Is there a good printer with cheap ink?? Page 1 / 3

jenniebee, Mar 11, 9:11pm
I'm so sick of sh*t printers with rip off ink companies selling me ink that costs more than the $&*! damn printer!! Then I buy "compatible ink" for cheap off Trade Me which my printer wont recognise because it's not the original brand. AAAHHHHHh I'm soooo sick of paying through the nose for ink and getting poor quality prints! IS THERE A PRINTER IN EXISTENCE THAT'S GOOD QUALITY WITH CHEAP INK OR AT LEAST HAS SELF-REFILLABLE CARTRIDGES?????

flick13, Mar 11, 9:16pm
How much do you print?
Colour or Black and white?

You may want to look at a Laserjet rather than inkjet if you print a fair bit.

drcspy, Mar 11, 9:38pm
I have a brother dcp-165c this model has been superseeded by later ones but they're quite similar...........I refill my carts myself it takes a couple of mins to do a cart (I found out how to do it online it's very easy) I currently am filling it with MELCO CISS ink (continuous ink supply system) which was given to me ......(.it comes in 100ml bottles and if you have to buy it costs bugger all ($12.95c per 100ml bottle)...........the ink i'm using is for an epson printer........(I could buy 'canon' ink but I got given this ink so i'm using it) the printer works perfectly.........I reckon that the set of four bottles I have will last a couple of years..........DONT buy a CISS 'system'......they dont work well ......jsut buy the ink and refill your own it's ridiculously cheap

drsr, Mar 11, 11:04pm
I'm currently using a Canon IP4700 with a $26 ink refill kit from Dealextreme. Sadly Dealextreme don't sell the refill kits any more but you can get them from eBay. Print quality is fine, I did before and after prints using the original and refill ink and can't tell them apart. I've ordered a chip resetter as otherwise you have to manually monitor the ink levels which is a pain.

This is what's involved in refilling the cartridges (steps vary for other models): http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=1830&t=refill_canon_pixma_cli_8_und_pgi_5_cartridges

The CISS systems have so much more to go wrong that it doesn't seem worth it unless you are going through a cartridge every day or so. At least if you are refilling you can only end up with one cartridge load of ink inside the printer.

drcspy, Mar 11, 11:09pm
i ALREADY told them not to bother with ciss systems they're crap.......but I did suggest they buy their refill ink from them as it's VERY cheap.........

drsr, Mar 11, 11:21pm
Yes I was agreeing with you.

twaymouth, Mar 12, 1:31am
If you are just after black and white printing then go for a laser printer, I have a second hand laser-jet 5000, toner cartridges are only $130 and you get 10,000 pages out of one before it needs replacing.

lythande1, Mar 12, 1:32am
You need to look at how many pages they do per cartridge before you buy.

Officejet 6000 for instance - 1200 pages from black. cartridge cost ($49.99 Incl. GST)
Most printers do 200 - 400 pages.

gibler, Mar 12, 3:56am
I got given a laser printer and a spare toner for free. Still haven't needed to touch the spare toner. For colour (i.e. photos) use an online service.

jenniebee, Mar 12, 5:33am
I know that from experience!!! I have a CISS sitting on my desk now ready to send back. It didn't work, the tubing jammed, and the printer didn't recognise the cartridges. Melcos response to this....... they sent me a video on how to hack up the inside of my printer with a hot knife.... yes a HOT KNIFE... and cut out chunks of plastic to make it fit. Then expect me to download illegal software to use to hack into the microchips on the printer to trick it into accepting their product. Bloody criminals!!!

maverick88, Mar 12, 5:34am
Printer companies need to make a dollar some how :P

jenniebee, Mar 12, 5:36am
So I print up to 100 pages a week and do use a fair bit of colour as well- I seem to use the colour up as fast as the black ink. With 50-100 pages a week would you recommend an injet or lazer printer?

drcspy, Mar 12, 5:40am
laser will be much cheaper to run

very_hotpants, Mar 12, 7:33am
I have a cheap brother printer - epson do cheap ones as well an use cheap in from Inkshop or similar and when printing I change the printing prefernces to Fast and greyscale for not so important documents and normal fast for letters being sent. I only print in colour if I have to. This all saves a lot of ink.

jenniebee, Mar 12, 9:11pm
I'm so sick of sh*t printers with rip off ink companies selling me ink that costs more than the $&*! damn printer! Then I buy "compatible ink" for cheap off Trade Me which my printer wont recognise because it's not the original brand. AAAHHHHHh I'm soooo sick of paying through the nose for ink and getting poor quality prints! IS THERE A PRINTER IN EXISTENCE THAT'S GOOD QUALITY WITH CHEAP INK OR AT LEAST HAS SELF-REFILLABLE CARTRIDGES!

flick13, Mar 12, 9:16pm
How much do you print!
Colour or Black and white!

You may want to look at a Laserjet rather than inkjet if you print a fair bit.

drcspy, Mar 12, 9:38pm
I have a brother dcp-165c this model has been superseeded by later ones but they're quite similar.I refill my carts myself it takes a couple of mins to do a cart (I found out how to do it online it's very easy) I currently am filling it with MELCO CISS ink (continuous ink supply system) which was given to me .(.it comes in 100ml bottles and if you have to buy it costs bugger all ($12.95c per 100ml bottle).the ink i'm using is for an epson printer.(I could buy 'canon' ink but I got given this ink so i'm using it) the printer works perfectly.I reckon that the set of four bottles I have will last a couple of years.DONT buy a CISS 'system'.they dont work well .jsut buy the ink and refill your own it's ridiculously cheap

drsr, Mar 12, 11:04pm
I'm currently using a Canon IP4700 with a $26 ink refill kit from Dealextreme. Sadly Dealextreme don't sell the refill kits any more but you can get them from eBay. Print quality is fine, I did before and after prints using the original and refill ink and can't tell them apart. I've ordered a chip resetter as otherwise you have to manually monitor the ink levels which is a pain.

This is what's involved in refilling the cartridges (steps vary for other models): http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php!ID=1830&t=refill_canon_pixma_cli_8_und_pgi_5_cartridges

The CISS systems have so much more to go wrong that it doesn't seem worth it unless you are going through a cartridge every day or so. At least if you are refilling you can only end up with one cartridge load of ink inside the printer.

drcspy, Mar 12, 11:09pm
i ALREADY told them not to bother with ciss systems they're crap.but I did suggest they buy their refill ink from them as it's VERY cheap.

juliew3, Mar 13, 1:28am
Use a laser for the b/w pages. Even a colour laser maybe the way to go.

richms, Mar 13, 3:18am
Illegal software? What was that exactly?

lythande1, Mar 13, 3:36am
It doesn't make any difference. Lasers are the same - some od a lot of pages per toner, most don't. Look up how many pages per toner (or cartridge), look at the price of the consumables and work it out.

deus701, Mar 13, 3:54am
buy both...inkjet for colour, laser for b&w

gibler, Mar 13, 3:56am
I got given a laser printer and a spare toner for free. Still haven't needed to touch the spare toner. For colour (i.e. photos) use an online service.

mattnzw, Mar 13, 3:58am
No they are not. You can get usually 1000's of pages out of a laser cartridge, as long as you have purchased a good one.You can get the laser ones refilled at a fraction of the price, and the refills work as well as the orginal, unlike many of the inkjet refills I have tried.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)