3.5mm to bluetooth adapter/receiver

Anyone out there have any experience with these? I'm looking to get a headset working with a cordless home phone. I know there are heinously expensive bluetooth cordless phones out there, but I was hoping I'd be able to get away with a cheaper one that takes a corded headset (eg Uniden 6015) and add an adapter to pair my bluetooth headset to.

I haven't seen anything in NZ, but on Amazon etc I see a few listings....but the descriptions never quite conclusively spell out that they allow a headset. Mostly they seem targeted at pairing headphones to a stereo.
Anyone have any more info?

geek_smac, Mar 15, 1:17 pm

For a cordless phone, you'd need a 2.5 to bluetooth. Ain't never seen one of those and I don't think the 3.5 will work as the ones I have seen are just transmitters and won't have the output for the microphone.

geek_stevel_knievel, Mar 15, 1:44 pm

Well 2.5mm to 3.5mm is no problem, as that can be an adapter. But yeah the microphone seems to be the catch...

geek_smac, Mar 15, 2:00 pm

If it is a 2.5mm socket accepting a 2.5 stereo plug (3 rings) then you will probably find the plug has one ring for the headset speaker signal, one ring for the headset microphone signal and the top most ring is probably a common ground.

It wouldn't be too difficult to make up an adapter to split the 2.5mm stereo plug into two 3.5mm mono plugs.You would then need to get a transmitter/receiver with both a microphone socket and a headphone socket.

geek_d.laidlaw, Mar 15, 2:12 pm

That's the bit I'm asking for help with. The adapting 2.5mm to 3.5mm and all combinations thereof I'm ok with.

geek_smac, Mar 15, 2:48 pm

jabra did a base station to use a bluetooth headset with a landline phone, it was a 4 pin RJ something plug (the handset sized one) - a friend picked one up a while back off ebay and it worked ok for something that used bluetooth.

geek_richms, Mar 15, 11:30 pm

Ok thanks, will keep looking...

geek_smac, Mar 16, 9:37 am

Anyone out there have any experience with these! I'm looking to get a headset working with a cordless home phone. I know there are heinously expensive bluetooth cordless phones out there, but I was hoping I'd be able to get away with a cheaper one that takes a corded headset (eg Uniden 6015) and add an adapter to pair my bluetooth headset to.

I haven't seen anything in NZ, but on Amazon etc I see a few listings.but the descriptions never quite conclusively spell out that they allow a headset. Mostly they seem targeted at pairing headphones to a stereo.
Anyone have any more info!

geek_smac, Mar 16, 1:17 pm

For a cordless phone, you'd need a 2.5 to bluetooth. Ain't never seen one of those and I don't think the 3.5 will work as the ones I have seen are just transmitters and won't have the output for the microphone.

geek_stevel_knievel, Mar 16, 1:44 pm

Well 2.5mm to 3.5mm is no problem, as that can be an adapter. But yeah the microphone seems to be the catch.

geek_smac, Mar 16, 2:00 pm

If it is a 2.5mm socket accepting a 2.5 stereo plug (3 rings) then you will probably find the plug has one ring for the headset speaker signal, one ring for the headset microphone signal and the top most ring is probably a common ground.

It wouldn't be too difficult to make up an adapter to split the 2.5mm stereo plug into two 3.5mm mono plugs.You would then need to get a transmitter/receiver with both a microphone socket and a headphone socket.

geek_d.laidlaw, Mar 16, 2:12 pm

That's the bit I'm asking for help with. The adapting 2.5mm to 3.5mm and all combinations thereof I'm ok with.

geek_smac, Mar 16, 2:48 pm

Got it - Jabra A210s (or A210). Unfortunately not in NZ as far as I can see. Might go through Amazon.

geek_smac, Mar 16, 8:58 pm

Ok thanks, will keep looking.

geek_smac, Mar 17, 9:37 am

Got it - Jabra A210. Unfortunately not in NZ as far as I can see. Or anywhere.

geek_smac, Mar 17, 8:58 pm