Your Web Business - Things You Wished You Knew

mmmail, Mar 4, 6:33am
I'm starting up a web business - any advice from those who've walked this road before appreciated.What worked, what didn't - if you had your time over, what would you DO and NOT Do Again?

Thanks in Advance.

stardesta, Mar 4, 6:36am
1)I advice to get hosting in NZ.Its faster, a little more expensive but not a lot more.Yes overseas hosting is free and unlimited but in all honesty you don't need 100gb of disk space.

2) Learn google analytics, google adwords and search engine optimization (SEO)

3) make sure your web business works on all web browsers

Good luck!

badcam, Mar 4, 6:46am
Will you have another source of income while you're trying to establish the business? What proportion of cash have you set aside in comparison to your expected spend over, say, the first year? Have you prepared any kind of forecast? Sales of course, will be pie in the sky, but you should have a good bearing on costs.

ferita, Mar 4, 7:14am
If you are selling something you either have to be better then the competition (which is hard in a competitive market) or target a niche market that actually has money and can use a computer.

Google adwords are expensive and if you use them you may find that you are having to pay over 1 dollar per click just to get traffic. In someways this is not worth it unless you have a product that has a high profit margin. If you are on a budget with adwords then choose 2000 keywords (I think thats the max) and set your budget to 1c or so. This way you may still get some clicks and ads showing, it wont be as targeted but it will be cheap.

Have a low per purchase limit on your merchant account/credit card processor. If someone uses a stolen credit card to purchase from you or they dispute the transaction with the bank and do a charge back, you have to pay the full amount. Banks will ask you for proof the the customers signature when they made a purchase and as no one signs when they buy online the bank will say its your fault. For large orders insist that customers use western union or wire transfer.

One year I had over 30 thousand dollars in stolen credit card transactions made through my site. Most of them I thought where suspicious so I made sure I did not spend the money but some I didnt realise and was out of pocket 4 or 5 grand that year.

Do some research into your target market and advertise to them specifically.

Find sites that link to your competitors and see if they would be willing to swap links with you. In saying that, dont build a link farm of millions of links as google hate that and could bring your site lower in search results.

If you can get a good pagerank expiring domain then buy it. Older domains do better in google then newer ones.

mmmail, Mar 5, 6:33am
I'm starting up a web business - any advice from those who've walked this road before appreciated.What worked, what didn't - if you had your time over, what would you DO and NOT Do Again!

Thanks in Advance.

stardesta, Mar 5, 6:36am
1)I advice to get hosting in NZ.Its faster, a little more expensive but not a lot more.Yes overseas hosting is free and unlimited but in all honesty you don't need 100gb of disk space.

2) Learn google analytics, google adwords and search engine optimization (SEO)

3) make sure your web business works on all web browsers

Good luck!

badcam, Mar 5, 6:46am
Will you have another source of income while you're trying to establish the business! What proportion of cash have you set aside in comparison to your expected spend over, say, the first year! Have you prepared any kind of forecast! Sales of course, will be pie in the sky, but you should have a good bearing on costs.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)