Can't use Firefox to download WinXP SP3?

Anyone aware of this? I failed a few times and finally saw the small print: SP3 best downloaded by IE5 or higher. I should also share my experience: I wanted to install Paint.net, supposed to be a free, simple program for photo editing. But it requires WinXP SP3 when I only have SP2 installed.

geek_jaja6, Feb 6, 9:35 pm

I have also downloaded IE8 but still trying to install it after failed twice.

geek_jaja6, Feb 6, 9:38 pm

Nope, I just started downloading it using Safari.On a Mac.

geek_dunedin_ree, Feb 6, 9:38 pm

If you have Windows you'll already have IE somewhere.

geek_dunedin_ree, Feb 6, 9:38 pm

I *think* what you are encountering is the option on the MS download site that simply downloads an applet in Microsoft jscript to your desktop, which you click on to have the service pack installed directly to your machine from the remote server.Jscript (a Microsoft corruption of javascript) only runs in IE.

Google for the filename of the actual service pack
(WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-EN-
U.exe)
- it will come up on one of the MS download site links - and SAVE it to your Downloads folder.It weight about 324 MB so it won't be a 15-second download like that applet.
(edited to remove gormless wrapping!)
(edited again to admit defeat about gormless wrapping..)

geek_wombatunder, Feb 6, 9:46 pm

WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU-
.exe
Ach.There is no hyphen in the 'ENU' sequence.Trademe, d'ya hear me?

geek_wombatunder, Feb 6, 9:48 pm

Thanks, wombat. I give it another go.

geek_jaja6, Feb 6, 10:36 pm

That version is for IT Professionals and Developers only?

geek_jaja6, Feb 6, 10:42 pm

To use this site (http://update.microsoft.com .)
You must be using IE5 or higher: http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/thanks.aspx?ln=en&&thankspage=5

geek_jaja6, Feb 6, 10:55 pm

i wouldnt go near SP3 or IE for any programme

geek_kevymtnz, Feb 7, 1:09 am

It's the same update just not wrapped in moronproof activex that tells you if you already have sp3 and don't need to download it..

geek_little_egypt, Feb 7, 9:04 am

BaH Humbug to MS as well
Heres all you can eat ....
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 1:58 pm

You can download any of the SP's with Firefox, just get the full update for network admins not the activex-wrapped stub-installer for home users.. I downloaded XP SP2 and SP3 fairly recently and Vista SP1 and SP2 a few days ago all using Firefox on Debian. No problems from Microsoft...

geek_little_egypt, Feb 7, 2:02 pm

Nothing wrong with that website.
A lot of ppl use it for software thats either hard /confusing to get or not available through MS because of not being supported any more.

Same for sites like ...
Majorgeeks
Softpedia

All very well proven reliable & safe alternative sites

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 4:55 pm

Hi, thanks for the mesasge!It's always exciting to hear that people are enjoying the show from afar.I suppose the most important thing is maintaining a high level of exposure to English even after you return to Korea. You can achieve this in a number of ways, including listening to English broadcasts like my own or CNN, BBC etc. Another way would be to keep in touch with your Australian friends over Facebook or other social media. If you continue sending text mesasges back and forth your English will never grow rusty. As to your question, I would probably translate that as It's been a long time since I've seen the sun. Or you could also say This is the first time I've seen the sun in ages. Good luck!- M

geek_guest, May 5, 3:15 am