Adobe Reader not running when I open a PDF

I get an error message which says that file MAPI32.dll can't be found. It suggests reloading Adobe. I uninstall it and download it again - still the same error. I went to the Adobe help site which says it is caused by CorelDraw 7 overwriting that file. Not true in my case - I don't have Corel Draw. What to do?

geek_welshdude, Mar 13, 3:30 pm

Install Sumatra PDF reader. Small, free, not a known security risk (unlike Adobe Reader).

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 13, 3:42 pm

Thanks.

geek_welshdude, Mar 13, 4:09 pm

acrobat reader is a bloated pig

geek_drcspy, Mar 13, 4:17 pm

"acrobloat reader" -- because it just is.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 13, 5:25 pm

Strange - I've used it for years with no problems and now it's ridiculous!

geek_welshdude, Mar 13, 7:15 pm

Adobe PDF reader is a known security risk for any Windows PC. Chrome browser has a built in PDF reader which is sandboxed just like the browser and can be set as the default for opening PDF files.

geek_carkitter, Mar 13, 7:19 pm

Chrome is not just the only browser that can view pdf without a separate app.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 13, 7:31 pm

So...
Where's the rest of your statement? The part that mentions the other browsers you're referring too. Or would that be too helpful?

geek_carkitter, Mar 13, 7:53 pm

No need because other browser do it without the need for a specific separate app like adobe reader. Google a thing called add ons plus the browser you want to use and you will find its not chrome being the only broswer that can. The built in chrome one lacks some features also, truth hurt much. I.e is not just chrome that can read pdf inside the browser to spell it out.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 13, 8:12 pm

So will IE open PDF's without Adobe? How do I specify for something other than Adobe to open a PDF?

geek_welshdude, Mar 13, 11:30 pm

I get an error message which says that file MAPI32.dll can't be found. It suggests reloading Adobe. I uninstall it and download it again - still the same error. I went to the Adobe help site which says it is caused by CorelDraw 7 overwriting that file. Not true in my case - I don't have Corel Draw. What to do!

geek_welshdude, Mar 14, 3:30 pm

Haha you sound like a fool. Why would anyone be 'hurt' by your 'truth' that the built-in Chrome pdf reading 'lacks some features'? Nobody said it was the only browser, just used as an example.

geek_nicky21, Mar 14, 3:49 pm

Google "PDF reader plug-in" and look up any that don't feature the word "Adobe".This one is definitely worth trying: http://www.pdfdownload.org/add_on.html

geek_wombatunder, Mar 14, 4:04 pm

1. Uninstall the Adobe Reader plug-in
2. Install a better PDF plug-in
That's all.

geek_wombatunder, Mar 14, 4:05 pm

Strange - I've used it for years with no problems and now it's ridiculous!

geek_welshdude, Mar 14, 7:15 pm

So.
Where's the rest of your statement! The part that mentions the other browsers you're referring too. Or would that be too helpful!

geek_carkitter, Mar 14, 7:53 pm

No need because other browser do it without the need for a specific separate app like adobe reader. Google a thing called add ons plus the browser you want to use and you will find its not chrome being the only broswer that can. The built in chrome one lacks some features also, truth hurt much. I.e is not just chrome that can read pdf inside the browser to spell it out.

Just letting others know so they know basically they don't need strictly adobe for pdf's.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 14, 8:12 pm

So will IE open PDF's without Adobe! How do I specify for something other than Adobe to open a PDF!

geek_welshdude, Mar 14, 11:30 pm

Haha you sound like a fool. Why would anyone be 'hurt' by your 'truth' that the built-in Chrome pdf reading 'lacks some features'! Nobody said it was the only browser, just used as an example.

geek_nicky21, Mar 15, 3:49 pm

Google "PDF reader plug-in" and look up any that don't feature the word "Adobe".This one is definitely worth trying: http://www.pdfdownload.org/add_on.html

geek_wombatunder, Mar 15, 4:04 pm

1. Uninstall the Adobe Reader plug-in
2. Install a better PDF plug-in
That's all.

geek_wombatunder, Mar 15, 4:05 pm

Off the top of my head - open the folder containing the .pdf file, right click the .pdf file, click properties, on one of the tabs will be a option to select a program to open the file. If IE or Chrome is not listed, browse to find it. Test IE to see if it works, I know Chrome does. Are you running the RTM version of IE 9 yet?
www.beautyoftheweb.com

geek_carkitter, Mar 17, 1:04 am

Whats wrong with adding to it, so people see it from a another point of view?

geek_johnf_456, Mar 17, 8:30 am

Ie9 is out of rtm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer

The final version of Internet Explorer 9 was publicly released on March 14, 2011 during the South by Southwest (SXSW) music and film festival in Austin, Texas.[56]

Bit slow on it eh Lol

geek_johnf_456, Mar 17, 8:33 am

welshdude, ffs don't be so timid. Listen to these peeps advice. They know about what they speak lol. Take the plunge and also check here for more options: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/addons.php

geek_hakatere1, Mar 17, 10:37 am

Also, IE is not the best browser. Try Chrome, Opera, or FF.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 17, 10:38 am

You seem to have an amazing ability to introduce red herrings into what would be an otherwise straightforward solution.I'm really curious as to why you do that...if you can't help, don't hinder!

geek_wombatunder, Mar 17, 11:28 am

I do help by giving other solutions, IT never has one answer to a problem.

geek_johnf_456, Mar 17, 11:34 am

I use PDF-XChange Viewer from www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
I've had no problems with it at all. Features a firefox plug in.
Highly recommended.

geek_wpmoore, Mar 17, 1:15 pm

Sweet.

geek_pcfix4u, Mar 17, 1:26 pm

Ah, I meant the release candidate (RC) not the RTM.
Not I'm not slow on it, I read about it's release on Tuesday and downloaded it that night. My preference is still for Chrome but I won't be criticising IE so much these days as things have changed significantly.

geek_carkitter, Mar 17, 7:24 pm

Off the top of my head - open the folder containing the .pdf file, right click the .pdf file, click properties, on one of the tabs will be a option to select a program to open the file. If IE or Chrome is not listed, browse to find it. Test IE to see if it works, I know Chrome does. Are you running the RTM version of IE 9 yet!
www.beautyoftheweb.com

geek_carkitter, Mar 18, 1:04 am

Whats wrong with adding to it, so people see it from a another point of view!

geek_johnf_456, Mar 18, 8:30 am

welshdude, ffs don't be so timid. Listen to these peeps advice. They know about what they speak lol. Take the plunge and also check here for more options: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/addons.php

geek_hakatere1, Mar 18, 10:37 am

You seem to have an amazing ability to introduce red herrings into what would be an otherwise straightforward solution.I'm really curious as to why you do that.if you can't help, don't hinder!

geek_wombatunder, Mar 18, 11:28 am

I use PDF-XChange Viewer from www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
I've had no problems with it at all. Features a firefox plug in.
Highly recommended.

geek_wpmoore, Mar 18, 1:15 pm

Ah, I meant the release candidate (RC) not the RTM.
Not I'm not slow on it, I read about it's release on Tuesday and downloaded it that night. My preference is still for Chrome but I won't be criticising IE so much these days as things have changed significantly.

geek_carkitter, Mar 18, 7:24 pm