Advice for Laptop with dead screen HP DV6500

Turns on and as far as can tell all is fine apart from screen, so just deciding if I should look at fixing or replacing.

# are screens economical to get repaired?
# budget is limited so may look at a 2nd hand machine, is it easy to put my original HD into a new laptop? Id get a tech guy to do it, more meaning are laptop HDs a universal fit

geek_gmarshy, Mar 20, 10:28 pm

Funny you should ask about this, I have had my HP dv5 screen replaced in the first year I had the notebook. The screen has gone again now, it is only 2.3 years old. The price I was quoted last week was $440.45 to have it fixed. I am going to take this to the DT in the next week or so. How old is your laptop?

geek_sneps, Mar 20, 10:33 pm

thanks for the reply...laptop has seen about 2.5-3yrs of heavy usage.
What is a DT ?

geek_gmarshy, Mar 20, 10:39 pm

The Disputes Tribunal, Citizens advice says laptop should last for 4-7 years, so I am currently building a case. As I said to the guy at Noel Leeming, laptops should last over the 2.3 years I have had mine, I should not have to fork out $1600 every two odd years.

geek_sneps, Mar 20, 10:47 pm

I would prob agree laptops wont last 7 years, but if the manufactures built better laptops and we paid a bit more them that would be fine. less stuff going into land fill as well.

geek_sneps, Mar 20, 10:50 pm

Try hooking up an external monitor to the laptop just to make sure it is the screen. If it's not the screen, I'd almost reckon it'll be the video chip.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 21, 2:58 am

Thanks for that, the laptop is in PN at Noel L at the mo. It has been assessed and it is the screen that has gone again.

geek_sneps, Mar 21, 12:34 pm

You can get most laptop screens for around $200 and fitting for around $40.I just had a new one put on my Acer WSXGA 15.4 in.

geek_smine, Mar 21, 5:05 pm

Do you have Nvidia 8600M GT graphics?? Its a known fault, basically it will die its just a matter of when.

geek_malachiman, Mar 21, 5:17 pm

On to it, hakatere1

HP really turned to crap when vista came out.

geek_pcfix4u, Mar 21, 6:15 pm

I tried that, it didnt automatically send video to external monitor and I couldnt blindly fudge my way through the options to send video to alternate screen.

geek_gmarshy, Mar 21, 8:14 pm

Found a review of machine online and it had this under Graphics
"Intel X3100"

geek_gmarshy, Mar 21, 8:22 pm

Turns on and as far as can tell all is fine apart from screen, so just deciding if I should look at fixing or replacing.

# are screens economical to get repaired!
# budget is limited so may look at a 2nd hand machine, is it easy to put my original HD into a new laptop! Id get a tech guy to do it, more meaning are laptop HDs a universal fit

geek_gmarshy, Mar 21, 10:28 pm

Funny you should ask about this, I have had my HP dv5 screen replaced in the first year I had the notebook. The screen has gone again now, it is only 2.3 years old. The price I was quoted last week was $440.45 to have it fixed. I am going to take this to the DT in the next week or so. How old is your laptop!

geek_sneps, Mar 21, 10:33 pm

thanks for the reply.laptop has seen about 2.5-3yrs of heavy usage.
What is a DT !

geek_gmarshy, Mar 21, 10:39 pm

Try hooking up an external monitor to the laptop just to make sure it is the screen. If it's not the screen, I'd almost reckon it'll be the video chip.

geek_hakatere1, Mar 22, 2:58 am

Do you have Nvidia 8600M GT graphics! Its a known fault, basically it will die its just a matter of when.

geek_malachiman, Mar 22, 5:17 pm