Setup website but can only access via proxy?

Yesterday I transferred a domain name to different provided, I also edited the DNS settings and MX settings.Mail is running fine.Problem is when I enter the URL into my address bar the site won't load.However if I run it through a proxy the site loads fine, everything says the site is up and the proxy shows this.But if I still can't get it to load at home, I've tried 3 computers so can't be a cache thing, different browsers and I've reset the router.Any ideas?

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 2:39 pm

what addy ?

geek_drcspy, Mar 16, 2:39 pm

www.mjstark2003.co.nz

PS: just a basic site for a friend ;)

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 2:41 pm

Your servers could still be changing.

geek_jancemord, Mar 16, 2:44 pm

nice......workes for me google chrome..........IE8 ...........FF

geek_drcspy, Mar 16, 2:44 pm

Hmm ok I guess my servers are slooow then.Thanks drcspy for checking anyhow, I guess I'm better to just wait and see before I change anything.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 2:51 pm

Try using a different DNS

Googles public DNSs are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 16, 2:53 pm

Cheers vtec, it worked.Much better than surfing through a proxy.Thanks

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 3:01 pm

ah I forgot I use those in the system...........

geek_drcspy, Mar 16, 3:05 pm

It loads for me, but quite slow loading. Where are you hosting it, I presume not on NZ servers.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 16, 3:05 pm

instant load for me

geek_drcspy, Mar 16, 3:12 pm

It's free website hosting so I don't really mind.Just a basic website for him.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 3:22 pm

Looks like a business website to me, offering furniture restoration, so I presume it's purpose is for advertising and providing information. Loading speed may not be an issue with such a small website, but with free hosting it can also be unreliable. It could cost them business if someone visiting it can't access it, all for the sake of a few bucks a month in hosting fees.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 16, 3:58 pm

Try clearing your browsers cache, sometimes the browser uses the previously viewed version and still displays the old version

geek_damnelectirc, Mar 16, 4:25 pm

Or do a hard refresh of the site by holding Ctrl + F5.

Anyway, the site doesn't load for me. Might just be because my ISP's DNS server (Xnet) hasn't been updated with the sites records yet.

geek_lostdude, Mar 16, 4:32 pm

The problem is the ttl on your A records won't have timed out yet.

Some providers also cache this information for 24 hours even if you set a short ttl in your zone file.

D

geek_dongould, Mar 16, 4:38 pm

Your email is fine because you're using google and I suspect you might have been doing that before you changed the web host, in which case the dns entry change would have no impact because they both point in the same direction.

Does this all make sense?

geek_dongould, Mar 16, 4:40 pm

@lostdude I'm also with xnet so it looks like they haven't updated it yet.It works when I changed to google public DNS.

@don I changed the MX records yesterday, it did take google about 2 hours to see the changes though.I'm not 100% up with the play on this stuff I only tinkle with DNS every now and then, but pretty sure it's all good now.I think the problem was simply xnet hasn't updated yet.

I'll remove the google dns settings tomorrow and check if it loads.Cheers.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 4:50 pm

I can't tell what your old ttls where.Can you tell me what the xnet dns servers are?Then I can tell you what the ttls are currently sitting at.

geek_dongould, Mar 16, 4:52 pm

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 4:57 pm

4.2 is up to date but 6.2 still has the old record in it...

[root@bowen ~]# dig www.mjstark2003.co.nz @58.28.6.2 ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.mjstark2003.co.nz @58.28.6.2 ;; global options:printcmd ;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 11229
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 7, ADDITIONAL: 12

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.mjstark2003.co.nz.INA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.mjstark2003.co.nz.12265INA202.27.76.67

As you can see the TTL is 12265 seconds.

You should have updated the TTL to 300 before you moved it and let the old TTLs time out.

geek_dongould, Mar 16, 5:02 pm

He was with xtra so just had the domain and email account, no web hosting.I don't 100% understand the time to live stuff.So how do get it to update quicker or I have to wait now, not that it's a big issue as he hasn't had a website for years so a bit longer won't hurt.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 16, 5:09 pm

You can't update it faster.You just have to wait for it to time out.The TTL counts down.So it was 12265 when I checked it, but it won't be that now.

