What is the difference between 2G and 3G

Is it different companies?

geek_ayjay1, Mar 9, 11:20 pm

It's like the difference between dialup and ADSL, except for cellphones.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 9, 11:44 pm

You mean mobile networks?
Basically the difference is download/upload speeds.2G is where mobile went digital and speeds were slow around 14.4kbps+. This is used for calling and text.
2.5G was around 50kbps+, this was where people first started using their mobiles as modems for their laptops. 3G reached NZ in 2005 and at speeds of 384kbps brought video calling, music dowloads, SKY mobile tv and other stuff. We're currently on 3.5G, more commonly known as High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) with maximum download speeds of between 7.2Mbps and 42Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 5Mbps. This enables use of always on internet connections for smartphones, aGPS for navigation, as well as streaming and uploading of 720p high-definition video.

Next up is Long Term Evolution (LTE) with download speeds of up to 150Mbps. That uses the same frequencies currently used by analogue tv, hence the Govt pushing everyone into freeview/digital tv. Once the spectrum is freed up, Vodafone and Telecom can start transitioning to LTE.

geek_carkitter, Mar 9, 11:52 pm

A whole G.

geek_cybertao, Mar 10, 12:05 am

Thank you for taking the trouble to explain that to me. Cheers

geek_ayjay1, Mar 10, 6:38 am

carkitter's description is more accurate, but I think mine is easier to understand and probably good enough for most people ;-)

geek_little_egypt, Mar 10, 8:15 am

Yup, carkitter is way over the top as per usual.. Yours is much easier, his is ok for geeks but for people that do not know much all they need to know is the basics.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 10, 9:25 am

It seems to me that carkitter's explanation is clear and concise and really only contains the basics.

geek_gasaxe, Mar 10, 10:10 am

Good but a bit more then asked for or needed for the sake of being correct.
Possibly a little pedantic.

.All good tho ;-)

geek_mrfxit, Mar 10, 10:15 am

yup

geek_johnf_456, Mar 10, 11:02 am

Is it different companies!

geek_ayjay1, Mar 10, 11:20 pm

It's like the difference between dialup and ADSL, except for cellphones.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 10, 11:44 pm

You mean mobile networks!
Basically the difference is download/upload speeds.2G is where mobile went digital and speeds were slow around 14.4kbps+. This is used for calling and text.
2.5G was around 50kbps+, this was where people first started using their mobiles as modems for their laptops. 3G reached NZ in 2005 and at speeds of 384kbps brought video calling, music dowloads, SKY mobile tv and other stuff. We're currently on 3.5G, more commonly known as High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) with maximum download speeds of between 7.2Mbps and 42Mbps, and upload speeds of up to 5Mbps. This enables use of always on internet connections for smartphones, aGPS for navigation, as well as streaming and uploading of 720p high-definition video.

Next up is Long Term Evolution (LTE) with download speeds of up to 150Mbps. That uses the same frequencies currently used by analogue tv, hence the Govt pushing everyone into freeview/digital tv. Once the spectrum is freed up, Vodafone and Telecom can start transitioning to LTE.

geek_carkitter, Mar 10, 11:52 pm

carkitter's description is more accurate, but I think mine is easier to understand and probably good enough for most people ;-)

geek_little_egypt, Mar 11, 8:15 am

Yup, carkitter is way over the top as per usual. Yours is much easier, his is ok for geeks but for people that do not know much all they need to know is the basics.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 11, 9:25 am

It seems to me that carkitter's explanation is clear and concise and really only contains the basics.

geek_gasaxe, Mar 11, 10:10 am

I still think my explanation was the best.

geek_jcmp21, Mar 11, 8:46 pm

2G is too slow to do anything on really other than look at mobile optimized websites, vodafone never offered 2.5G, and telecom have recently turned off their old CDMA EVDO 3G network leaving CDMA as a slightly better than GSM but still 2G network. 2.5G is EDGE, which is in operation on 2degrees network, and is a hell of a lot better than basic GPRS 2G speeds, HSPA is being called 4G in the US by their stupid telcos, but its really 3.5 or 3.75G depending on who you ask. 4G will be LTE, but the problem with LTE is that at the moment its a data only network with no voice support, so there still has to be a 3G network to fallback onto till they get that standardized. It should be the migration path for both EVDO and HSPA networks, but I bet the yanks manage to screw it up somehow again.

geek_richms, Mar 11, 9:49 pm

What if i just want a phone that will receive messages anywhere in NZ, and i can txt on. and it also has a reasonable camera.I want something i can use in the mountains, and that is rugged, but has an excellent battery life.I don't give a fck about online interent browsing.

geek_peter148, Mar 12, 1:51 am

2G uses less power, but you can get a 3G phone and configure it to only use 2G if you want to save battery. I don't think there's any phone you can reliably use in the mountains except satellite.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 12, 6:53 am

They you want a 900MHz 3G phone on vodafone, most of vodafones range now have "extended" 3G support. Or, an Xt phone.

GSM has a hard limit of 35km from the tower because of timing, 3G can go much much furthur as it doesnt rely on precise timing of the transmission from the handset.

geek_richms, Mar 12, 3:02 pm

What if i just want a phone that will receive messages anywhere in NZ, and i can txt on. and it also has a reasonable camera.I want something i can use in the mountains, and that is rugged, but has an excellent battery life.I don't give a fck about online interent browsing.

geek_peter148, Mar 13, 1:51 am

2G uses less power, but you can get a 3G phone and configure it to only use 2G if you want to save battery. I don't think there's any phone you can reliably use in the mountains except satellite.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 13, 6:53 am