Acer Aspire 5310 With Suspect Keyboard ?

Hi,

I have a friends Acer Aspire 5310 laptop here, running Windows Vista Home Basic. I got given it being told it needed a good tidy up. On starting it, it starts beeping like crazy, getting just past the BIOS screen then rebooting. I've been able to get it into safe mode, but on clicking the start button it goes away straight, leading me to think that the keyboard could be faulty? When I go into the BIOS setup, if it will let me in at all, as soon as I use an arrow key, it goes straight back, like someone is holding down a key.

Any ideas? Many thanks :)

geek_poua, Mar 12, 12:16 pm

plug in an external keyboard

geek_drcspy, Mar 12, 12:23 pm

Will that disable the built in keyboard ?

geek_poua, Mar 12, 12:30 pm

maybe reset the bios to default settings if you can get in

geek_bazilbrush, Mar 12, 12:54 pm

or reformat it by pressing alt F10 on start up, this will bring the laptop back to new, but of course you will lose any documents etc

geek_bazilbrush, Mar 12, 12:57 pm

Have the same model laptop.Replacement keyboard easily found on here,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Other/auction-360137031.htm Relatively easy to dismantle laptop & install keyboard. Use the Aspire 5310-5710-5710G Service Manual to help guide dismantle. (direct download)http://tinyurl.com/496lglv
If its not the keyboard, then maybe it the touchpad?

geek_mikebumz, Mar 12, 1:12 pm

I had exactly the same thing happen with an old TM220.

I'd disassemble and disconnect the internal keyboard - if that solves the problem consider ordering a new one.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 12, 1:19 pm

FYI - the Aspire 5310, is a value series lappy, ships with celeron processor, its possible to upgrade to Core-2-Duo, Socket M, 533 & 667 FSB.
The T7600, 667-fsb, 4mb cache (rare & expensive) is the max cpu Socket M goes.
The T5200 & T5300 at 533-fsb are good options, also the T5500 & T5600 at 667-fsb are excellent options.

geek_mikebumz, Mar 12, 1:20 pm

I have the T7400, scored cheap off here, its overkill for this lappy but functions great.

geek_mikebumz, Mar 12, 1:25 pm

should automatically

geek_drcspy, Mar 12, 1:29 pm

i have the same os and same problem - i'm using the on-screen keyboard. when pc boots onto log in page,vista gives you the option on lefthand of screen

geek_whaea_raranga, Mar 12, 1:40 pm

same os, same machine ?

geek_drcspy, Mar 12, 1:41 pm

same os. mines a compaq presario cq61

geek_whaea_raranga, Mar 12, 2:13 pm

I doubt it, usually both the internal and external are active by default

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 12, 2:18 pm

Hi,

I have a friends Acer Aspire 5310 laptop here, running Windows Vista Home Basic. I got given it being told it needed a good tidy up. On starting it, it starts beeping like crazy, getting just past the BIOS screen then rebooting. I've been able to get it into safe mode, but on clicking the start button it goes away straight, leading me to think that the keyboard could be faulty! When I go into the BIOS setup, if it will let me in at all, as soon as I use an arrow key, it goes straight back, like someone is holding down a key.

Any ideas! Many thanks :)

geek_poua, Mar 13, 12:16 pm

Will that disable the built in keyboard !

geek_poua, Mar 13, 12:30 pm

I had exactly the same thing happen with an old TM220.

I'd disassemble and disconnect the internal keyboard - if that solves the problem consider ordering a new one.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 13, 1:19 pm

i have the same os and same problem - i'm using the on-screen keyboard. when pc boots onto log in page,vista gives you the option on lefthand of screen

geek_whaea_raranga, Mar 13, 1:40 pm

same os, same machine !

geek_drcspy, Mar 13, 1:41 pm

Is your F1 key stuck?

geek_guest, Aug 1, 10:11 am

i want my old vista home basia . plss tell me how to i get it . and how to i down load my old vista basia

geek_guest, Jul 3, 5:28 am