Connecting printer

thewomble1, Mar 1, 2:21pm
I have a wireless laptopand a main computer connect by cable to broadband and USB cable to the printer. I am trying to set up the laptop to print using the main computer. I know it is a silly question but do I need to load the printer drivers to the laptop as well as the main computer to get it up running. Any other help would be appreciated.

skin1235, Mar 1, 2:52pm
which model printer, an HP4000 will do it no problem at all, it has inbuilt systems to be able to buffer data direct from a network and understand that data then print it, some of the cheaper models rely on a computer to convert the data into printable form

skin1235, Mar 1, 2:54pm
what you have described is a method of connecting to the www, but does not say if the two computers are networked, can access one from the other etc
to network a printer you must have a network
having a network is quite different to being able to access the net

thewomble1, Mar 1, 2:55pm
EPSON R390. So what you said it looks like I need to install the driver on the laptop as well

skin1235, Mar 1, 3:07pm
only if the computer can see the printer ie can see the home network - the other computer and the printer
I suspect you have the wireless and hardwired setup purely for net access but if you can assure me that the two computers can access each other via the way you have it setup them chances are adding the printer setup could mean you can send direct to the printer and have it print the desired pages
can you confirm that the laptop can 'see' the printer, and the other computer
adding printer setups will not make anything happen if they cannot see each other

drcspy, Mar 1, 4:36pm
firstly 'share' the printer on the main computer by right cliking it and 'share'.......then on the laptop go in to controlpanel/printers/add new printer/add network printer...............if your laptop cant 'see' the printer they your network needs sorting out.Are both computers the same operating system ?

thewomble1, Mar 2, 12:45pm
It appears that the network needs looking at. Also I am running XP on the laptop and WINDOWS 7 on the main computer. Will have another try later today. Thanks for the help so far

skin1235, Mar 2, 3:07pm
only if the computer can see the printer ie can see the home network - the other computer and the printer
I suspect you have the wireless and hardwired setup purely for net access but if you can assure me that the two computers can access each other via the way you have it setup them chances are adding the printer setup could mean you can send direct to the printer and have it print the desired pages
can you confirm that the laptop can 'see' the printer, and the other computer
adding printer setups will not make anything happen if they cannot see each other

drcspy, Mar 2, 4:36pm
firstly 'share' the printer on the main computer by right cliking it and 'share'.then on the laptop go in to controlpanel/printers/add new printer/add network printer.if your laptop cant 'see' the printer they your network needs sorting out.Are both computers the same operating system !

drcspy, Mar 2, 6:19pm
on the main computer in network and sharing center you'll also have to clik on 'change advanced sharing settings'and wander through the options there .........

drcspy, Mar 3, 6:19pm
on the main computer in network and sharing center you'll also have to clik on 'change advanced sharing settings'and wander through the options there .

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)