Cheap isopropyl alcohol (100%)?

where can I buy it cheap? I usually buy it from the pharmacy, 50ml for $7, but I bought some from Jaycar electronics, 200ml for $10, I thought I was getting a bargain but it must've been 99% water, it was completely useless.

geek_vicvic, Jan 23, 2:19 pm

Try radio spares:
http://newzealand.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2274427

It is also available in a spray can for cleaning pcbs ect.

geek_twaymouth, Jan 23, 2:26 pm

geek_ross1970, Jan 23, 2:27 pm

and trademe
eg Auction numbers 347828050, 348707342 ...

geek_robotek, Jan 23, 2:30 pm

chemists have it.

geek_hunnyb1, Jan 23, 2:34 pm

that looks like the best deal, but is 95% good enough?

geek_vicvic, Jan 23, 2:35 pm

It says 90/95 so its not even going to be 95.

geek_ross1970, Jan 23, 3:02 pm

You won't get better than 95% unless it is distilled with something like benzine, and even then it will only be 97%.
You can buy it by the litre, any car paint shop stocks it

geek_cybertao, Jan 23, 3:06 pm

How many litres do you need?
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/601833
...signs of drug manufacture included purchases of large quantities of isopropyl alcohol...

geek_robotek, Jan 23, 3:25 pm

You can get it at corner dairies in south auckland.

Some hardware stores will stock it too.

geek_morrisman1, Jan 23, 3:46 pm

the bottle i have here is packed by TMK in auckland and I got it from hammer hardware in invercargill (e hayes). It says contains 100% isopropyl alcohol

geek_morrisman1, Jan 23, 3:48 pm

My Missus reckons it's the best fuel for Fondues.

geek_badcam, Jan 23, 3:55 pm

I reckon it's toxic and carcinogenic and you probably shouldn't have it anywhere near food... but each to their own.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 23, 3:57 pm

I'll have to Google that. So, I gather one should wear gloves when handling it?

geek_badcam, Jan 23, 4:00 pm

"Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase. Symptomsof isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption; therefore, well-ventilated areas and protective gloves are recommended." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

geek_little_egypt, Jan 23, 4:02 pm

I used to wash my hands with it at my old work and thought it was fantastic till they told me it will kill me LOL

geek_jcmp21, Jan 23, 4:46 pm

I wear gloves when I drink it. And I'm still alive(ish).

geek_nobles, Jan 23, 6:54 pm

Mitre 10 - 1 litre - $10 or not much more than that.

geek_psy-trading, Jan 23, 6:59 pm

Does mitre ten sell bulk tinfoil too?

geek_jcmp21, Jan 23, 7:10 pm

I think they might. The may as well sell seeds and cloned plants - the government is twiddling its thumbs over banning legal "fake marijuana" products which from all accounts are actually more harmful than the real thing.

geek_psy-trading, Jan 23, 7:42 pm

I've heard that party pills are far worse for you than the real drugs.

geek_jcmp21, Jan 23, 7:47 pm

I have to admit I used to take a few speed type BZP pills - glad they banned them and broke my habit. The new non-bzp pills are nasty - just make me puke my guts. I've been plagued with stomach problems ever since.

As for "fake marijuana" - I tried it twice and ended up needing to go to bed - curled up in the fetal position hoping the effects would quickly go away. Nasty uncomfortable feeling.

geek_psy-trading, Jan 23, 7:56 pm

Lmao at #17...when ingesting something toxic be sure and wear gloves...got it!

geek_guest, Jun 25, 2:01 am

you making p a? i reported you to my mum and dad you cunt.

geek_andrew_bann, Jun 25, 8:19 pm

haha gloves. It's not carcinogenic on the skin. So expensive in NZ!

geek_guest, Dec 23, 10:59 am

Share this thread