Should i split my 500gb drive into seperate

partitions for windows 7. Would it give better performance if i gave the operating system say 80 gb? and used the rest of the hdd for storage and basically turned it into the new 'my documents'

or should i just not bother and leave it as one partition?

geek_sunlight101, Feb 7, 5:13 pm

No, it's purely for convenience. It's easier to reinstall the OS if you run into any problems if it's on a seperate partition and your files are on another one.

geek_suicidemonkey, Feb 7, 5:19 pm

Definitely partition for the organisational and os re-install aspect.

geek_ross1970, Feb 7, 5:23 pm

+1
And the backup aspect. And the defrag aspect.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 7, 5:41 pm

I wouldn't, just going to cause problems down the track.

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 7, 5:48 pm

like what?

geek_ross1970, Feb 7, 5:48 pm

Why backup to the same drive, if your hdd is going to fail there goes your backup also. Yea it will back up if it gets corrupt or a virus infection but if you get a hard drive failure there is no point in backing up to the same drive IMHO.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 5:49 pm

Bollocks why?

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 5:50 pm

He wasn't implying backing up to the same drive.

geek_ross1970, Feb 7, 5:51 pm

Definantly split the drive.
Reasons include ....

Ease of choosing a spot to create a folder
Ease of FINDING that folder
Ease of rebuilding the o/s partition
Ease of data recovery ( downloaded data on seperate partition & NOT intertwined with the o/s)
Far less chance of the 2nd partition being infected via the o/s drive
O/s partitions collapse far more often then storage drives making it harder to salvage data (intertwined with o/s data if a single drive)
If the 1st partition ONLY has the o/s on it, that makes 30gb to 50gb less crap to sort through when doing a data salvage.
If the file system buggers up on the 1st drive (o/s drive) then you can simply FORMAT the o/s drive & start again without having to backup the storage drive.

BUT ... you should already have a backup data storage system away from the main PC drives anyway.

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 6:02 pm

Why not, as long as it's already backed up to dvd

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 6:03 pm

Like the system partition filling up meaning you'll have to start installing apps outside of the Program files structure or mess with partition sizes.

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 7, 6:07 pm

Well that would be from being silly enough to NOT allowing enough room in the 1st place ... AND ...OR .... installling HEAPS OF CRAP on the o/s drive instead of the storage drive.

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 6:09 pm

vtecintegra: That means either 1) you made the system partition much too small, or 2) you have keep that computer for far too long and are overdue for an upgrade.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 7, 6:10 pm

I honestly wouldn't bother. Get a seperate 160GB drive, something with a decent access speed (Seagate or Western Digital Black Series) or even a 10000RPM western digital raptor and stick the OS onto that.

Stick the pagefile (system managed size) onto the 500GB drive and install bigger applications to the 500GB drive path also. That keeps the C drive (OS) fairly clean and will help to make the system nice and snappy.

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 6:10 pm

Where does it state separate drives?

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:11 pm

oh for gods sake they didn't say they were an extreme gamer or similar did they ?...............performance ?.........a raptor ?.........overkill for the average user..............might as well splash out on an ssd ............

geek_drcspy, Feb 7, 6:13 pm

Not a problem if you select the right partition size to begin with, can always reszie later has a last resort or buy a bigger drive and clone it to that. OS and programs alone should not need a huge amount of space.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:13 pm

The problem with spliting up the o/s is for reinstalls because you generally can't tell the installer to split up to different drives untill it's BEEN installed

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 6:14 pm

Where does it state a single drive? Easier to backup ( FROM the partitioned drive ) when your data is separated out ( in it's own partition ) from your system files was the point.

geek_ross1970, Feb 7, 6:19 pm

Fresh install of XP sp3 / piles of assorted apps/ fully updated / been running everyday for 2 months so far (this install) still sitting on 5.5gb with 13gb's SPARE
Take the proportions (35% o-s / 65% spare room) apply to any new large hdd & if your are being halfway sensible then it should be fine for a few years.

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 6:19 pm

Gee sorry chaps,

In that case don't bother partioning anyway as you won't see any benefit as there is no need to worry about performance.

I just happen to like speed for every application, email, office, imaging, video. and general multitasking.

BTW, SSD's aren't that reliable.

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 6:20 pm

Because the topic is partitioning, since when do you partition 3 or 4 separte drives. Partitioning is per drive, has it simply splitting up "one drive".