It's about 3.5 hours.So you should be sweet by 10pm.

D

geek_dongould, Mar 16, 5:19 pm

Yesterday I transferred a domain name to different provided, I also edited the DNS settings and MX settings.Mail is running fine.Problem is when I enter the URL into my address bar the site won't load.However if I run it through a proxy the site loads fine, everything says the site is up and the proxy shows this.But if I still can't get it to load at home, I've tried 3 computers so can't be a cache thing, different browsers and I've reset the router.Any ideas!

geek_greattrade4, Mar 17, 2:39 pm

what addy !

geek_drcspy, Mar 17, 2:39 pm

nice.workes for me google chrome.IE8 .FF

geek_drcspy, Mar 17, 2:44 pm

Hmm ok I guess my servers are slooow then.Thanks drcspy for checking anyhow, I guess I'm better to just wait and see before I change anything.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 17, 2:51 pm

ah I forgot I use those in the system.

geek_drcspy, Mar 17, 3:05 pm

It's free website hosting so I don't really mind.Just a basic website for him.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 17, 3:22 pm

Looks like a business website to me, offering furniture restoration, so I presume it's purpose is for advertising and providing information. Loading speed may not be an issue with such a small website, but with free hosting it can also be unreliable. It could cost them business if someone visiting it can't access it, all for the sake of a few bucks a month in hosting fees.

geek_mattnzw, Mar 17, 3:58 pm

Or do a hard refresh of the site by holding Ctrl + F5.

Anyway, the site doesn't load for me. Might just be because my ISP's DNS server (Xnet) hasn't been updated with the sites records yet.

geek_lostdude, Mar 17, 4:32 pm

The problem is the ttl on your A records won't have timed out yet.

Some providers also cache this information for 24 hours even if you set a short ttl in your zone file.

D

geek_dongould, Mar 17, 4:38 pm

Your email is fine because you're using google and I suspect you might have been doing that before you changed the web host, in which case the dns entry change would have no impact because they both point in the same direction.

Does this all make sense!

geek_dongould, Mar 17, 4:40 pm

@lostdude I'm also with xnet so it looks like they haven't updated it yet.It works when I changed to google public DNS.

@don I changed the MX records yesterday, it did take google about 2 hours to see the changes though.I'm not 100% up with the play on this stuff I only tinkle with DNS every now and then, but pretty sure it's all good now.I think the problem was simply xnet hasn't updated yet.

I'll remove the google dns settings tomorrow and check if it loads.Cheers.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 17, 4:50 pm

I can't tell what your old ttls where.Can you tell me what the xnet dns servers are!Then I can tell you what the ttls are currently sitting at.

geek_dongould, Mar 17, 4:52 pm

4.2 is up to date but 6.2 still has the old record in it.

[root@bowen ~]# dig www.mjstark2003.co.nz @58.28.6.2 ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.mjstark2003.co.nz @58.28.6.2 ;; global options:printcmd ;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 11229
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 7, ADDITIONAL: 12

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.mjstark2003.co.nz.INA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.mjstark2003.co.nz.12265INA202.27.76.67

As you can see the TTL is 12265 seconds.

You should have updated the TTL to 300 before you moved it and let the old TTLs time out.

geek_dongould, Mar 17, 5:02 pm

He was with xtra so just had the domain and email account, no web hosting.I don't 100% understand the time to live stuff.So how do get it to update quicker or I have to wait now, not that it's a big issue as he hasn't had a website for years so a bit longer won't hurt.

geek_greattrade4, Mar 17, 5:09 pm

You can't update it faster.You just have to wait for it to time out.The TTL counts down.So it was 12265 when I checked it, but it won't be that now.

It's about 3.5 hours.So you should be sweet by 10pm.

D

geek_dongould, Mar 17, 5:19 pm