Printer not printing text

smyrnia, Feb 18, 4:54am
Hi folks,
The troublemaker is an HP Officejet 5610 running under XP Pro SP3.
All ink cartridges are fine.

What it wont do:
It wont print any form of text file from Open Office, Notepad, Wordpad.
Either from within the application or when the file is saved as .txt, .rtf

What it will do:
Print any page from the web includeing text
Print graphics files

And to really confuse the situation, if you use Draw in Open Office and put a random shape on the page then put a text box on the page and add some text and go print..........
It'll print the shape and not the text !!!

When trying to print a .txt file the printer wakes up and passes a piece of paper through the machine but the print head doesn't move.

For oddball reasons of it's own it cant see text.

OK so whats your thoughts O Gurus. ????

I don't have the machine here so can't try your ideas straight away but have fiddled around with all my thoughts and the M$ troubleshooter etc for some time this arvo so will be able to answer your ideas.

I guess if all else fails will bring it home tomorrow and install it here and see if it still continues with it's aberant ways.
Over to you folks.....
and
Many Thanks for your ideas.:)

lilyfield, Feb 18, 4:58am
first things first- have you got the correct driver?

smyrnia, Feb 18, 5:04am
Yes printer has been installed from their install disk and works fine on any other file than text.
It also scanns properly etc.
Cheers.
Also multiple reboots etc

smyrnia, Feb 18, 5:07am
Should add also fine in Device Manager.

ettenyl, Feb 18, 5:10am
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02114788&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=441125
download their diagnostic tool and run it..then post the results

smyrnia, Feb 18, 5:20am
Thanks ettenyl,
Have dloaded and will run tomorrow.
As I said above I do not have the machine here.

Folks can I please repeate the last bit from above.
"And to really confuse the situation, if you use Draw in Open Office and put a random shape on the page then put a text box on the page and add some text and go print..........
It'll print the shape and not the text !!! "

Next thoughts thanks.

ettenyl, Feb 18, 5:27am
i'm unfamiliar with that printer, but, if there is a software program that you may have got with it, check the print properties of said utility, look for a setting that might point to "print graphics only" or similar

smyrnia, Feb 18, 5:33am
Hi ettenyl,
I let it setup it's own "multifunction" piece of software apart from that only drivers.
If you save a xyz.txt file to the desktop and right click / print it wont play.
This "sidesteaps" the HP softy.
Have had a nosey in the HP app and can't find anything odd.....
But something obviously is.
Cheers.

duran97, Feb 18, 5:54pm
Can you print text in different colours?If so, it will be a problem with the blank ink cartidge (which you might not see in pictures).

smyrnia, Feb 18, 6:27pm
Morning duran97,
It will not print text at all.
But if you draw a black,red,green and blue line it will print that.
(yes I know it's cmyk)
I assume you meant black ink cartridge ??
If you ask it to print a straight text document the print head doesn't even move it just pushes the paper through the machine.
But will try to get it to print some coloured text later on when I go and have another play with it.
Cheers.

drcspy, Feb 18, 6:55pm
according to pricespy that printers worth about $160.......so unless you're just tryin to 'beat' this weird situation for the interest and challenge of it (and i dont blame you it's very odd indeed) then throw the bloody thing away and get a new one.....problem solved

smyrnia, Feb 18, 7:30pm
Hi drcspy,
It's a mates and he has not alot of spare coin........like most of us these days !!
But yes I like the challenge, it's very rarely something IT gets the better of me.
Will try a reinstall of the software later on and if all else fails bring it home and install it here and see if it wants to play nice.
It still has its uses the scanner and fax work and it prints from the web OK.
Have a good one.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)