Advice on storage/print server please.

Looking to build alittle low-cost storage/print server.I??ôve been checking out some of the NAS type enclosures/devices but the lower cost ones seem to be unreliable and I can??ôt really justify spending bigger bucks.I figure I??ôll build a PC based one instead.Low-cost is essential so chances are I??ôll end up with some pretty low-spec hardware, an old laptop or shuttle perhaps.Must-have features:
??? Low noise, it??ôll run 24x7 and I sometimes sleep in the same room, I guess I should consider power consumption as well
??? Storage accessible from XP machines, throughput not important, main storage device will be a TB external USB HDD (i.e. an old laptop will be OK as long as it has USB ports)
??? Print Server
??? Remote control it from a Windows PC
??? BitTorrent client
??? Possibly FTP access in future
Easy enough for me to do this with XP but I figure that as the hardware may be rather dated maybe Linux is the way to go.My experience with Linux to date is rudimentary, so my questions are:
??? What flavour of Linux would I need to run the above on, e.g. a PIII 500 MHz with 512MB RAM
??? What other freeware/open source apps do I need
??? Is there a version of Linux that runs on thecr*ppy ARM based netbooks (that ship with CE) that I could use to achieve this.
Also, how noisy is something like that in 349293994?

geek_floydbloke, Jan 26, 4:07 pm

I'd look for a proper x86 netbook, preferably one with a broken screen.

Any Atom should do fine and be much more power efficient than a full sized laptop.You could do all you want with XP, otherwise any Linux distro should run fine.

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 26, 4:14 pm

I run Debian linux providing Apache+PHP, SAMBA, NFS, DHCP, NTP, Caching DNS, caching SQUID web proxy, CUPS printing, SANE scanning, and Transmission bittorrent client with a web interface.
It runs on a PIII with 256MB of RAM and 500GB hard-drive.

geek_cybertao, Jan 26, 4:39 pm

The trouble is an old PIII is not going to be as energy efficient as an Atom

geek_vtecintegra, Jan 26, 4:44 pm

The PIII didn't cost me anything apart from the hard-drive, the power savings on something newer aren't worth spending money for it.The PSU in the small form factor I'm using is only 90w, and the system idles so won't be drawing even that much.

geek_cybertao, Jan 26, 4:52 pm

Thanks for the tips.Good to know that a PIII 500 will do what I need it to.A netbook would be ideal though as I expect a a desktop based unit is always going to be that bit noisier.One's on here at the mo are still a bit pricey though, but as VTec suggests, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a busted one for the right $$$.

geek_floydbloke, Jan 26, 5:13 pm