Need new laptop - advice please?

Hi - have been running a HP Presario B1800 window XP pro for 6-7 years - been great - use it for emails, internet, word, excel and photos from digital camera and kids thrash it for DVD and facebook etc - it's been well used and travelled a lot (a bit heavy but solid even taken a few drops). Use wireless and T-stick and external mouse.BUT it has finally died - dead Hard drive. Local shop has recommended a Toshiba satellite pro, intel core2 duo T6570, 2.1ghz, 4GB, windows 7 approx $1100. Anyone used/had one? Any good? Will it be as easy to use as the old one (I know it will be light years faster)? Is toshiba any good?Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks

geek_cobs, Mar 9, 9:31 am

Surprised you got good use out of an HP they're regarded around here as a bit of a dodgy brand. I think Toshiba's OK but I'd personally go for a lenovo if you can.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 9, 10:03 am

Had no problems with our Toshiba satellite pro, Asus also worth a good look at.

geek_shinedog, Mar 9, 10:06 am

hahahaha lenovo .. there just as bad as an Acer.. We sold one to a client approx 6months ago, tried to talk them out of it but thats what they wanted.. Now the screen displays any black area as red, and also flickers at high frequency..

Toshiba is a good brand OP.

geek_kiwicon, Mar 9, 10:18 am

I disagree with your comments about Lenovo. Lenovo is IBM and IBM don't do cheap and nasty.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 9, 10:38 am

If I go for the Toshiba is there anything I should be asking for? It says core 2 duo but when I do a google search it seems that everything is a 3 - is that a problem?Am really a bit behind in this stuff - the old HP Compaq was just so reliable and did everything I needed (looks like I was lucky)!

geek_cobs, Mar 9, 10:53 am

If the Presario only has a dead hd and you're happy with it, why not just get another hd? Cheap and you'll have two laptops. Toshiba is good. Also IBM/Lenovo...have had 3 Thinkpads and they're sturdy little machines.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 9, 11:10 am

Thanks that seems a good idea - cheap fix the old one and get a new one?

geek_cobs, Mar 9, 12:41 pm

Actually they very much do these days.They do nice stuff as well but the low end is pretty horrible.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 9, 12:51 pm

Core 2 Duo is getting old, but if its an Core i3 then yes thats not a bad purchase. Believe it or not not every HP out there dies....

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Mar 9, 1:20 pm

Modified advice; get a lenovo thinkpad, not something from the low end. those thinkpads are tough as nails.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 9, 1:29 pm

harddrives are cheap but ......

then you'll either have to reinstall windows/drivers/programs/setti-
ngs yourself or pay someone to do it for you that's when costs go up

geek_drcspy, Mar 9, 1:40 pm

Thanks guys for your advice - very much appreciated.Looks like I will probably stick with the Toshiba - shop says they can get some data off the old HD and will load onto new one and do all the setups etc.Have got 17yr old son looking for new HD for old machine - can be a project for his computing mates!I won't use it but it's probably a cheap option for him! Thank you.

geek_cobs, Mar 9, 8:37 pm

cobs, I doubt very much the shop, be it hn, nl, dse, b&b or whoever, will be able to get data off a dead drive. A slow sick one maybe, but not dead. Good luck.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 9, 11:07 pm

Hi - have been running a HP Presario B1800 window XP pro for 6-7 years - been great - use it for emails, internet, word, excel and photos from digital camera and kids thrash it for DVD and facebook etc - it's been well used and travelled a lot (a bit heavy but solid even taken a few drops). Use wireless and T-stick and external mouse.BUT it has finally died - dead Hard drive. Local shop has recommended a Toshiba satellite pro, intel core2 duo T6570, 2.1ghz, 4GB, windows 7 approx $1100. Anyone used/had one! Any good! Will it be as easy to use as the old one (I know it will be light years faster)! Is toshiba any good!Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks

geek_cobs, Mar 10, 9:31 am

Surprised you got good use out of an HP they're regarded around here as a bit of a dodgy brand. I think Toshiba's OK but I'd personally go for a lenovo if you can. Just about anything you buy today is going to be lightyears faster than a 7-year-old laptop. Even a wee atom-based netbook is going to be faster.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 10, 10:03 am

I disagree with your comments about Lenovo. Lenovo is IBM and IBM don't do cheap and nasty.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 10, 10:38 am

If I go for the Toshiba is there anything I should be asking for! It says core 2 duo but when I do a google search it seems that everything is a 3 - is that a problem!Am really a bit behind in this stuff - the old HP Compaq was just so reliable and did everything I needed (looks like I was lucky)!

geek_cobs, Mar 10, 10:53 am

If the Presario only has a dead hd and you're happy with it, why not just get another hd! Cheap and you'll have two laptops. Toshiba is good. Also IBM/Lenovo.have had 3 Thinkpads and they're sturdy little machines.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 10, 11:10 am

Thanks that seems a good idea - cheap fix the old one and get a new one!

geek_cobs, Mar 10, 12:41 pm

Core 2 Duo is getting old, but if its an Core i3 then yes thats not a bad purchase. Believe it or not not every HP out there dies.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Mar 10, 1:20 pm

harddrives are cheap but .

then you'll either have to reinstall windows/drivers/programs/setti-
ngs yourself or pay someone to do it for you that's when costs go up

geek_drcspy, Mar 10, 1:40 pm

Thanks guys for your advice - very much appreciated.Looks like I will probably stick with the Toshiba - shop says they can get some data off the old HD and will load onto new one and do all the setups etc.Have got 17yr old son looking for new HD for old machine - can be a project for his computing mates!I won't use it but it's probably a cheap option for him! Thank you.

geek_cobs, Mar 10, 8:37 pm