Help, computer tech advice needed

I currently have a short term(one month) house guest staying.They have their own laptop and asked for the key to access wireless as they 'just wanted to check e-mails occassionally'.Well since they arrived a few days ago the useage has gone through the roof, and I have had a message from xtra saying I've almost reached my 5gb capacity.(normally it lasts a full month) but I'm only 8 days into the new month usage so I'm not very happy.

My 'guest'is home all day every day, so I suspect they are living on the net and my question is,can I cut them off(disconnect them)so I basically control when its working or not.

I initially told them I get 5gb a month and there replied reassured me that they wouldn't be a high user, but now I am finding out differently.

I have my main computer connected directly into the modem so it would matter if I shut down the whole wireless while they are here.I went into internet connections and thought I had disconnected it,but they definately still have access to it as my laptop (which also uses wireless) is still working.

Drat,,, please help a frustrated women resolve this problem.Thank you in advance.

geek_evie12, Mar 11, 7:19 pm

you have to log into the router and change the wireless password..........ring xtra it'll be easier......

geek_drcspy, Mar 11, 7:22 pm

ok,, have found where to do that and have changed the wireless key.(Hope it works.will go and check my laptop and see if its still running)Hope its not.: - )

geek_evie12, Mar 11, 7:25 pm

With 5Gig a month. It is not ideal to be networking computers on that data plan. That guest is not using the net to check his emails. He may be downloading stuff...

geek_spielfeuer, Mar 11, 7:30 pm

Or watching Utube all day long
Some ppl think thatbecause they don't hit the "download" button, that it doesn't count towards the cap.
They think viewing video's is simply that! ... they have no concept of how the video's get to the monitor.

geek_mrfxit, Mar 11, 7:57 pm

drat,its still connected.I changed the wireless key so don't understand why the wireless system is still working. (I checked my own wireless laptop)and its all still operating normally.

geek_evie12, Mar 11, 8:16 pm

can you not talk to the person?

geek_jsbike, Mar 11, 8:25 pm

Are you sure you changed the wifi password and not the password used to log into the router?

How tech-savvy is this person?

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 11, 8:26 pm

after you change settings on many routers you need to save and reboot for the settings to take effect.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 11, 8:39 pm

5GB per month is a bit low these days.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 11, 9:23 pm

get the guest to pay for you to change to a higher usage plan

geek_bazilbrush, Mar 11, 11:00 pm

cant believe the stuff that pops up in forums, your human speak to the person tell him what you told us. Job done hes a guest my way or the highway

geek_repairs_hlv_420, Mar 11, 11:10 pm

5Gb is considered insignificant by some (many) people nowadays.I have had this situation and talked about with my boarder and she coughed up $10 or $20 dollars.That is all it is worth so do not get yourself wound up over what is really an insignificant amount.Just talk to them about it, and i hope they understand your situation and front up with the extra cash.But it is really not worth getting all worried about at this time.

geek_peter148, Mar 12, 1:37 am

Depends what plan you're on. WLUG ran into this problem last year, with some inflexible providers (xtra) you can't just buy whatever allowance you need, you have to put up with dialup speeds and upgrade your plan at the end of the month.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 12, 7:10 am

I currently have a short term(one month) house guest staying.They have their own laptop and asked for the key to access wireless as they 'just wanted to check e-mails occassionally'.Well since they arrived a few days ago the useage has gone through the roof, and I have had a message from xtra saying I've almost reached my 5gb capacity.(normally it lasts a full month) but I'm only 8 days into the new month usage so I'm not very happy.

My 'guest'is home all day every day, so I suspect they are living on the net and my question is,can I cut them off(disconnect them)so I basically control when its working or not.

I initially told them I get 5gb a month and there replied reassured me that they wouldn't be a high user, but now I am finding out differently.

I have my main computer connected directly into the modem so it would matter if I shut down the whole wireless while they are here.I went into internet connections and thought I had disconnected it,but they definately still have access to it as my laptop (which also uses wireless) is still working.

Drat,,, please help a frustrated women resolve this problem.Thank you in advance.

geek_evie12, Mar 12, 7:19 pm

you have to log into the router and change the wireless password.ring xtra it'll be easier.

geek_drcspy, Mar 12, 7:22 pm

With 5Gig a month. It is not ideal to be networking computers on that data plan. That guest is not using the net to check his emails. He may be downloading stuff.

geek_spielfeuer, Mar 12, 7:30 pm

Or watching Utube all day long
Some ppl think thatbecause they don't hit the "download" button, that it doesn't count towards the cap.
They think viewing video's is simply that! . they have no concept of how the video's get to the monitor.

geek_mrfxit, Mar 12, 7:57 pm

drat,its still connected.I changed the wireless key so don't understand why the wireless system is still working. (I checked my own wireless laptop)and its all still operating normally.

geek_evie12, Mar 12, 8:16 pm

can you not talk to the person!

geek_jsbike, Mar 12, 8:25 pm

Are you sure you changed the wifi password and not the password used to log into the router!

How tech-savvy is this person!

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 12, 8:26 pm

If they are your guests why don't you speakup and explain.They might help you pay for some and every body is happy

geek_shane.64, Mar 12, 10:03 pm

Depends what plan you're on. WLUG ran into this problem last year, with some inflexible providers (xtra) you can't just buy whatever allowance you need, you have to put up with dialup speeds and upgrade your plan at the end of the month.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 13, 7:10 am

If they are your guests why don't you speakup and explain.They might help you pay for some and every body is happy

geek_shane.64, Mar 13, 10:03 pm