Yes that is the point about been separate, but for backups separate drive or other media IMHO.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:23 pm

Pal he is not partitioning for performance.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:23 pm

So since you like speed so much does that mean you have a 10k computer for "speed". Bollocks about partition for reasons other than performance, make it far easier with media on a separate drive. If the OS screws up you just do that, rather trying to browse to my documents or whatever random place you put it even in the root of c drive. To find documents etc or mp3's. Makes re installing much easier IMHO

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:26 pm

To many JB /JD/ beers ... THAT confused even ME ;-)

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 6:31 pm

Getting excited aren't you!

$1800 PC, 4 x drives (1 x 80GB Raptor for OS, 1 x 250GB for Music and Apps, 1 x 250GB for Photos/Video and Apps and a 750GB for Backups).

Wintel Sys Engineer - 15yrs Exp

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 6:33 pm

edited, not that hard really but made it a bit easier.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:33 pm

Nope not excited just don't like bad advice, so system engineers have all there data on the same drive has an OS do they on servers eh. Hand me the tui, why do you think servers have OS and separate storage volumes for data. Why not apply the same principal to home, for the average user who plays on the net, facebook, chat, listens to mp3's 10,000rpm is pure over kill unless they do something else hardcore that needs it. But for mum and dad etc splitting the OS is the way to go.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:36 pm

Or you could just run as a single partition from the start and avoid the issue entirely...

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 7, 6:40 pm

Lol why, when you could plan heck 500gb and 1tb drives are cheap as chips now days. So no excuse for insufficient space lol. Then whats stopping you from filling a single drive with os and data ..........

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:43 pm

Nah, We use mirrored drives and raid sets for redundancy. If you stop getting over excited and read carefully you wil see that A) My data is kept on a seperate drive/s to the OS and B) I backup everything to both a local disk and then off to an external drive.
I certainly don't partition drives on my servers as you would run into issues later on.

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 6:47 pm

Nothing its just more simple and flexible.And simple is good.

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 7, 6:48 pm

To spell it out I meant raid raid for the home user DOH. Has for the server stuff doh thats pretty common sense, but a lot of gamers do run striped raid for performance then back up to a separate drive for speed.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:50 pm

Computers are never fully simple

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 6:51 pm

Fair comment. In reality though, gaming doesn't benefit from striped raid sets, video encoding and some rendering does along with some databases.Then there is redundancy requirements over speed. Your average 7200RPM HD streams up gaming requirements fine. Forgetting Raid, the thing with partioning is that the same spindles and heads on a single partioned drive can't match two seperate drives with data and OS seperated. I'm not hardcore, I'm practical and have a life and family too.

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 6:59 pm

Likewise about been practical, computers outdated way too fast to be able to afford and keep up with them. But have you seen benchmarks or raid 0, yes parity is a problem(ie if one drive dies so does the other). But gamers want performance.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 7:10 pm

Most ppl can't tell the difference between single hdd's & partitions

Oh ---- LOL, yea theres a lot more to add to that, aye

geek_mrfxit, Feb 7, 7:29 pm

do some reading you're way behind the times.....

geek_drcspy, Feb 7, 7:33 pm

You can compromise.Put the OS on one partition and mount the other partitions as key folders on the filesystem (such as My Documents and Program Files).
Then when a partition gets to full or you decide to get another drive (or add a RAID, move your OS partition to an SSD, etc.) you can copy the data across and re-correct your partition mount points transparently - Windows is none the wiser and thinks everything is on drive C.

geek_cybertao, Feb 7, 7:39 pm

Sure is, but thats a new story pal.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 7, 7:56 pm

just buy yourself 2x samsung f3 1Tb drives (7200 rpm 32Mb cache) they are fast enough for most apps. ($#!T loads better than most 5200rpm drives in that size)

geek_fordcrzy, Feb 7, 8:05 pm

Always partition a drive to separate OS and data partitions.

geek_biker_69, Feb 7, 8:21 pm

Use them in practical applications then quote what you've read. Don't worry, I'm well read but I've alsoseen the reality. If you've got enterprise grade $ though you'll get something reliable, it's the consumer grade SSD's I'm slagging off in general.

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 9:16 pm

Yep, easy to agree with that as another very good option.

geek_mellowdude, Feb 7, 9:20 pm