Vodafone 3G

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/71/163602971_full.jpg

Most of the time my apps just time themselves out. Browsing is non existent most of the time too. Ive contacted Vodafone and they just don't want a bar of it. Most of these tests have been done within 5KM of Auckland CBD at various locations. Terrible terrible

geek_wickywa, Mar 17, 6:50 pm

most of those tests look like they have been done on 2G :P

geek_l43a2, Mar 17, 6:55 pm

haha if only........ its bloody atrocious. Even doing tests on Ponsonby Road and Queen St bring the same results. Im still trying my best to get out of my contract

geek_wickywa, Mar 17, 6:56 pm

also 3G in auckland is only on freq 2100 see coverage maps here http://www.vodafone.co.nz/coverage/ when it doesnt get enough 2100 coverage it will drop down to 2G which in turn gives u a shitty data speed

geek_l43a2, Mar 17, 6:59 pm

yeh im well and truly within the 3G range. Seems like a lot of other people are in the same boat too.

geek_wickywa, Mar 17, 7:01 pm

indoors or outdoors when doing the tests?

geek_l43a2, Mar 17, 7:02 pm

Both. Ive tried all different options. Ive just restored my IPhone from a jailbreak just to double check that wasn't affecting it, but no luck.

geek_wickywa, Mar 17, 7:03 pm

put in an XT simcard and test it haha

geek_l43a2, Mar 17, 7:06 pm

Im tempted, but everyone i know has a vodafone sim. Might pop up to a Telecom store tomorrow and have a word.

geek_wickywa, Mar 17, 7:09 pm

Vodafone have apparantly got some SMS deals for people still on prepay that need offnet texting now. Funny that finally happens when they are hemorrhaging customers over to 2 degrees.

geek_richms, Mar 17, 11:51 pm

And just today I had this stupid loyal boy who argued with foam on his lips that Vodafone is the best and nothing bad will happen to it, because he reads economic journals. Apparently, according to him, Vodafone NZ is worthy of being mentioned in any of them. The $12 2500 txt to any network is about 12 months too late, the biggest mistake Vodafone made was to let customers try competition by not matching or bettering the deals offered by rival networks. Now they want to retain what's left. All 2Degrees need to do to knock Vodafone off its perch completely is offer BestMates.

geek_enigma, Mar 17, 11:55 pm

I got a vodafone mobile data stick last week when I had to go to hospital unexpectedly. It was slower than a wet day inhospital....

slow slow slow.... BUT it was better than nothing - it was ok for a brief look at facebook or one page of the newspaper.... and it dropped out several times....It also switched between 3g and gprs... 3g was much better but man was it painful. Got 2G and the stick for $80. I was away for about 4 days and only used about 150mb.... but largely due to slowness.. you can also text from your laptop with it too but who can be bothered....

geek_TopRank, Mar 18, 12:19 am

Yeah, noticed slowness with Voda 3G as well. Not only that, they have a tendency to miscalculate used data and deny any liability or offer explanation. Mind you, with 2Degrees 1Gb for $20 I no longer worry. With Voda I was either charged $1, even if all I got was 1 e-mail, or they claimed I spend 15Mb in less than 2 hours in the middle of the night while I wasn't even home. I was asked today if I am going to come back to Voda now that they offer texting to any network. As if...

geek_enigma, Mar 18, 12:30 am

Im with slingshot and I have had no problems and thay go thru vodaphones net works.slingshot is way reliable and cheaper than vodaphone.

geek_skyline26, Mar 18, 12:52 am

I have had signal disappear many times on my slingshot handset when in the city, and then come back a few mins later. Its set to 3g only because I dont own a 3g phone to have it fall back to 2g all the time since that puts buzz on the headphone amp I use when playing music.

Anyway, tried to get a complaint with them, they blamed the handset which is funny since it never does it at home....

once the term is up and I am starting to have to pay per month, I will take them over to 2 degrees. But I did find today a place where 2degrees 3g sucks and VF was ok - remuera shops.

geek_richms, Mar 18, 1:19 am

indoors or outdoors when doing the tests!

geek_l43a2, Mar 18, 7:02 pm

And just today I had this stupid loyal boy who argued with foam on his lips that Vodafone is the best and nothing bad will happen to it, because he reads economic journals. Apparently, according to him, Vodafone NZ is worthy of being mentioned in any of them. The $12 2500 txt to any network is about 12 months too late, the biggest mistake Vodafone made was to let customers try competition by not matching or bettering the deals offered by rival networks. Now they want to retain what's left. All 2Degrees need to do to knock Vodafone off its perch completely is offer BestMates.

geek_enigma, Mar 18, 11:55 pm

I got a vodafone mobile data stick last week when I had to go to hospital unexpectedly. It was slower than a wet day inhospital.

slow slow slow. BUT it was better than nothing - it was ok for a brief look at facebook or one page of the newspaper. and it dropped out several times.It also switched between 3g and gprs. 3g was much better but man was it painful. Got 2G and the stick for $80. I was away for about 4 days and only used about 150mb. but largely due to slowness. you can also text from your laptop with it too but who can be bothered.

geek_TopRank, Mar 19, 12:19 am

Yeah, noticed slowness with Voda 3G as well. Not only that, they have a tendency to miscalculate used data and deny any liability or offer explanation. Mind you, with 2Degrees 1Gb for $20 I no longer worry. With Voda I was either charged $1, even if all I got was 1 e-mail, or they claimed I spend 15Mb in less than 2 hours in the middle of the night while I wasn't even home. I was asked today if I am going to come back to Voda now that they offer texting to any network. As if.

geek_enigma, Mar 19, 12:30 am

I have had signal disappear many times on my slingshot handset when in the city, and then come back a few mins later. Its set to 3g only because I dont own a 3g phone to have it fall back to 2g all the time since that puts buzz on the headphone amp I use when playing music.

Anyway, tried to get a complaint with them, they blamed the handset which is funny since it never does it at home.

once the term is up and I am starting to have to pay per month, I will take them over to 2 degrees. But I did find today a place where 2degrees 3g sucks and VF was ok - remuera shops.

geek_richms, Mar 19, 1:19 am