won't here either.There's a few things you need root for though. Can't run the screen shot app without it for example. I want dyndns and Saudi. Pretty sure I need root for those.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 9:01 am

Curious. If you put miren browser into bandwidth-saving mode all your traffic goes through a proxy in China, on an IP address used by the baidu search engine.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 10:53 am

HOLY CRAP I did it!!!

Followed that howto (had to figure out a few things along the way, some of the steps are missing or not quite right) and now when I open a terminal and type 'su' it warns me that something is requesting root, and if I allow it I get a root prompt!

I was really sweating waiting for it to reboot after having upgraded busybox etc...

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 2:50 pm

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 3:00 pm

now what :)

geek_flewy, Dec 29, 4:56 pm

Now I can take screenshots (without needing the USB cable and sdk) and I can back up all my installed apps.

Just about everything else I've wanted to do I don't need root for. I really only hacked it because it annoys me that I didn't have root.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 5:02 pm

lol, so all the screen shot apps i have seen need root??, not brave enough to do that yet , just got the thing,, and it'll be a wee while again before i have that money at my disposal... oh woooh is meeee

geek_flewy, Dec 29, 5:08 pm

The top section of that phone looks like a complete copy of my HTC - thought you must have been using one of them for a minute.

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 29, 5:48 pm

Yeah, the developers are Chinese, in B/width saving mode it will route the traffic through their servers which compress the bejeesus out of data. In settings you can put it to use that mode only on cellular and switch off when on wifi. This is what opera does as well, but you can't set it to do it only on cellular.

Yeah,chinese servers hmm... Oh well, I for one, welcome out new sino-ese overlords. Their data compression is quite amazing, AND Miren browser is miles ahead of other Android browsers.

geek_osymandias, Dec 30, 1:22 am

SetCPU will make your battery go further, set governor to ondemand and min Hz to well... minimum.

Titanium Backup will backup your apps, settings, and user data to SDcard - handy if you want to restore them after firmware flash. Unlike iOS, android lacks a built in backup/restore function for these things. So, if you don't have root, get ready to a lot of painful reloading of apps, settings and data after OS upgrades. Plus, you can use it to strip out the bloatware that came with your phone.

Root Explorer - Lets you get at the system partition easily.

geek_osymandias, Dec 30, 1:29 am

i'd want to make the CPU slower?

geek_dino7, Dec 30, 1:42 am

Which phone are you referring to as costing $200? As I understand it, you purchase $150 credit which gets loaded onto the phone (or your existing sim) and then total price is discounted accordingly. So if the phone costs $300, you pay $300 and get $150 credit with it.

http://is.gd/jIOj2

geek_lostdude, Dec 30, 8:27 am

Yep, I think I will load these things.

Do I expect to loose root any time the phone tells me there's an upgrade available? It seems easy enough to root again now that I know how anyway.

Also very interested to know what my options are if I happen to brick it. Possible to dump a new image directly to flash somehow?

geek_little_egypt, Dec 30, 10:19 am

yeah, the on demand governor in stock android is pants, part of the reason iOS has such better battery life. This way, on idle, it will drop the CPU speed to the slowest possible and crank it to full on demand - the way you expect modern systems to work. It's more aggressive then stock governor. If you have a cracked bootloader, try finding an under volt kernel if you can - the power optimisation on android is terrible, part of the problem of having to serve such a variety of devices.

geek_osymandias, Dec 30, 12:19 pm

Make sure you do a before and after comparison though - on many devices SetCPU won't save you any battery life

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 30, 12:27 pm

One more:
Smart Keyboard Pro - skinable replacement for the stock keyboard, fast as anything and heaps more customisation available.

There is a nagware trial if you don't want to drop the ~$3.50 straight away

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 30, 12:54 pm

vnc rocks lol just been tricking the misses with it lol

geek_flewy, Dec 30, 1:00 pm

oh and the fart app :)

geek_flewy, Dec 30, 1:00 pm

why is it you always brag about iOS , anytime android is mentioned. Same old comments lol

geek_johnf_456, Dec 30, 1:33 pm

Getting heaps better battery life today.

Also Cairo just went to buy a G7010 with her Christmas money and ended up getting an IDEOS + $150 credit for a grand total of $150.

