Adblock pro

I downloaded this prgramme but now want to delete it.Can't find it in my add/remove prgrammes, but it still keeps popping up with a dialogue block inviting me to register it.I want to remove it completely.Any suggestions, please?

geek_flus57, Feb 10, 7:25 pm

It's a Firefox extension not a program. TOOLS- ADDONS.

geek_biker_69, Feb 10, 7:52 pm

I don't remember ever having to register it but that could just be my poor memory.

Where did you get it?

geek_biker_69, Feb 10, 7:53 pm

The Firefox add-on is called Adblock Plus, not Pro.

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 10, 7:56 pm

Adblock Plus doesn't ask you to register it. Does it?!?

geek_badcam, Feb 10, 8:28 pm

I doubt it's anything like Adblock Plus, which like the others have said - is a reputable Firefox add on.I use it myself.

Adblock Pro, on the other hand (just having a wee look on Google)... looks a whole lot more like malware with lipstick on.You may need to run Malwarebytes (in safe mode) or something similar to clean it out.If it doesn't appear in your add/remove programs, and has popups... alarm bells should be ringing.

geek_peg228, Feb 10, 8:59 pm

Thanks for all your answers.It's definately Adblock Pro and a dialoguebox has been popping up asking for Yes/No register the product.I run Malwarebytes frequently with no effect.Peg, are you suggesting I run it again while the computer has been put into safe mode?

geek_flus57, Feb 11, 6:31 am

does this program show up in add/remove programs (xp) (controlpanel)......or 'programs and features' (win7) ?

or is it showing on your programs menu (startbutton/programs etc)......

geek_drcspy, Feb 11, 6:51 am

are you running

Interenet explorer
firefox
google chrome ?

geek_drcspy, Feb 11, 6:52 am

There are a couple of users on my computer.I am the administer and I run IE 8 , XP.Other users run Google Chrome.The program does not show up in Add/Remove, or the Start up or programs menu.A residual number appearred in the bar along the bottom of the screen and when you double click it, the dialogue box pops up.

geek_flus57, Feb 11, 6:57 am

geek_drcspy, Feb 11, 7:11 am

Thanks drcspy. However I can't download that prgramme properly either

geek_flus57, Feb 12, 7:08 am

If all else fails , use Revo uninstaller in hunter mode.
The download button (get the free version ) is near the bottom of the page.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

geek_pheonix, Feb 12, 10:38 am

If you can't download programs, it is highly likely that you computer is very compromised.
Try starting in 'Safe mode with Networking'. Then see if you can download programs (Use Firefox, Chrome or Opera to do that, if you have them).

geek_r.g.nixon, Feb 12, 11:47 am

Oh, yeah. D'oh!

Sounds like malware then as someone said.

geek_biker_69, Feb 12, 12:02 pm

Double Doh! The OP didn't know that. They were thinking it was a genuine FF addon.

geek_badcam, Feb 12, 12:11 pm

I have finally made progress with Adblock Pro.It is an add on, which I have now disabled.Thanks everyone for your sugestions.Look out for my next post when I will be asking about a conflict with the IP addresses on my wireless network.Just waiting for the message to pop up again so I get the wording right

geek_flus57, Feb 13, 5:52 pm

Now thats what I call helping us to help you. WTG!

geek_babcorp, Feb 13, 5:55 pm