Acer Laptop

Mums got an acer laptop. its like 5 years old at a guess. its a bit slow and outdated. is it possible to take it into a shop and have it revamped or should i just buy a new lappy?

geek_angel404, Jan 4, 8:25 pm

If you have the money, you should buy a new laptop. Acers aren't the best and I think the sensible bet is to invest in a better brand/quality of laptop over spending a few hundred to get some modest performance increases out of an outdated laptop.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 4, 8:27 pm

'revamping' that laptop is pretty well impractical really about the best you could do economically would be to install a little more ram (depending on what it's got already)........forget it and buy a new one.............NOT Acer......

geek_drcspy, Jan 4, 8:30 pm

thanks we thought that might be the case. what brand would u recommend? i am wanting it mostly for study/assignments.

geek_angel404, Jan 4, 8:30 pm

Apple, Asus, Toshiba (IMO).

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 4, 8:31 pm

Which model is it? I have a 5 year old Acer laptop as well. Just recently put in 1gb of RAM for $20 and now I am happy with the speed. Now just waiting for its slow death (keyboard keys are dislodging, and display is doesn't go the whole width) before I need to buy a new laptop.

geek_khairul23, Jan 4, 8:43 pm

Aspire 3503. manufactured in may 05. ha yeah 1 key is missing off the keyboard.

geek_angel404, Jan 4, 8:50 pm

Asus, Toshiba, apple if you're a masochist

geek_kevin16, Jan 4, 8:53 pm

I'd put a fresh install of XP on it, run something like XPLite to trim it down and remove unnecessary services from using up resources, and yeah probably slot another 1GB of ram in there. Should run fine for your mum, unless she's a hardcore gamer or photoshop wizard

Here's an article on the programs like XPLite -

http://lifehacker.com/374376/trim-down-windows-to-the-bare-essentials

geek_wpcnz, Jan 4, 11:04 pm

ok so if im looking at new laptop what specs are good?

geek_angel404, Jan 5, 10:14 am

Bigger numbers = more gigas = more good!

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 5, 11:14 am

Unless you want to game or to do video editing pretty much any new laptop from those brands would suit. Have a browse through some online stores and post one that you like the look of.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 5, 11:15 am

Toshibas have really awful industrial design IMO, poor ergonomics too.Personally I'd go with a Dell, at least you get more choice with configurations than most of the other manufacturers (just see how hard it is to specify a decent screen these days)

Also I don't think Acers are anywhere near as bad as the rep they get on here, however their after sale support and parts availability is pretty terrible.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 5, 11:41 am

i love my acer and i have been told they are the best brand of laptop to buy,
mine is 5 or so years old now and still working

geek_cmjury1, Jan 5, 12:08 pm

Sell it quick! You are running on borrowed time!

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 5, 1:06 pm

Recovery, proper software setup, & some ram is the best you can do - would probably make a difference but some of the older ram can e a bit expensive these days :-(

geek_awrenn, Jan 5, 1:36 pm

geek_drcspy, Jan 5, 1:39 pm

Not through tm I hope. Nobody else wants your rubbish. If it's stuffed, bin it and buy another one. Not crap Acer.

geek_chookin, Jan 5, 3:02 pm

For reasons explained before that is a flawed survey.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 5, 3:13 pm

explained where/when ? LINK ?

geek_drcspy, Jan 5, 3:27 pm

The main one: no breakdown of how many systems came from each manufacturer and at what price points.Without this data the survey is pretty much meaningless.

All you can get really get from the survey is that cheaper systems are more likely to fail and guess what - Acer and HP between them pretty much own the very low end of the market.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 5, 3:37 pm

they did state this:

" netbooks have shown themselves to be on average 20 percent less reliable than entry-level laptops, which in turn are 10 percent more likely to break down than premium machines."

more info:

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

geek_drcspy, Jan 5, 3:46 pm

so if i was to buy a new what what brand would you recommend? i was going to get one throu harvey norman when they had their sales on but i missed out

geek_cmjury1, Jan 5, 6:13 pm

Personally I own/use and like/trust Asus hardware

geek_drcspy, Jan 5, 7:08 pm

Asus?
i havnt heard of that one are they sold everywhere, (yes im computer dumb,) i was given my laptop for my 21st

geek_cmjury1, Jan 5, 7:16 pm

Exactly - they hinted at the problem themselves

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 5, 7:18 pm

Asus make motherboards/video cards and laptops and now desktops also.........they've been in business quite a few years and are HIGHLY regarded ......

geek_drcspy, Jan 5, 8:05 pm

given the choice between an Asus motherboard/laptop whatever and a different brand I"ll choose Asus.....

geek_drcspy, Jan 5, 8:06 pm

what about something like this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=345055872

i only play facebook games, otherwise i want to just use it for studenty stuff.

geek_angel404, Jan 5, 9:04 pm