Not sure how the internet access works on 2deg, it seems to be permanently roaming? Turned it off until I can find out what it costs just in case it sucks up the whole $150 credit in one day...

geek_little_egypt, Dec 30, 4:48 pm

Where are you located?If you're outside the 2d area you'll be roaming onto vodafones network which costs significantly more.

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 30, 5:51 pm

Costs the same, 2deg and Voda have a roaming agreement. You want to text "buy 50MB" to 233 to purchase national 50MB (duh) for 5$. If you are in AUC, WLK, CHC, or queenstown you can buy data cheaper using their data zones.

But, costs are same, 2 deg native or voda.

geek_osymandias, Dec 30, 6:50 pm

Yeah, it depends on how the kernel is set up. Lots of custom kernels already include custom governors so... you need to try, use for a week or two - then turn off for week or two. It's bloody annoying actually.

geek_osymandias, Dec 30, 6:52 pm

You guys maybe able to help me I have a vodafone 845 and have instilled a new text app however I can't seem to remove the factory app so am getting two of the same message anyone know how to delete the factory text program

geek_camerong1, Mar 19, 6:21 am

Hardly relevant to now the op no longer has this phone IIRC

geek_johnf_456, Mar 19, 8:20 am

You guys maybe able to help me I have a vodafone 845 and have instilled a new text app however I can't seem to remove the factory app so am getting two of the same message anyone know how to delete the factory text program

geek_camerong1, Mar 20, 6:21 am

I'm using:
Aldiko (ebook reader)
Chrome to Phone (send urls, text etc from your pc to the phone)
Compass
Dropbox (sync files between many devices)
Google Reader (news reader)
Google Sky Map (shows where the stars)
IMDB
Launcher Pro (home screen/app launcher replacement)
Google Listen (podcast player)
mPass (Air NZ booking app)
Shazam (music recogniser)
Tricorder (simulation of the classic Star Trek device)

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 29, 10:24 am

I use Music Mod as the media player (built into the ROM I'm using but think you can get it from the market)

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 29, 10:29 am

Also saw an ideos here for $170 buy-now (from a trader with lots of trades and 100% feedback) just after I bought mine. If you're patient there will probably be others.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 2:28 pm

copilot
wifi analyzer
evernote
Better Keyboard pro
Winamp
Documents to Go paid
Retro Cam
Google sky
Miren Browser
mPass
Root Explorer
Better Terminal
Titanium Backup Pro
Penetrate
Barnacle Wifi
SetCPU
GO SMS
K9 Mail
Net Scan
SwitchPro
tappatalk pro
VLC remote

That's the essentials to make android functional.

geek_osymandias, Dec 29, 9:33 pm

What's the safest/easiest way to get root! And how much risk is there of bricking the phone!

I found a howto but I'm a bit afraid to do it;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php!t=890138

geek_little_egypt, Dec 29, 9:47 pm

My andy is x10, depends on each phone. But, zRoot / rageagainstthecage is a well documented, much used, hack; so it shouldn't be risky.

geek_osymandias, Dec 29, 10:03 pm

Sorry but mine really is just a toy and I'm losing interest in it, as i have a work phone and its a pain carry 2 around, i haven't had issues with the data usage as i get no mobile coverage at home so it can only use my wireless network. So it can use a 2degress sim! wonder if i will get a reception out here (15 mins from Hamilton:P) The best apps i have found are the built in gps and google sky oh and google translate is pretty cool, in fact great if going away. oh the cat app:P the spirit level lol .i have tried a few but the 'osy' essential list looks more than essential.
I'm going to try a few of the apps listed on here .if i can find the 845:)

geek_dino7, Dec 29, 10:07 pm

probably won't here either.There's a few things you need root for though. Can't run the screen shot app without it for example. I want dyndns and SSHD. Pretty sure I need root for those.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 30, 9:01 am

HOLY CRAP I did it!

Followed that howto (had to figure out a few things along the way, some of the steps are missing or not quite right) and now when I open a terminal and type 'su' it warns me that something is requesting root, and if I allow it I get a root prompt!

I was really sweating waiting for it to reboot after having upgraded busybox etc.

geek_little_egypt, Dec 30, 2:50 pm

geek_little_egypt, Dec 30, 3:00 pm