Homer wants advice

i have a desktop computer ,local disk is nearly full 14.6GB,computer repair man has put a storage ( E)in system capacity 279GB..am i able to move prorams to the E drive or would it be better to upgrade the c drive..originally i asked computer man to upgrade my computer and this is what he did,he has since vacated the country.

geek_bjmh, Mar 10, 3:15 pm

put your "files" into that drive, like movies, music, pictures etc..

what size is your orginal hard drive (C:\) if it is quite small, say 40GB or so then you could ghost your stuff from the smaller drive c:\ to your new bigger drive

geek_kiwicon, Mar 10, 3:28 pm

yepC drive is miniscule, are you able to tell me how to put stuff into E drive..simplyplease.

geek_bjmh, Mar 10, 3:33 pm

Read this. It's the easiest way to do it;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

geek_little_egypt, Mar 10, 3:37 pm

thanks for your help ..little egypt the link is the go ..cheers

geek_bjmh, Mar 10, 3:47 pm

yeh I dont think that'll really cover it

get a tech to

partition the big drive
ghost the old system onto the new partition.

it's EASY and shouldn't cost you more than about an hours labour.....

geek_drcspy, Mar 10, 3:49 pm

Up to the OP. My answer is simple and works and won't cost them anything but the time to read that page and follow the instructions.. ghosting to the new drive might not be so simple if for example the new drive is SATA and windows was originally installed to an IDE drive. Very common, and AFAIK requires a complete reinstall or something fairly close to it.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 10, 3:56 pm

i just followed little eygpt link instructions..worked a treat even for a D.O.H !!like me,have freed up heaps on C drive..thanks again

geek_bjmh, Mar 10, 4:36 pm

i have a desktop computer ,local disk is nearly full 14.6GB,computer repair man has put a storage ( E)in system capacity 279GB.am i able to move prorams to the E drive or would it be better to upgrade the c drive.originally i asked computer man to upgrade my computer and this is what he did,he has since vacated the country.

geek_bjmh, Mar 11, 3:15 pm

yepC drive is miniscule, are you able to tell me how to put stuff into E drive.simplyplease.

geek_bjmh, Mar 11, 3:33 pm

Read this. It's the easiest way to do it;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

geek_little_egypt, Mar 11, 3:37 pm

thanks for your help .little egypt the link is the go .cheers

geek_bjmh, Mar 11, 3:47 pm

yeh I dont think that'll really cover it

get a tech to

partition the big drive
ghost the old system onto the new partition.

it's EASY and shouldn't cost you more than about an hours labour.

geek_drcspy, Mar 11, 3:49 pm

Up to the OP. My answer is simple and works and won't cost them anything but the time to read that page and follow the instructions. ghosting to the new drive might not be so simple if for example the new drive is SATA and windows was originally installed to an IDE drive. Very common, and AFAIK requires a complete reinstall or something fairly close to it.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 11, 3:56 pm

i just followed little eygpt link instructions.worked a treat even for a D.O.H !like me,have freed up heaps on C drive.thanks again

geek_bjmh, Mar 11, 4:36 pm