Is downloading torrents illegal?

Is downloading torrents illegal? Is downloading torrents illegal?
Just wondering, thanks

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 9:24 pm

Depends what they are. Downloading a torrent of a linux distro isn't, for example.

geek_dunedin_ree, May 27, 9:25 pm

Music + moviesso i can download linux do you mean?

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 9:28 pm

Downloading copyrighted material, eg the majority of music, movies, software etc is illegal. Downloading open source software is not.

geek_chapadao, May 27, 9:30 pm

Music and movies illegal unless they are royalty-free (read the warnings at the start of your DVD that you hire. All commercial music and movies - illegal). Linux and other open-source software - not illegal.

geek_dunedin_ree, May 27, 9:31 pm

Ok*sneaks off quietly continuing to download Billy Idol*

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 9:31 pm

Music & movies that you normally would have to pay for are obviously illegal to download. Freeware like Linux is ok to download.

geek_mat456, May 27, 9:31 pm

I thought distribution was the illegal part, eg uploading material to others.

geek_teroopu, May 27, 9:32 pm

Seriously why did you think you could download music for "free" rather than pay for it?

geek_dunedin_ree, May 27, 9:32 pm

Ohyou'z a rebel, y0h. yell

geek_chapadao, May 27, 9:33 pm

Re 9, my car was stolen with all my billy idol music, they wouldnt give insurance for the CD's (WTF I Know)

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 9:33 pm

8that's like assuming it's illegal to sell drugs, but ok to buy them

geek_chapadao, May 27, 9:33 pm

9doesn't make it right. but have fun with that

geek_chapadao, May 27, 9:34 pm

Oops 11 i mean

geek_chapadao, May 27, 9:34 pm

Next time, rip any CD you buy first. Technically, THAT's still illegal in NZ (i think?) but no judge I know of is going to prosecute you for ripping a CD when you can prove that you own it.

geek_dunedin_ree, May 27, 9:35 pm

Since when do Judges decide who to prosecute?

geek_vtecintegra, May 27, 9:40 pm

Never thought about ripping I will do that with all of them, thanks. That way they can all be on my laptop too?

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 9:41 pm

Since they DEcided hondas were cool

geek_chapadao, May 27, 9:42 pm

Meh, vec. Yep, rip all your cds onto your laptop (if you have room). That way you have a backup if your original cds get all scratched up, you can create "mix tapes" (lol), play music by hooking your lappie up to your stereo, etc. Thats how we did it in olden times before broadband ....

geek_dunedin_ree, May 27, 9:44 pm

Any Music without DRM or other protection is legal now to copy to digital media. (don't quote me) Bypassing protection though is still illegal as is copying DVD's.

geek_bidda2, May 27, 9:45 pm

I think its legal to download music and movies, as long as you don't listen to them or watch them, would that be right?

geek_spukeyfly, May 27, 9:50 pm

Cool, thanks I will press F1 for help in windows media lol. The only thing is this laptop came with a 100GB hard-drive, and after getting repaired under warranty(nothing to do with hard drive) it is now 30GB =/ .But i got an external 500GB hard drive for xmas, do i just plug it in and away we go?

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 9:56 pm

I doubt that very much. Yes, just plug the external HDD in - should come up as a removable drive in Windows Explorer.

geek_dunedin_ree, May 27, 10:00 pm

22If you're sure about that (check they haven't made partitions etc..) then complain to them.. that ain't on

geek_chapadao, May 27, 10:02 pm

Re6 you need to be put in prison ............for listening to billy idol! ffs buy the albums it will doubles his sales for the last year;)

geek_dino7, May 27, 10:18 pm

20You will find most recent audio CDs have some form of (trivial to break) DRM. Thus copying them is a no no

geek_vtecintegra, May 27, 10:19 pm

Lol dino7 classic

geek_tessal, May 27, 10:19 pm

Go back to listening to back-steet boys dino.

geek_pawlovers, May 27, 10:20 pm

No, the laws been changed recently to accommodate that. You can rip CDs but not DVDs

geek_evoeater, May 28, 12:20 am

Downloading any torrent file is fully legal its a text file, but the graphic/movie/music/ebook/archive that file points to could "belong" to someone else and they may not want to give it away, sometimes they want money. appreciation, money. its your responsibility to find out if your allowed to download it, eg http://orange.blender.org is perfectly legal to download over torrent.

geek_seriouslycgi, May 28, 1:39 am

Crikey! how can pressing buttons on your computer be illegal! lmao

geek_nzoomed, May 28, 11:56 am

is smoking illegal? duh depends on what your smoking.

geek_mone, May 29, 3:54 pm

Lol good one :)

geek_seriouslycgi, May 29, 4:13 pm

Lol i dont care if its illegal or not anyway! people are always going to download copyrighted items, and you cant stop them, unless ISP's block the ports to those clients

geek_nzoomed, May 29, 6:39 pm

What ports are they then? ...

geek_seriouslycgi, May 29, 6:52 pm

What is a torrent? ??

geek_jack47, May 29, 7:52 pm

Okonce you have downloaded Linux whats next?

geek_supertech1, May 29, 8:50 pm

What did you download? first

geek_seriouslycgi, May 29, 9:05 pm

It depends on what programs you are using torrent clients run through one certian port, emule has a default port, but you can change it to whatever you want, so you would have to block alot of ports which would cause all sorts of hasssles i heard some years ago that some isps were thinking of blocking the kazaa ports, but dont know if they did or not

geek_nzoomed, May 29, 9:13 pm

38hooters of course

geek_supertech1, May 29, 9:22 pm

Mkay then i dont know what to do with hooters, but play with them.

geek_seriouslycgi, May 29, 9:39 pm

Is it ok to download windows? i mean its m$ were talking about?

geek_nzoomed, May 29, 10:52 pm

Yes its ok to download windows just not allowed to install it

geek_seriouslycgi, May 29, 11:09 pm

Actually you are allowed to install it but you are not allowed to use your keyboard and schreen at the same time.

geek_nonbuyer, May 30, 3:26 am

Lol i bet its torrents where microsoft gets their customers and money! because when activation and validation fail, it directs you to their page where you can buy a genuine advantage kit, and some poor bugger who had buught a computer with non genuine windows installed getd directed to purchase the kit without understanding about it, pays m$ for some key make it genuine! lol

geek_nzoomed, May 30, 10:35 am

Http://tinyurl.com/nl3yt :)

geek_madmanadam, May 31, 11:13 am

46. Lol, catchy tune - dammit, now its stuck in my head!!!
Do what you want lalala

geek_richmc, May 31, 12:39 pm

You Are a Pirate http://youtube.com/watch?v=3AzpByR3MvI

geek_flewy, May 31, 12:40 pm

BitTorrent is a delivery protocol It's as legal as HTTP. What gets transferred via that protocol is questionable

geek_evoeater, May 31, 4:06 pm